PDA

View Full Version : keep desmond to minimum

Grandmaster_Z
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
the reason AC is so good is because of the past time settings. keep desmond minimal if possible.

RipYourSpineOut
12-13-2010, 02:47 PM
You DO realize Desmond is the actual main protagonist right, and keeping his appearance to a minimum is both impossible and not smart? I mean, they can't just abandon his story. DESMOND is the one who's saving the world, not Ezio or Altair. Despite how awesome they are, Desmond is the star here. I think it's about damn time we let him shine.

-drops 2 cents-

magesupermaster
12-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I like Desmond! You've got a problem with him? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Anyway, Desmond is the real protagonist(Yes, yes, it's real mind boggling..) and I want Desmond to be the real hero he will be!

Grandmaster_Z
12-13-2010, 02:55 PM
make desmonds story for the DS or psp...lol

Moryarity
12-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I have not yet finished the game, but I like the idea of Desmond being also a "memory", that is someone yet unknown is reliving Desmonds memories..I think this would be a nice idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

itsamea-mario
12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
the desmond parts are some of my favourite parts.
and usually i look forward to the times when i play as him, also with desmond you get all his support characters, such as shaun.

gutarjunky
12-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
the reason AC is so good is because of the past time settings. keep desmond minimal if possible.

good luck trying to get that idea through.
you are probably the only one who thinks that
i personally want to see a whole game with only desmond

RebeccaLH
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I realy wasnt interested in Desmond in Ac 1 or 2
But now his story's getting more interesting i want more desmond.
Plus what everyone else said, he is the main charachter of the game.
More desmond please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

itsamea-mario
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
^^^agree totally agree^^^

RebeccaLH
12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
^^^agree totally agree^^^
WOO.

eagleforlife1
12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree with the OP. 99% of games on the market are set in modern times. Ubisoft have something really unique in which we get to interact with real historical events and walk round places that we'll never be able to in any other game. Desmond is the main protagonist but he only knows his next move after visiting the memories of his ancestors. It would defeat the object of the game to remove the Animus completely. I wouldn't mind being able to play as Desmond and having assassination targets with him as long as the majority of the game is set in the past in the Animus.

XVinny84X
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM

How about you keep yourself to the minimum?? You monster:-\

assassin087
12-13-2010, 05:13 PM
The reason ac is so good id because it is an ac game.

kriegerdesgottes
12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Agreed, However I think Desmond should have a good amount of time in the game I def agree that it's the ancestors and historic settings that make the games great and not some boring bar tender. But I agree he is important to the story.

Canabary
12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
First we were captured by Abstergo and forced to find the location of the apple. Desmond did this by accessing Altair's memories.

We then learned that Abstergo were evil (or at least not assassins) and we had to run, they hadn't found the apple either (yay), the Assasins decided that Desmond, who now knew a hell of a lot about Assassins and Templars should be trained, and the quickest way to do that was by reliving Ezio's training. They also wanted to find the apple which had been lost.

Then when we were trained we had to run from Abstergo again, just before learning what happened to the apple, so we had to go back into the Animus and figure that one out while hiding.

The next logical step, now that Desmond is fully trained and **MINOR SPOILER** we do have the apple **MINOR SPOILER**, is for him to not use the Animus (which has some nasty side effects after long term use) and be a real assassin in the real world.

I seriously doubt Desmond can take much more of the Animus before the bleeding effect becomes too much.

Razrback16
12-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I like Desmond a lot. Although I'm extremely disappointed by what transpired at the end of ACB with Lucy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I enjoyed their interaction a lot and hope things will rebound on a positive note in the next game.

LadyGahan2010
12-13-2010, 09:24 PM
I agree too with the OP. Desmond is merely a shell and I can't care too much. I hated to be pulled out of animus in AC1 - the longest and most boring time ever. If it wasn't trophies and seeing Monteriggioni in present, I wouldn't even leave animus for a split second.
Blah blah - "he's the main protagonist" - no, he isn't.

SAVMATIC
12-13-2010, 09:28 PM
desmond sucks. you could have zero playtime as desmond in any of these games and they would still be every bit as popular as they are now. i thought one of the main features of AC games was the ability to play in historical settings, but i guess less people appreciate this than I expected. I would never be interested in an all desmond game. fortunately it seems Ubi knows better than to do that.
maybe his character will develop into a badass over time but as it is he is just so lame and its beyond me why anyone is a big fan of him.

