PDA

View Full Version : The YAK is awsome



AllorNothing117
07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
It is, why do so many people disagree with me?

It's

-Fast
-Has excelent Armourment
-Out manouvers anything and everything esp the 3
-It looks stunning
-Often underestimated
-Excelent visability esp rear

Sure it is made of wood, but thats why its solight, nible, agile and quick.

JG53Frankyboy
07-09-2009, 02:12 PM
its long time ago that i flew any version of the Yaks - but as example, try to intercept a formation of B-17s flying above 6000m ore try to escort them.

but no, the good times of massive formations flying in COOP based online wars might be over .........

JtD
07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
It's not good up high and in 1941 the 109F4 totally dominates it. The Yaks get better as the time goes on.

I'd prefer a Yak for flying, but a Focke Wulf for fighting.

ROXunreal
07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I always thought the Yak was like a LaGG, a slow, unmaneuverable, under armed piece of trash that falls apart from a single 20mm hit. Then I got owned by a few online which were impossibly fast, turned better than a spit and what not. Still, after some offline play in them, the earlier variants do indeed suck. They take a while to pick up speed, are really under armed (the whole point of a single machine gun is hilarious, of course there is the cannon but having just one machine gun is silly if not insignificant). Are the later models also made of wood? Because Some survided 1 or two 20mm hits from a 190 online without much impairment.

-It looks stunning

It looks horrible http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's one of those planes that ****es me off because I think it's the lowest junk available and then one day I get humiliated by it. Thought the same thing about J2M before based on its silly looks. And jsut the other day a LAGG! caught me in my P-38 what the hell?? Yes I was carrying rockets but still!

K_Freddie
07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Yaks are good, but fragile.. You have to be carefull who you come up against... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Old movie (41MB) (http://www.vanjast.com/IL2Movies/ALittleBitOfThis.avi) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

DuxCorvan
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
AWESOME
http://pchanez.club.fr/Himalaya/yak.jpg

DKoor
07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Look at those horns. Wow.

mortoma
07-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I flew a Yak-1B in a offline Stalingrad campaign mission the other day and I outran a 109G2 on the deck and fled home. He chased me but could not keep up. I lowered my prop pitch to 70 for few seconds to improve my acceleration then put it back on 100 and my mixture on 120. Made sure my supercharger was back down to stage one and off I went to speeds of about 550Kph, almost clipping trees and houses. Normally I would take on a G2 with a Yak but I had run out of ammo.

A nice plane but I generally dislike Yaks because of the ammo load being almost non-existent!! This makes them less versatile than other fighters because they are not so hot at bomber interception. They run out of ammo before you can shoot down more than two or three bombers and then you are left with little or no ammo to take on their escorts. I usually try to decide on defensive mission whether I'm going to take on the escorts or the bombers. Because both is kind of out of the question unless I limit myself to just one bomber. And even then I have to shoot carefully and try to light him on fire or smoke his engines with a few lucky bursts. Sometimes I figure if I can just scare him into dropping his bombs I've accomplished something. As an escort of friendly bombers the Yak is pretty good.

mortoma
07-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:
I always thought the Yak was like a LaGG, a slow, unmaneuverable, under armed piece of trash that falls apart from a single 20mm hit. Then I got owned by a few online which were impossibly fast, turned better than a spit and what not. Still, after some offline play in them, the earlier variants do indeed suck. They take a while to pick up speed, are really under armed (the whole point of a single machine gun is hilarious, of course there is the cannon but having just one machine gun is silly if not insignificant). Are the later models also made of wood? Because Some survided 1 or two 20mm hits from a 190 online without much impairment.

-It looks stunning

It looks horrible http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's one of those planes that ****es me off because I think it's the lowest junk available and then one day I get humiliated by it. Thought the same thing about J2M before based on its silly looks. And jsut the other day a LAGG! caught me in my P-38 what the hell?? Yes I was carrying rockets but still! There have been plenty of times I ran out of cannon ammo in a Yak but had a few MG bursts left with my little single MG. And with that I could easily damage a super fragile 109 by lighty or heavily smoking his engine or even setting him ablaze. Just take careful aim and don't spray and pray. Never underestimate what can be done with just one small calibre machine gun against our less armored enemies. Also some fragile bombers like Stukas can be brought down with those last few sprays from Yak machine guns!! Never say never. Use what you have and use it well or you're no virtual fighter pilot.

