PDA

View Full Version : VR head mounted display for 350-400US... its here....

Zoom2136
02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
The iWearMonitor software is another component that monitors what games you are running and enables the head tracking driver as needed. The iWearMonitor currently only supports a handful of titles, although the ones supported are popular: World of Warcraft, Second Life, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 4, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Lock On and IL2 Sturmovik.

Yep you can get a VR920 (includes head tracking) for 400$ or a AV920 (without headtracking) for 350$....

Read on here http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/02/12/vuzix_review/

Because the head tracking capabalities of the VR920 are so so... I would go for a AV920 and still use my TrackIR4

I think I will give it a go... how can you go wrong at 350$.... my 24" monitor cost more than that....

JG52Uther
02-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Interesting! Let us know how you get on with it!

Aviar
02-12-2008, 10:38 AM
The reviewer said the views looked 'jittery' with the 2 flight sims he tried it on, so good luck.

Aviar

Zoom2136
02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
I saw that... that is why I'm looking into using a AV920 (and not the VR920) in combination with my TrackIR 4.

It says in the review that the motion tracking causes the "jitters"...

Also I'm not a big fan of 3D... but I will surely give it a go... and at 350$ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I'm waiting on the response from the company rep... on the possible use of my Track IR with it... if I can do it... I'll order it this afternoon...

Aaron_GT
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Hmmm.. the res of the 920 is (two) 640x480. I think I'd want to test first with a 62" screen at 9 feet first to see how good IL2 looks at that resolution!

stevo33
02-12-2008, 06:32 PM
I'd be interested in hearing if this is any good or not. if you do order it, please come back and let us know what happens

BrotherVoodoo
02-12-2008, 08:39 PM
If something like this came out with a higher resolution I would be all over it. But who knows,, maybe it looks aright. Keep us posted on this please if you make the purchase.

Lurch1962
02-13-2008, 06:30 PM
This unit has a 32 degree field of view, which most probably is measured across the diagonal. At any rate, it's about the same apparent screen size as is typical for desktop screen setups.

The reviewer mentioned that the resolution was surprisingly better looking than expected. This is most likely because a separate monitor is used by each eye, and the merged image in the brain will appear to be sharper.

======================

An idea which flitted across my neurons a while ago was this... Make a head mounted display using a pair of 1024x768 back-lit screens, mated to 80-degree apparent field of view telescope eyepiece optics. Used in conjunction with a suitably profiled TrackIR setup (to at least closely match head position with view direction), it would make a nifty virtual reality kit which would not cost as much as a Lamborghini. I'd guess the cost for a tinkerer might be in the range of $2,000?? (I'd have to cost the displays and their driver electronics. The pair of eyepieces can be had for about $160)

M_Gunz
02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
I have a friend who bought iGlasses back in the 90's and they were great. Picture a 50" TV
only 4 feet from your face no matter which way your head is turned. Watch TV while lying
face down on the couch, no neck crick from trying to keep the screen in view.
He ran his PC TV-out through it and was able to use winblows, you can look under the screen
and see your keyboard easily. It didn't mess with my eyes and the picture looks real big,
my 19" monitor at less than 2 feet view would fit inside easily.

For 'only' $999 they have 800x600 PC/SVGA version. It would need TIR or Freelook or Cam2Pan
but that's not a big stretch after forking out a Grand, is it?

How many more years before they have something that just plugs right into your brain via some
kind of Johnny Mnemonic jack? Cause then we'd get G-forces, you betcha!

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
...How many more years before they have something that just plugs right into your brain via some
kind of Johnny Mnemonic jack? Cause then we'd get G-forces, you betcha!

Matrix-style, I like it. Then we could all simply request the abilities of some of the greats to fly our little virtual aircraft around.

But then it would be more the plane and NOT the pilot because we would all be the same pilot wouldn't we? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Thunderbolt56/dizzy.gif

Zoom2136
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Ok only the VR920 works with PC's

Mine is on its way.... will report back A.S.A.P.

Aaron_GT
02-16-2008, 05:49 AM
I'll be interested to hear what they are like, for IL2 and also general use and DVDs, etc.

