PDA

View Full Version : SC: Conviction -- my two cents

elaine8405
05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I have all Splinter Cell games on PC, so I have experience with the franchise. My favorites are the first two; Chaos Theory was okay; didn't really like Double Agent much. My two cents on this latest installment:

- The DRM wasn't as bad as what I'd heard. One drop out at a bad time, but overall, tolerable.

- In terms of the game itself, I missed the stealth play of the other games. This one just had too many shootouts, many of which were really hard. I wanted more sneaking, hiding, & grabbing than blasting with guns or throwing mines/flashbangs.

- What's with giving Fisher sonar goggles and then having trigger points that launch a bunch of enemies that weren't there when you just pinged for them?? Aggravating.

- I'd love for Assassin's Creed moves to be incorporated. Sam would have so much more versatility and climbing ability. I found so many places where the ability to get to a ledge or roof would have come in really handy!

- The "mark & execute" function seemed to disappear if you shot someone (without marking) after a hand-to-hand kill. The option should remain available until you use it and not get cancelled by another action. Also, there should be a little symbol or something to indicate it's available.

I may think of other comments, but that's it for now. Please, no flaming. We all have our own opinions and expectations; this is just a summary of mine. Thanks.

Rams_
05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by elaine8405:

- The "mark & execute" function seemed to disappear if you shot someone (without marking) after a hand-to-hand kill. The option should remain available until you use it and not get cancelled by another action. Also, there should be a little symbol or something to indicate it's available.

huh??
no. The mark and execute DOES stay until u use it. Wen u do a hand to hand and then shoot 3 people its still there. And it does let u know wen u have it. On top of the HUD, where it shows u ur ammo, u see the [E]. When its the that means u have it.

elaine8405
05-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm happy to be proven wrong! I'll test it during the deniable ops missions. Thanks!

DonFrederik
05-18-2010, 04:13 AM
Agree with pretty much all your points, in the single player campaign in particular stealth felt really lacking.

The trigger points annoyed me hugely as well, especially during the White House mission.

I do however like that they've increased the pace a bit and made Sam more athletic.

For me Chaos Theory was the best Splinter Cell experience, Double Agent was horrible in my book, due to the combination of a terrible port from the console version and the whole trust balancing thing seemed a bit contrived.

The only time where Double Agent really managed to make me feel like I was in danger of blowing my cover was that one brilliant moment where you're hanging from the ceiling listening to the secret meeting and the JBA boss calls you on the radio to meet him at the car. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kristian_G
05-18-2010, 04:32 AM
- In terms of the game itself, I missed the stealth play of the other games. This one just had too many shootouts, many of which were really hard. I wanted more sneaking, hiding, & grabbing than blasting with guns or throwing mines/flashbangs.

- What's with giving Fisher sonar goggles and then having trigger points that launch a bunch of enemies that weren't there when you just pinged for them?? Aggravating.

I agree with these points.

The game is good and lots of fun, but its not what I would expect from a Splinter Cell game.
The previous game were all about stealth and choise. Multiple approaches, choosing to kill/knock out/sneak past guards. SSC is more linear and often denies you any chance to go in silently at all. Foring you into gunfights and well-lit areas with non-shootable lightsources.

And giving the player the ability to see through walls and then placing scripted enemy spawners within sightrange is something that really makes me mad.
*checks area with goggles*
"Nobody here it seems"
*runs forward*
*3-5 enemies suddenly spawns infron of me*
"OH SHI-"
*dies*
"FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-"

Always disliked 'event triggers' in games. Step on an invisible line and *BAM*, enemies everywhere.

ForceReconNeo
05-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by elaine8405:
I'm happy to be proven wrong! I'll test it during the deniable ops missions. Thanks!

launching AI attacks at spawn keeps you on your toes, it is similar to a "where do they come from" situation, it just happens, so they programmed spawns for AI.

Mark& Execute has a range limit, where if an enemy is too far away the red marks grey-out... you will always have the ability to M&E in-range targets afer hand-to-hand.