PDA

View Full Version : Using the PE-2 Level Bombsight

XyZspineZyX
01-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I have spent many an hour practising level bombing in B25's and HE-111's and have finally found a new best friend in the PE-2 Peshka.

Even better in the PE-2 since if you set the altitude and speed, a little arrow moves around in the sight to tell you what degree you need to use. This is great since I don't need to keep looking up my paperwork on the bombrun anymore.

But even when the target is at sea-level, my airspeed is constant and the sight configured correctly, my bombs seem to fall a bit too long and when you're trying to get precision bombing, it can be a real pain in the tail-pipe.

Obviously I'm using the sight incorrectly and was just wondering if anyone could say in a nutshell what I was doing wrong.

My first guess would be airspeed. To date, I have been setting the bombsight to the small overlay at the bottom left of the screen (the speed bar) sicne it gives me an accurate reading.

I'm on V4.071 if thats relevant.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Rob.

SnapdLikeAMutha
01-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Stargazer-Woods:

My first guess would be airspeed. To date, I have been setting the bombsight to the small overlay at the bottom left of the screen (the speed bar) sicne it gives me an accurate reading.

There's your problem

The speedbar gives Indicated Airspeed, you will need to set the sight using True Airspeed (which is the one you get in the big yellow dial when you turn off cockpit view using CTRL+F1)

Alternatively there are all sorts of clever formulas and charts and tables and whatnot that you can consult to determine your TAS given your IAS, altitude, air temperature, what colour socks you are wearing and whether or not you had fish for dinner, but I can never be bothered with all that jazz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ernst_Rohr
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Check a couple of the sites for the java bomb utility. Its a little java window that you can plug you alt and ISA into, and get a TAS back out.

Makes it a lot easier, and if you fly on full switch servers, its the only way short of keeping tables that will get you the correct TAS.

JG54_Lukas
01-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:
Check a couple of the sites for the java bomb utility. Its a little java window that you can plug you alt and ISA into, and get a TAS back out.

Makes it a lot easier, and if you fly on full switch servers, its the only way short of keeping tables that will get you the correct TAS.

If you are thinking of Bombsight Table 2, then yes, it's a great little utility.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/files/essentials/Bombsight_Table_2.zip

Philipscdrw
01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I just printed off the IAS-to-TAS table. I have one side with altitude in feet, the other side with altitude in metres, and it's blu-tacked along one edge to the wall next to my chair so I can turn it over easily. Just fudge some interpolation between the two nearest height and speed values.

What really is crippling is the lack of elevation data - you need to know height, not altitude, for setting the bombsight, but you can only guess at that... If the map had contours on it, you could roughly work out the height of your target above sea level and subtract that from your altitude to get your height above the target.

What I normally do in level bombers, with reasonable success, is to fly a constant altitude, feed that altitude minus 'a bit' to the bombsight, and adjust the speed control to keep the bombsight still. When the bombsight isn't moving relative to the ground, and I know the bombsight height is roughly correct, then I know the bombs will fall in the area I want them to.

Stargazer_RobW
01-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Many thanks peeps.

I'll give it some severe testing tomorrow night. I have college and a Squadron meet so I wont know until after work tomorrow how good I am.

I've downloaded the table that was linked to by Lukas so I should (technically) now be able to do all that I need to do...

Many thanks everyone.

Rob.