Irish_Rogues
02-22-2008, 12:32 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

K_Freddie
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
I have one and I can say that it has nice visuals, but the head tracking is not good. They've recently updated the firmware, so I'll give this a go.

The impression I got with this is that they had not thought out the perceivable problems properly.
The head tracking sensors are magnetic, sensing the earth's magnetic field.. and here is
Problem No1..
Earth Magnetic Field Summary (no date supplied)
http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/pb2/pb23/Mag/Img/Fig_1.jpg

If you stay in the orange and red areas (higher magnetic fields) it seems to work fine, but not good enough for flight sims. But I stay in Cape Town.. in the dark blue.. and it doesn't work here.

Problem No.2
It's a firmware problem, that, at the time of my testing/calibrating, they had not implemented.
There are standard 3D formulae for interactive sensors.. they looked as if they'd not been placed in the firmware.. hopefully the upgrade is better.

Problem No.3
I pulled my VR920 apart (I always do this). The magnetic sensors can be replaced by miniature gyro sensors or accelerometers. These sensors have a finer resolution that what is currently used, and are easier to implement, firmware and hardware.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

BrotherVoodoo
02-23-2008, 10:33 AM
[quote]I have one and I can say that it has nice visuals.quote]

So IL2 looks pretty good then? Can you read the guages OK? How big does the screen look to you as I have seen all sorts of ratios in reviews out there. Also what resolution are you playing at?
Sorry for all of the questions but I am really debating on getting one. I have TIR so I am not concerned with the crappy tracking. Thanks!

Lurch1962
02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Voodoo,
The stated apparent field of view is 32 degrees diagonally, which I consider to be small. A cheap binocular or telescope eyepiece typically has a field of 50 degrees or more.

Of course, at 640x480 a larger field would only show monstrously huge pixels. Thirty-two degrees is about the same apparent size most people would see their desktop monitor. More accurately, it's equivalent to viewing a 24" diagonal screen from a distance of 42".

BrotherVoodoo
02-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks Lurch. I think I'll hold off on these. I was just reminded of my 3d glasses that got used about 6 times. I'll wait for something closer to 100 degree FOV and 1080p thats affordable. Who knows maybe in a couple of years.

Aaron_GT
02-25-2008, 05:08 AM
I have one and I can say that it has nice visuals, but the head tracking is not good. They've recently updated the firmware, so I'll give this a go.

I presume you could just use TrackIR, though.

treacotton
09-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey guys I was wondering what your opinion was on the VR920 when it comes to realism. I wanted to combine it with the trackir to immerse myself into the game but I have heard that it is more like being in a dark room with a large TV in front of you. If this is the case I do not want it. I really want to know soon cause I was thinking of buying these goggles but I am so unsure. The effect I want from this is to forget that I am wearing the goggles and feel like I am IN the game.. I particularly like to play Flight Simulator X so I want to be able to look around the cockpit and out of the windows realisticaly. I think that it is awesome as it is with my 22 inch LCD monitor but still it doesnt have the REALISM there. If anyone can offer some help with this please email me at gaboredman@yahoo.com

Hoatee
09-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Biggest plus for the VR920 is that the native drivers (ie not nvidia's stereo drivers) support IL2 - aircraft at a distance are drawn correctly (with nvidia's drivers the a/c specks are split into two, so seeing bandits at a distance is always a bit of guesswork).

Minus point is that the native drivers for IL2 will only display 16bit colour - though switching on dithering in the game setup should alleviate this. Headtracking (which doesn't work very well anyway probably because of my geographical location) is a hassle if you want to be a gunner.

All in all, IL2 looks good with the VR920.

But I destroyed my VR920 in a fit of frustration - I don't exactly know what happened but my laptop monitor was no longer being seen as the primary display whenever I wasn't using the VR920. Plus the laptop has an nvidia 8600M (which is not supported by nvidia's stereo drivers).

Lomac also runs in stereo with the VR920. That's it for now...

Gibbage1
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I have a pair of VR920's. The tracking via the gyro's is not as smooth or percise as TIR, and the glasses are a little small for my head. If anyone wants to buy them from me (used twice) ill let them go for $250.