PDA

View Full Version : New Dogfight server- Check it Out!

RSCherry
04-07-2005, 12:50 PM
The 411 Shark Squadron now has a dedicated server- check it out on Hyperlobby:

EDIT: new server name World At War

We invite all to come and fly with us!

This will be one of the fastest servers on Hyperlobby. Our server is located in the Eastern US. Even with a DSL connection, I routinely get pings in the low 20's from Pennsylvania.

We invite feedback on the maps, game settings, etc. to help us improve the server for the benefit of all. Feel free to post suggestions here, I will be checking back frequently.

Some general questions for the group- what type of maps, planes, settings, etc. are you interested in? Do you prefer early or late era plane sets? Do you prefer to have just a few planes to choose from or many? Full realism settings or something less? What servers do you enjoy flying in the most, and why?

Regards,

411sq_Carnage

RSCherry
04-07-2005, 12:50 PM
The 411 Shark Squadron now has a dedicated server- check it out on Hyperlobby:

EDIT: new server name World At War

We invite all to come and fly with us!

This will be one of the fastest servers on Hyperlobby. Our server is located in the Eastern US. Even with a DSL connection, I routinely get pings in the low 20's from Pennsylvania.

We invite feedback on the maps, game settings, etc. to help us improve the server for the benefit of all. Feel free to post suggestions here, I will be checking back frequently.

Some general questions for the group- what type of maps, planes, settings, etc. are you interested in? Do you prefer early or late era plane sets? Do you prefer to have just a few planes to choose from or many? Full realism settings or something less? What servers do you enjoy flying in the most, and why?

Regards,

411sq_Carnage

Firebird_79vRAF
04-07-2005, 04:30 PM
~S~

We at 79vRAF prefer the maps where we are able to get on SilverAce's six a lot. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Scen
04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Congrats on setting up the server that's great!

Just an observation regarding some of the servers. I noticed there isn't much in the way of variety. Most servers out there are usually using EU maps with late war plane sets. There are only a few that are doing the PF map sets and to be honest it's a nice change.

What I really enjoy about this sim is the variety. Mix up the era maps and plane sets.

Don't get me wrong I like late war stuff but come on change it up a little.

Just my 2 cents

Scendore

EnGaurde
04-07-2005, 05:21 PM
good to see.

how bout, leaving icons on?

only descriptions of aircraft, under 1km would be fine.

i find iconless servers to be a dangerous place to fly.... ive been tk'd a few times.

to me, it represents the situational awareness afforded by a working radio system, ground controllers and a comprehensive briefing before flight. Not to mention overcoming the drawbacks of pixels at longer ranges.

with them off, its like you flew off in your private, radio-less fighter up into a warzone and left your glasses behind.

what usually ends up happening is that everyone takes a shot at you.

its not realism, its highlighting the limitations in the engine and the unordered chaos of DF servers. Anyone who is convinced it aids realism is a tad misguided methinks.

Leave it for organised, teamspeak connected, squadron flights (ideally coop)where everyone is talking to everyone else, and the previous amount of organisation eliminates the lottery of friend or foe.

RSCherry
04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
As Murphy

~S~ Firebird. Funny, I seen to recall Silverace saying the same about KK!

Scen- We have several early pacific maps in the rotation for just the reasons you mentioned.

EnGaurde- We have had a lot of discussion internally within the squad regarding icons. No conclusion yet, but we are all in favor of limiting icons in some way. Not sure where we will end up on this one, but I'd like to hear more opinions on the topic.

We will probably set up a TS server (red & blue) in the near future too.

Keep the comments coming!

Carnage

WTE_DuStA
04-07-2005, 06:43 PM
when you say hosted on a dsl connection . Do you mean it's co-hosted at an isp or hosted on a home dsl connection and if so then what speed dsl connection

RSCherry
04-08-2005, 07:16 AM
WTE_DuStA- We are hosting on a dedicated, high speed server. I don't recall what the connection type is, but I was assured by the technical experts in the squad it was the fastest game server available.

