PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Far Cry (not instincts) instead of Half Life 2?

Sk8er588
09-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey, I just got a new computer and i need some new games but i dont want to spend alot help me out a bit

bjanga
09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
I have played both. FC runs better on a lower-end machine than HL2.

If you want a run-n-gun, easy, bam-bam boom-boom type game get HL2. If you want a slower, tense experience that rewards tactical experimentation, get FC. Far Cry also has superior lighting.

jskruB05
09-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Depending on your new rig's specs, FarCry will either frustrate the heck out you, or amaze you with it's beautiful environments. Quite possibly the perfect game.

The single player is long and entertaining, as well as a challenging, and the online community is such that if you play enough you will make friends for life. Sad to say, this game deserves more respect than it gets.

I do not own HL2, so I cannot comment.

hUNTERcROW
09-27-2005, 09:08 PM
FarCry looks better.. has a far better online game mode "Assault" which is action packed and requires practice to be good at..
If you have to pick one.. get FarCry

If your only into Deathmatch games.. then it probably wont matter which.

Sk8er588
09-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Well my computer has battlefeild 2 running on high graphics and I didn't buy that $600 nvidia card

fabulouscoops
09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Get both. Far Cry is the better game IMO and can be had for less than $20, even less for a used game. HL2 is also a great game but not as replayable.
The way I describe HL2 is that it is like a good book by a favorite author. You read it, enjoy it and put it on the shelf satisfied.
Far Cry is much more. The non-linear gameplay and smart AI make it a game you play again and again to try new tactics. The multiplayer community is small but tightly knit.
Make sure your computer can handle these games though as they both require top of the line video cards to get the best experience.

jskruB05
09-27-2005, 09:58 PM
watch <span class="ev_code_RED">this</span> (http://files.filefront.com/Fort_Movie/;4030092;;/fileinfo.html). I made this a while back for a friend who had the demo and wanted to see what it looked like on my rig.

Stringed_Evil
09-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Well there is just so many used copys out there of farcry. People get it with graphics cards or ram FREE all the time (my friend got another version today http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) and ebay em.

The game is definately, unquestionably worth buying. It is my favourite game for multiple reasons.

I own HL2 and have played it through once, it's well done... like a good movie you only want to watch once.. unless you are a huge fan of the genre and go back for more. CS:S is excellent if you find the right servers, not to mention the 600+ HL2 mods in production.

my recommendation is : Get farcry, bargin bin price...beat it... then get HL2. With each game, don't forget about the community Maps and mods hehe.

Sk8er588
09-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Okay, thanks guys I'm gonna get Far Cry first then maybe HL2

Warkid1993
09-29-2005, 06:48 AM
I got Far Cry first like a month after it came out, then a year later (about last month) I bought HL2.

P.S. I AM GETTING BOORED OF FAR CRY... :-(

Bring Far Cry instincts to us! Or else.........

( If you ask "Or else what?", my answer is "Exactly..."

Javelin3o4
09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
i bought HL2 and loaded it, played for like 10mins and turned it off havent played it since and that was after it first came out. Bought BF2 DVD version when it came out opened the package but never installed it. Ive only played the BF2 demo. I still just play FC

del130805102634
09-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Far Cry rules

Ubisoft and Crytek should get a NOBEL prize for making a Far Cry

FAR CRY RULES!!! FOREVER!!!

mambonuts
10-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Boy...I don't know what HL2 game you guys have been playing, but it's an awesome game...

As far as the AI goes...I think it's quite top notch. But then, there's no way to compare FarCry, and HL2...because, after all, they are very different games.

As Fabulouscoops said, "Get both"...FarCry costs next to nothing now, and HL2 also has the 'Source Map Editor', CounterStrike Source, and HL2 Deathmatch included in the game package.

But then, that's my opinion... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bjanga
10-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by mambonuts:HL2 also has the 'Source Map Editor', CounterStrike Source, and HL2 Deathmatch included in the game package.
FC also includes a kickass editor. Source can do some things better than Cryengine, but cry is a much more robust engine in my opinion.

My problem with HL2 is that it feels like a chore to complete. The atmosphere is SUPER well done, but the weapons suck (especially when compared to Painkiller) and the level design is all linear.

I played HL2DM (and some mods, like ctf) for awhile, but the weapons seem poorly balanced. (and the gravity gun is not my thing)

CounterStrike Source suffers from poor weapons balance, too. There are only like 5 weapons total that an average player can do well with.

