PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Vista and Water

rocksteady2954
09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Just built a new system and went with Vista. My Video card is a e-GeForce 8600 GT.

I reinstalled 1946 but the water looks terrible, I tried to go into the config file and change the water to a different number 2, 3 or 4 but it wont let me save, I keep getting an error box telling me the adress is not correct.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

RickRuski
10-01-2007, 01:36 AM
It won't let you save because you have installed Il2 into " Program Files". This is a known problem with " Vista". ( I also have Vista ).(1) Uninstal from program files.
(2) Make a new Folder for "C" ( call this anything you like, mine is "My Games" ).
(3) Reinstal Il2 into this new folder.
Vista has a read only security lock on " Program Files " this makes changing Conf ini files difficult, and some are having troubles interacting with other programs such as "Mission Mate", "UQMB", and other such utilities we all enjoy. Since getting my il2 out of "Program Files" I have no problems and the game is running smoothly with good frame rates. All my games are now installed into this new folder.

VW-IceFire
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Actually...since IL-2 only installs a single registry entry you can just copy and paste the whole thing to somewhere else. I have a C:\Games directory that I install all of my games now...after Vista's "security feature" blocking changes to Program Files.

rocksteady2954
10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the help, I can now change and save the config files unfortunatly I still havent improved the water.

My new video card seems to be putting a pinkish and rainbow colored hue as a sunlight reflection on the water and other surfaces but it is too harsh and looks very wrong.

I have tried to change some config files to improve but with out any sucsess. Any tips?

My Video card is a Evga e-GeForce 8600 GTS and I am running Vista

RickRuski
10-02-2007, 02:18 AM
I am running a XFX 8600GT and have not noticed the problem you have. It might be driver related??. I tried the latest "Vista" drivers from nvidia but have gone back to 158.18 as these appear to be more stable with my system. My CPU is 6600 core 2 duo with 2gig ram.