SAVMATIC
12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by LadyGahan2010:
Blah blah - "he's the main protagonist" - no, he isn't.

thankyou, this is such a stupid statement people try to make. you realize without the stories of Altair & Ezio these games would be pretty ****ing lame so I think desmond has those guy to thank hes not back home in canada trying to pick up dudes with his cool backpack

TheSpectator
12-13-2010, 09:37 PM
AC3 won't work as a desmond only game. You can't bring the main aspects of the series gameplay into the present it won't work. Desmond isn't going to be running around the streets hiring ******s to seduce cops. It just can't work.
I am very keen to continue his storyline but AC is about going into the past to help save the future (also ******s were socially excepted in the past so it's a win-win).

Grandmaster_Z
12-14-2010, 07:38 AM
an AC game with just desmond would be a totally different type of game, which would suck.

Redfeather1975
12-14-2010, 07:43 AM
The facial scar is the main character of AC.
The last game will be all about the scar.

itsamea-mario
12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
think uncharted, with more free running, more interesting story, more intuitive combat and stealth, and possibly a bit less gunplay and more hidden blade.

NewBlade200
12-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Desmond basicaly exists so we can go back in time. He only has a story to give us a reason for it. Desmond is a bounus. I'm liking Des' story as of Brohood, so I wouldn't mind more. But the ancestors need more time than him.

ChaosxNetwork
12-14-2010, 10:40 AM
yes please do about the same amount as he was in AC:B would be nice.
And no Desmond is not the main character, you say ACI I say Altair you say ACII I say Ezio... So please don't even bother saying he is the main character.

itsamea-mario
12-14-2010, 10:43 AM
maybe AC3 then!

how about half a game. say the first half is spent as an ancestor finding the shroud maybe, the next is desmond saving the bloody world which is what all this has been leading up to.
if desmond is not the protagonist then why involve him at all, they gave no indication of the present aspect of the game, they would have included it if there wasn't a point to it.

ChaosxNetwork
12-14-2010, 10:56 AM
He is an important character do not get me wrong but what's the point in getting rid of the main thing that attracts people to the game, being the ancestor and being in places and times we may never be able to go in.

Assassin_Mitch
12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
LOL Desmond is the main character of the whole series. Without him there is no story and no use of Ezio or Altair, give us a Desmond game

Gyro458
12-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I like Desmond. I even use his skin while playing. All the time. He's better than Altair or Ezio, cause he's got the best from the two.

notafanboy
12-14-2010, 03:23 PM
if they make a game a game about desmond only , i will not buy it ... why do i love the AC series ?, because you can visit these awesome locations (venice jerusalem etc...) not because we like fish women and doing leaps of faith´s into dumpsters

Sabooza
12-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I use to hate being desmond in AC 1, and would spend my time walking around making desmond look like a spinning ****** whilst lucy blabbed on, but in AC 2 i started to enjoy it more, and even anticipated it, and in AC B i was happy about more desmond play, and happy they included the skin (which i use all the time) HOWEVER AC is all about the past being written into our genes, no past, no Assassin's Creed, just Desmond's Creed, which imo, I do not want, I want as much, (maybe more if AC 3 is a long game) play time as desmond got in AC B. Because without desmond, it feels more empty, example Altairs Chronicles.

Spartiates_Monk
12-14-2010, 03:41 PM

x1000

Desmond is not the protagonist. He's a foil. His story allows the bulk of the game to be self-consciously in a computer, which is a great 'trick' to explain away normal computer game issues, and ad a layer of realism to the entire thing.

The only reason he's been a progressively greater character in the games, is because the fans keep asking for it... like the over-arching plot-line involving him will actually reveal the truth of universe...

He's boring. If I want contemporary game-play, there's better options. Assassin's Creed is about exotic places in under-appreciated/explored settings.

If I have to deal with more Desmond in the next game than I did in this one, I'll be done with the series. This one was okay, but deff pushing the limits.