Woke_Up_Dead
07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
It's worth getting to know the differences between the different versions of Yaks, particularly the early ones. Some of the early ones are clearly outmatched by 109's, but some other ones that look almost identical actually have much improved performance and armament and can surprise. But they don't truly catch up to their German contemporaries until the arrival of the Yak 9 in late 1942.

mortoma
07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Il2 Compare shows that the Yak-1B and the 109G2 should be almost exactly the same down on the deck and the deck speed for the Yak-1B should be 530Kph. But I was able to get 550Kph out of her.
Hmmmmm.....Will have to try this again.

BillSwagger
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
The yak has its purpose and its place as a low level front line fighter.

I cant argue against its better qualities that you mentioned at the beginning of this post but there are other planes, in my opinion, that can bring a lot more variety to a battle than just having turn and burn capability.
I'm not sure what the load out is on a yak, and its limited fuel capacity keep it from competing as a true war machine.
I don't get the same enjoyment out of flying it as i do other planes, but it is one of the few planes that does well, right off the runway into a fight on deck.

Ba5tard5word
07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Yaks are definitely good from the 1B on but yeah their ammo load is bad. I guess the Russians didn't have enough guns to go around, or something, because no other air force has that weird one cannon and one machine gun setup. LaGG-3's have the same issue. Also the Eastern Front was mainly low-level air fighting so their planes were built for that, especially the La-5. Not sure if the Russian gun setup was meant for fighter battles only, I know the Germans didn't use a ton of large bombers but they did have a lot of Stukas.

VW-IceFire
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I've become a Yak enthusiast. The whole lineup and the development of the types are completely fascinating to me. Most people know very little about the Yak and when they do they tend to know very little.

The early Yaks were not really ready for WWII but they were the best indigenous fighters at low altitude available so they made due with them and worked on improvements. The first competitive Yak fighter is the Yak-7, 1942 model with the uprated engine. This model was superceded by the Yak-9 and the Yak-1B both of which were lightened by revising the structure and removing one of the machine guns.

As for armament...the two UBS machine guns and one 20mm cannon was considered ideal (the configuration begins in the Yak-7B but goes away and returns in the Yak-9U and Yak-3 models) but for weight savings one of the machine guns was deleted. The 20mm cannon was considered primary...the machine gun is backup. If you use the two independently then you have a fair bit of power...the UBS machine guns is the best in class and against Stukas and 109s its excellent.

The La-5F and later were better than the Yaks generally, however, the Yaks made up the bulk of the VVS and they were an excellent fighter. They also nearly completely outnumbered the opposition later in the war.

horseback
07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
The Yak does indeed carry a light weapon and ammo load, but the punch is reasonably good as long as you land it. The performance of the single 12.7mm MG is ridiculously good at times. I've de-winged more than a couple of 109s at a level 6 from over 500m with it, almost accidentally the first time.

The reason it had such a light load is not because of a lack of weapons or ammo, but because there was no place to put it. The M-105PF engine generated less than 1300 HP, and its plumbing took up a lot of space. Wooden wings crammed with fuel couldn't take another pair of guns too.

Cramming in the cannon and the 12.7mm HMG and their ammo without adding a bunch of draggy bulges and still having room for fuel and squeezing a respectable performance out of it was a respectable achievement.

It's a bit sloppy until you get it up to 330kph or so, and you have to keep an eye on your trim, but if you fly it exclusively for a week or so and then switch to a 190, you'll average 5-6 kills a sortie until your ammo management gets sloppy again...

cheers

horseback

Trefle
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Yak were specialized planes for low altitude escort or for engaging fighters only (at best they had a few rockets to make a single pass on troops ) , you'd rarely see Yaks engaging bombers nor operating above 4000-5000m in the first part of the war , they were just not designed and equipped for this .