When I mentioned DSL, I was referring to my own personal connection to the server at home- I have a DSL line. Most folks are running a cable connection, which they say is about 3x faster than the DSL connection I have. My point was that my pings are very low, even with the limitation of a DSL connection, so the cable folks should be really happy!

Quick note- we changed the server name, look for World At War to be back up and running early this weekend!

Carnage

stevedeth2004
04-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Carnage,

I would second the post on Icons from EnGaurde. My situation is that I just started playing online a month or so ago. I started with UBI and then tried some spots on HL. I find that the no Icon servers are not that much fun for me, for the same reasons mentioned. I think without coms it is a **** shoot. I also find that I like the cockpit on instead of the ctl F1 views as I am not as good at that and it makes it more gamey.

The best balance I have found is icons at about 1.5 in a neutral color then less than 1.0 in the color. Type and model even can be eleminated. If there was a way to grey out icons in a cloud that would be cool.

Anyway thanks, I will try your server next!

AFJ_Locust
04-08-2005, 11:28 AM
41,42,43 planesets would be cool

Dont forget my P38 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Te_Vigo
04-08-2005, 11:40 AM
A good fast server is aways welcome.
well done on taking the initiative but when it comes to icon settings..............it seems someone will always be upset no matter which way you go.
It's just human nature I guess.
Except that flyers with high quality equipment will have it all over those who don't, when it comes to no icons.

anyway try these settings and see what you think:

DOT 14
COLOR 1.75
TYPE 1.75
NAME 0.06
ID 0.35
RANGE 0.01

RSCherry
04-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Stevedeth- I see your point on the icons. Our goal is to create a realistic level of realism without going overboard. The icon issue will be discussed in great detail tonight at our squad meeting, not sure where we will wind up. We may decide to change it in a week, month or year, who knows? You mentioned that you have been flying online for about a month- you may find that your opinion changes considerably after 6 months or a year regarding icons. I know mine did!

Regarding coms, you are right! we plan to set up a TS server for use by all, the IP address will be posted when it's available. If you don't already use TS, I highly recommend it. Bottom line is, players using coms have a huge advantage over those flying without.

Locust- yea, we like to older plane sets too. There will be at least a few maps limited to older plane sets only. I even suggested a biplane only map, but got shot down on that one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Vigo- no doubt that no matter what icon settings we come up with, someone will not be happy. Our goal is to strike the best balance of realism and playability for the majority of the players. Help me understand what these settings mean/do?

DOT 14
COLOR 1.75
TYPE 1.75
NAME 0.06
ID 0.35
RANGE 0.01

Thanks to all who have contributed, your opinions are greatly valued! Keep the comments coming!

Carnage

Te_Vigo
04-08-2005, 01:32 PM
S!

The dot is the plane in the distance.
The type and color, is plane model and team denomination
The ID is the plane's callsign
Name is the pilot's callsign.

What the reasoning is, is;
The current hardware cannot recreate real life visually. It can only offer something that is representative of real life.

Dot: (default setting)
A compromise between real life and hardware, being what looks right and what works on screen

Type: (only the type of plane is visible)
Most RL pilots all seem to say at about 3 - 5 K, one should able to identify a plane, bearing in mind there are all sorts of different factors, such a haze, bright sun, etc, etc, as well as not being trained in looking for something that is looking for you to kill you.
But on the monitor at 3-5k the plane is still a dot and visually, it doesn't look right to ID a dot, so I thought lets set it to something that looks right, so I chose that to be when the wings pop out of the dot.
This means you have a chance to elude detection, until they are close enough that they can see you clearly anyway.

Color:
If you are close enough to ID the plane, you will know if it is a friend or foe anyway, so color is a bit moot pointish

ID: (plane type as well as callsign)
In keeping with something that is representative of real life, there would come a point at which one can clearly ID the plane's callsign and know who is flying in it.
I chose 350m, because it fits with the Type icon distance being a bit closer than in RL. It is also about the point at which the roundels start to become distinguishable onscreen. (This of course varies with all the varied hardware there is out there)

Range:
well it is basically turned off. How many planes in RL have how far they are away from you on them and these planes didn't have radar. So out it went, except for training up noobs.