Spartiates_Monk
12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Sabooza:
I use to hate being desmond in AC 1, and would spend my time walking around making desmond look like a spinning ****** whilst lucy blabbed on, but in AC 2 i started to enjoy it more, and even anticipated it, and in AC B i was happy about more desmond play, and happy they included the skin (which i use all the time) HOWEVER AC is all about the past being written into our genes, no past, no Assassin's Creed, just Desmond's Creed, which imo, I do not want, I want as much, (maybe more if AC 3 is a long game) play time as desmond got in AC B. Because without desmond, it feels more empty, example Altairs Chronicles.

In AC1 YOU, the player, were basically Desmond. He was a blank-slate, vanilla character that could ask some questions, and learn along with the player.

As he's taken on a character of his own, he's become less and less appealing as a gameplay tool. Now he's Desmond. It lessens the level of immersion. It's not "I'm reliving these memories and playing as Altiar (or whomever)." It's I'm playing as Desmond, playing as Altiar... instead of being immersive, it now serves as another barrier between the player and the character of interest.

SWJS
12-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Desmond is not the protagonist.
Really now? I do believe that Patrice, and any other person on the developement staff, especially the writers, would say otherwise. And being somewhat of a writer myself, I agree with them, and enjoy Desmond's story because I can actually understand it, and enjoy the mysteries and conspiracies surrounding it. Desmond had more emotion than Altair did in AC1, so if Desmond is "bland," then I'm President Obama's twin sister.

I wouldn't have said anything, but really, I couldn't just sit here knowing that that statement is just as blatantly wrong as it is moronic.

Desmond and his framing story are the reason we even have the ability to explore the Crusades and the Renaissance. Just as well, if Abstergo weren't programming elite Templar warriors with the bleeding effect to chase after Desmond, we wouldn't have multiplayer.

So please, guys, no matter how much you hate him or think he's "boring," don't say stuff like "Desmond isn't the main protagonist." It's just... so wrong.

TheSpectator
12-15-2010, 03:25 AM
desmond is the main protagonist of the AC series where as each assassins creed would/should involve there own animus based descendant.

What i think is really going to happen is that right now ubi has two development teams one for the 2012 release AC3 (Based around dezzys search for the shroud so he can resurrect lucy and give her some lovin)and another for the 2011 release of a daniel cross based AC game which centre's around his search for the staff in the present/past which IMHO would be freakin awesome. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Saracenar
12-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the spoiler alert mate.

Anyway.

I'm only up to Memory Sequence 3 of AC:B, but...I really liked playing as Desmond (I have gone out in Monteriggoni once, plus the level exploring the hidden passages) and I could see how they could incorporate the mechanics of the game into a futuristic/modern setting. For instance, I can definitely see Vidic being an assassination target in a later game (and in case something important that involves Vidic in AC:B occurs, please don't spoil it for me).

I would buy an all Desmond game. Although I haven't finished AC:B yet, I could probably go for one more animus session though. But didn't Ubisoft announce another "big" AC game coming out next year? I'd guess that this wouldn't be AC3, which could be the Desmond game, but instead another game possibly involving a different ancestor.

As to whether he's the main protagonist...of course he is. You know Desmond is in complete control of Altair or Ezio when he's in the animus, right? It's called the puppet effect, like the Animus V1 tells you in the tutorial of AC1. You're Desmond the whole time.

JayNike
12-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by TheSpectator:
desmond is the main protagonist of the AC series where as each assassins creed would/should involve there own animus based descendant.

What i think is really going to happen is that right now ubi has two development teams one for the 2012 release AC3 (Based around dezzys search for the shroud so he can resurrect lucy and give her some lovin)and another for the 2011 release of a daniel cross based AC game which centre's around his search for the staff in the present/past which IMHO would be freakin awesome. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I agree, desmond is without any doubt the main character in the series. HE has to save the world and Altair and Ezio are actually just means to give him the info / artefacts he needs to do so. This doesn't mean I don't like the part where he goes back in the past. That's awesome and the reason why I bought the first game. But after learning more about the main story I really like the Desmond parts too (because I really want to know what's going on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif).