Like String said, HL2 is great . . . but I have no desire to play it again.

Sk8er, if you are still reading, you may want to think about buying Painkiller. The 'Black' version cost me $30US and it includes the expansion to the game. You need the 1.61, 1.62, and 1.64 patch to make your install current. The multiplayer is dead, but the singleplayer is sweet. It goes like this: the game autosaves, you step into an arena and some heavy music starts playing. All the exits slide shut, enemies teleport in, and the place turns into a giant mosh pit. Rinse and repeat.
Sounds mindless, and it is, but its more entertaining than HL2 to me. Especially in the later levels, there are so many explosions and physicalized objects flying around it is just absolute mayhem.

mambonuts
10-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by bjanga:
FC also includes a kickass editor. Source can do some things better than Cryengine, but cry is a much more robust engine in my opinion.

My problem with HL2 is that it feels like a chore to complete. The atmosphere is SUPER well done, but the weapons suck (especially when compared to Painkiller) and the level design is all linear.

Why is it, every time you mention HL2 at this site, it seems to turn into a 'fanboy' argument by FarCry diehards...

I love FarCry, just like the rest of you, and "yes bjanga"...it does have an amazing editor...which I've used before...

As I said, it's only my opinion...and, the games are too different to really compare...They're both really great games, and groundbreakers in the 'graphical presentation' department...

I frequent HL2 sites as well, but you don't seem to see people there bashing FarCry as much as you do HL2...

Maybe it's a no-win argument on both sides of the fence...

Right now, I'm trying out 'FarCry Instincts' online, and it is loads of fun...and if HL2 comes out on Xbox, I might give that a whirl also...

You guys just seem a little too narrow minded sometimes...but then again, that's just my opinion... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

chocolate_swirl
10-02-2005, 10:04 AM
They are both kickass games. Farcry is very cheap though (price wise) so u probably want to get that first. it is also just a tiny bit less demanding in terms of pc requiremnts. Also: whoever said that hl2 was an easy run'n'gun was wrong. hl2 involves lots of thinking puzzles (which are alot of fun as they are based around physics). i say get both!

chocolate_swirl
10-02-2005, 10:05 AM
o yeah, i forgot. i played farcry instincts....... and IT'S AWESOME!

HondaManUK
10-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Don't waste your time with Far Cry, Its a flakey game with loads of problems, since the release of patch 1.33 i find it impossible to get multiplayer to work and Ubisoft are unable to help eigher. but you can pick up HL2 for only 20 now and i'm my opinion it the best game i've ever played and i've played alot of them.

Shutup77
10-02-2005, 01:20 PM
i dont know about you guys but when i see a good movie or read a good book i watch it or read it again i dont just never touch it again. Far cry is fun cause you can sneak around and such but not everything is perfect. i would get HL2 and farcry HL2 is really fun they are different games so its hard to really compare i mean half life 2 has smoother graphics imo but far cry has bigger more in depth levels. i dunno get both.

cobrasixtysix
10-03-2005, 03:45 AM
HL2 was realy disapointing for me, Farcry was not.If You can have only the one, I would go for Farcry.

cobrasixtysix
10-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Oh yeah, by the way, although both games played perfectly on my machine, Multiplay is missing something in both.For MP games they both suck in my opinion.

H3LL1ON
10-03-2005, 10:52 PM
As a major diehard fan of HalfLife for 6yrs now, I was very impressed with Farcry. I thought Farcry was much harder to complete then HL2. I also like the ability to explore more of the maps better in FC.
I just found HL2 wayyyyy to easy to figure out the maps and blasted thru it too fast. Dont get me wrong, HL2 is a brilliant game in SP, but MP totaly blows monkeys. Its way too noobed out without the tau and longjump. Its very buggy and updates are non-existant. I havent really played farcry MP much, never could find a good running server that had a good ping or people playing.

I say buy both, but Farcry first. IMO though, nothing beats HL1DM for the best MP game except mabey Counterstrike.

mromerop
10-17-2005, 10:02 PM
To me, both games are good, but don't forget something HL2 REQUIRES (note the uppercase) Internet connection (a big bandwidth) to download the game, even if you have a retail package

chiefmegadeth
10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
FAR CRY INSTINCTS get it because theres no M/P
for hafe life 2on xbox

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Chief he is a PC gamer, hence the "Not Instincts" in the title...you are on the wong forum...

CuZ