Name:
A bit mootish as well but why not?

Basically, I thought about those with low end hardware and leveling the playing field, as well as those who just don't want to screw their eyesight up and in keeping things realistic but at the current level of technology this can only be done with an aid. Admittedly, with icons it is unrealistic as far as using thin clouds to escape but if you get into the thick of the cloud, you can still get away and with the water the way it is at the moment there is no real defintion of the plane against it. More often than not, it is I feel, easy for a grey zero to just dissappear into the water.

SweetMonkeyLuv
04-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm brand spankin new to online, and the game in general, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but....

I agree with the sentiment for early war planesets. I've just recently started playing online, and I was pretty disappointed that I had a hard time finding early war Euro stuff. Maybe I was just not looking hard enough, but I expected to find loads of BoB recreations with nothing later than SpitVs, Hurris, P40s 109Fs, HE-111s, and early Stukas. All the ones I saw were including mid and late war planesets.

AFJ_Locust
04-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Cherry

Hi I canot find your server in HL

The name is World at War ?

AVG_WarHawk
04-08-2005, 01:39 PM
PLZ include bomber objectives. As far as icons, I like gg servers idea of frienly incons only, but if you feel you must have both friendly and foe, make them fairly close range icons.

RSCherry
04-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Te_Vigo- Thanks for the detailed explaination, that helps me a lot! You analysis is well thought out.

SweetMonkeyLuv- There seems to be a lot of interest in the older planes. I think the reason you don't see too many BoB maps is that there is no map of the UK available! Not to give too much away, but we have a BoB style map planned for the rotation. As much as I like IL2/PF, I have to say the map in CFS3 is much better to work with since it covers all of Western europe.

Locust- The server name is "World At War"...however it is down at the moment while we introduce some upgrades (sorry!). Look for it to be back up either later tonight or Saturday (EST).

AVG_WarHawk- I like your thinking on the bombers. We have discussed this aspect a lot within the squad. We feel that every map should have ground objectives, and bombers will be available in those maps where they are appropriate.

Thanks everyone for the constructive dialog, it is very helpful. Keep those comments coming!

Carnage

stevedeth2004
04-08-2005, 02:26 PM
RS,

No thank you! for taking the time to listen to opinions. I also find that it gets boring fast if everyone has LA-7s and Spit IXs. On the UBI server I like the Vossecks Carrier battle. The year switiches every hour. Starting today with 1940 (was 41) through 44. You have to sink the ships before American and Japanese planes are useful. The best is rolling victory conditions and a "mission" like that or you have 30 planes left etc.

I am a decent pilot get shot down, shoot some pretty good guys down, but time is limited so it is really cool to find a place with good balance and variety. If I only have a few hours to play I want to go someplace fun where I have a chance, and don't get pounced on take off by 5 LA-7s.

mtnman4
04-08-2005, 05:34 PM
~S~ gentlemen!

As Mr. Cherry pointed out, the server is down for some upgrades & preventive maintenence but should be up & running smoothly friday night. (crossed fingers).
As for the maps, we have 9 rotating maps that are objective driven. If objective are reached the map will change to the next one. If not, then a 90 minute time limit is used. There are various maps in the PTO, ETO & North Africa theaters. Each map represents a different year of the war. ( Since we have 9 maps obviously, some years are played more than once in a rotation but always a different map).
Plane sets go according to the year of map being played. i.e. 1940 map-1940 planes. 1941 maps 1942 planes and so on.
So thank you all for your suggestions & questions, it has been most helpful.
We are trying to offer something different from the others yet make something fun for everyone.

Look for the World at War! in the HL this weekend.

~S~ 411_Mtnman
CO-411Sharks