I also think that there will be 2 games: one in 2011 and one in 2012. But I think the 2011 game will be about the shroud so that Desmond can save Lucy (most likely french revolution). And finally in 2012 he saves the world (makes sense, because in AC 2012 is the year of the big disaster)

godofzer0
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
the desmond parts are some of my favourite parts.
and usually i look forward to the times when i play as him, also with desmond you get all his support characters, such as shaun.
Yea I'm totally with you all of the platforming with desmond to me seemed more thrilling and fun. Especially the end of brotherhood when you have to get the apple, is it me or is that one of the most fun parts of the game?

Grandmaster_Z
12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
platforming is for PoP.

SWJS
12-15-2010, 11:46 AM
platforming is for PoP.
You do realise AC was originally going to be a PoP game, and that the free-running in the game, especially the tombs, IS platforming, right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

itsamea-mario
12-15-2010, 02:05 PM
In the words of Ezio "you condem, what you do not understand"
you can't say for definate that a desmond game will be bad, you can still visist histical areas without going back in time.
those of you who say you don't like desmond and you never laft the animus in brotherhood, well thats just ignorance, maybe if you played as him more and spoke to the others, you may get to like him.
the parts where there is propper gameplay as desmind are some of my most favourite parts in the whole game.
Ubi can't exactly ignore desmond now they've written him this big quest to save the earth.
and i think if Ubi where to give us a full desmond game, it would show balls on their part, and a lot of fun on mine.
Anyone saying you won't buy it, well other people will, and eventually you probably will too.

maybe he will have half a game.
the first half in an animus, as some arbitery ancestor maybe trying to find the shroud.
then the next half ya know saving the world an all that jazz.
or maybe i majority desmond game, with pockets of animus sessions and bleeding effect moments, where you must complete various tasks as an ancester, in which desmond may learn something, like information or a new skill.

until we get a majority (or atleast half) desmond game we can't really judge, and honestly ubisoft can do whatever they wan't, somebody will buy the game, i know i will.*

and @Grandmaster_Z *facepalm*

*unless ofcourse its about desmond reliving his nazi ancestor as he must make it big in the concentration camp business, or something like that.

notafanboy
12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
i do like desmond, i do like desmond gameplay , i do like his cheesy comments but he doesn´t deserve his own game.
Tell me ,what does AC have that other games doesn´t have ?

itsamea-mario
12-15-2010, 02:42 PM
hidden blades?
cos AC isn't the first franchise to visit historical settings.

LadyGahan2010
12-15-2010, 02:48 PM
you can't say for definate that a desmond game will be bad, you can still visist histical areas without going back in time.

Riiight. I think you're one of those who actually like visiting museums? Well, I don't. I'm not one of those and do not tell me it is the same, because it isn't.

those of you who say you don't like desmond and you never laft the animus in brotherhood, well thats just ignorance, maybe if you played as him more and spoke to the others, you may get to like him.

Did you just call me ignorant? I beat all three games, and I did what I had to do, including (bleh) giving the forced lines to Rebecca, Lucy and Shaun. BTW, Lucy is such a stiff broom, what are you all seeing in her? Rebecca though is a very nice lively person. I have always suspected Lucy to be a double agent, right from the first moments of AC2.
Anyway. I did it all, I talked to them all, and no, outside animus sucks. There are many games of that kind, they aren't appealing to me at all.

Anyone saying you won't buy it, well other people will, and eventually you probably will too.

uhh, NO.

notafanboy
12-15-2010, 02:49 PM
hidden blades?
cos AC isn't the first franchise to visit historical settings.

nope but its one of the main AC thing/stuff/thingie -ahhh screw this thread

itsamea-mario
12-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by LadyGahan2010:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you can't say for definate that a desmond game will be bad, you can still visist histical areas without going back in time.

Riiight. I think you're one of those who actually like visiting museums? Well, I don't. I'm not one of those and do not tell me it is the same, because it isn't.

Did you just call me ignorant? I beat all three games, and I did what I had to do, including (bleh) giving the forced lines to Rebecca, Lucy and Shaun. BTW, Lucy is such a stiff broom, what are you all seeing in her? Rebecca though is a very nice lively person. I have always suspected Lucy to be a double agent, right from the first moments of AC2.
Anyway. I did it all, I talked to them all, and no, outside animus sucks. There are many games of that kind, they aren't appealing to me at all.

uhh, NO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I'm one of those people who can't predict the future just like everybody else.
2.Well it obviosly doesn't apply to you if you did leave does it?
3.i said probably, that means likely, not certain, you're entitled to your opinion, and other people will still buy it even if you don't, and ubisoft will still get their money.

LadyGahan2010
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
2.Well it obviosly doesn't apply to you if you did leave does it?

The way you stated this in your previous post calls everyone ignorant and you're the enlightened.

As you say, I can have an opinion, it is not any better than yours, yet ignorance has nothing to do with it.

Spartiates_Monk
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Desmond was at his best in AC1.

Too many people complained to the developers and they've progressively put more of him in. That removes the initial tension the player and Desmond had with the rest of the AC world: we were both plunged into it, and while you were technically playing as Desmond, you didn't have to be self-conscious about it, because he was just as lost as you were.

I'll say it again, that was a great immersion tool. But they're progressively losing it, be turning him into a real character, instead of "the player".

itsamea-mario
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Ignorance basically means without knowledge. and if you don't have knowledge of desmonds character which can be acheived by leaving the animus, then how can you say he's bad or not.
so yeah judging the charcter without actually playing as him is sort of ignorance. but since you did actually leave the animus to play the charcter, then you are not ignorant.
and i by no means stated that i was 'enlightened'.

Cubestation
12-15-2010, 03:49 PM
All of you saying that it sucks to be Desmond and that there shouldn't be a Desmond game need to shut it. Why? It shows clearly you don't care at all of the storyline of the AC series... You just care (unless you prove otherwise) about going to "historical places", then kill guards (probably) and "oh another historical place! i climbz knaowz!". If you like "historical places" then you can go to europe and visit them yourselves.

Now as far as AC3, I thinks it's going to be a lot more longer than the last 3 games put together... And maybe a gameplay between Uncharted 2 and AC:B... But we can only guess...

Spartiates_Monk
12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Cubestation:
All of you saying that it sucks to be Desmond and that there shouldn't be a Desmond game need to shut it. Why? It shows clearly you don't care at all of the storyline of the AC series... You just care (unless you prove otherwise) about going to "historical places", then kill guards (probably) and "oh another historical place! i climbz knaowz!". If you like "historical places" then you can go to europe and visit them yourselves.

Now as far as AC3, I thinks it's going to be a lot more longer than the last 3 games put together... And maybe a gameplay between Uncharted 2 and AC:B... But we can only guess...

Really? You're going to make a "The smart kids like Desmond, go play a hack-n-slash game if you don't" statement.

godofzer0
12-16-2010, 12:26 AM
In the words of Ezio "you condem, what you do not understand"
the parts where there is propper gameplay as desmind are some of my most favourite parts in the whole game.
Ubi can't exactly ignore desmond now they've written him this big quest to save the earth.
and i think if Ubi where to give us a full desmond game, it would show balls on their part, and a lot of fun on mine.

maybe he will have half a game.
the first half in an animus, as some arbitery ancestor maybe trying to find the shroud.
then the next half ya know saving the world an all that jazz.
or maybe i majority desmond game, with pockets of animus sessions and bleeding effect moments, where you must complete various tasks as an ancester, in which desmond may learn something, like information or a new skill.

until we get a majority (or atleast half) desmond game we can't really judge, and honestly ubisoft can do whatever they wan't, somebody will buy the game, i know i will.*

and @Grandmaster_Z *facepalm*

*unless ofcourse its about desmond reliving his nazi ancestor as he must make it big in the concentration camp business, or something like that.
I imagine a huge game with Desmond, like you said you can still visit historical sites without having to relive an ancestor's experience. I think Grandmaster's general consensus is that making Desmond the lead character will somehow transform what is an action/adventure/fantasy/mystery/platformer etc... game into a generic 3rd person shooter. Let's face it Ubi has dropped the ball on a few occasions but it seems with Assassin's Creed they have a clearer concept and want to see it through. They've spent three games basically training Desmond to be an assassin, to turn around and give him an AK in AC3 would just be UNBELIEVEABLY ******ED. I think the next game featuring Desmond if that's who we'll actually be playing, will be different, don't get me wrong but definitely not bad. In fact you never know it could be the game everyone has been waiting for.