For bomber interception , Russians used different machines , P-39 being the most effective at this task (37mm cannon .. ) and Lavochkins who could fly a bit faster than Yak above 5000m and were better armed

The Soviets used specialized planes , that's why they were so many sub versions of Yak fighters from 1943 . Before 1943 , they used various versions of Lagg-3 to engage bombers at low level , Migs with 20mm for higher altitudes , American lend lease like P-40's or Polikarpov fighters with twin 20mm as well .

By the end of the war (when German bombers were much rarer in the skies btw ) , Soviets had plenty of Yak variants with 37mm in the nose (Yak9T , Yak9M we have ingame ) to perform bomber interception (German bombers like Ju-88 or He-111 were not flying very high like American 4 engines fortresses , these Yaks could easily go for them ) and adequatly armed fighters like La-5FN or Airacobras

VW-IceFire
07-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Trefle:
Yak were specialized planes for low altitude escort or for engaging fighters only (at best they had a few rockets to make a single pass on troops ) , you'd rarely see Yaks engaging bombers nor operating above 4000-5000m in the first part of the war , they were just not designed and equipped for this .

For bomber interception , Russians used different machines , P-39 being the most effective at this task (37mm cannon .. ) and Lavochkins who could fly a bit faster than Yak above 5000m and were better armed

The Soviets used specialized planes , that's why they were so many sub versions of Yak fighters from 1943 . Before 1943 , they used various versions of Lagg-3 to engage bombers at low level , Migs with 20mm for higher altitudes , American lend lease like P-40's or Polikarpov fighters with twin 20mm as well .

By the end of the war (when German bombers were much rarer in the skies btw ) , Soviets had plenty of Yak variants with 37mm in the nose (Yak9T , Yak9M we have ingame ) to perform bomber interception (German bombers like Ju-88 or He-111 were not flying very high like American 4 engines fortresses , these Yaks could easily go for them ) and adequatly armed fighters like La-5FN or Airacobras
Are you sure about this? The Soviets didn't have the luxury of assigning fighters in a specific way from my readings. Yaks engaged formations of Stukas, Heinkels, Junkers, and the escorting 109s and later the 190s. For instance the Stalingrad front was mostly a Yak-7 and LaGG-3 Series 25 show...if a patrol found bombers and they had a chance to attack it sounds like they did. There wasn't a designated fighter to attack.

The 37mm armed variants of the Yaks were armed thusly because of the idea that a better armed Yak would produce statistically better results than the 20mm variant. It would take more shots from the 37mm to hit the target but only one hit was necessary in many cases. It wasn't really about bomber interception or about busting tanks either (another common misnomer).

Also the Migs armed with 20mm were a VERY rare variant.

So really the Yak had to engage bombers, escort Il-2s, intercept 109s, and so on...during all parts of the war.

I haven't read anything to the contrary or anything that would support the VVS using specialize aircraft for the job. The only exception I can think of would be the PVO squadrons which were typically equipped with MiG-3s, Spitfires, and Thunderbolts due to high altitude performance.

Trefle
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Depends where on the front , in the southern front for instance , Yaks were mainly used for escort and air superiority vs fighters , i had read this in a veteran interview in the lend lease website , it is also stated in black cross red stars , that in 1942 , Lagg-3's were often sent against the bombers whilst Yaks were more used for escort and fighter vs fighters aerial superiority because they were better suited for this . What i meant by "specialized" is that Yaks are all about acceleration and low speed handling which is ideal for escorting Il-2's and other VVS bombers at low altitude , but it was not adequatly armed to take on large bombers and the VVS had other fighters types like the P-40 they used in Murmansk primarily to engage bombers , or the P-39 and Lavochkins that were better armed to engage bombers and did it often in southern front . Besides , i agree with you on Mig with 20mm being rare and that Yaks had to engage bombers

Obviously , 3/4 of VVS fighter force was made of Yakovlev fighters during WWII , so i'm not surprised you can find many examples (especially in the second part of the war when VVS had sizeable numerical superiority and were on the offensive ) where Yaks engaged bombers when they saw them (Soviet pilots would engage ennemy bombers with anything IMO, that doesn't mean the Yak was designed to engage bombers ) , especially in the central front where Yak were very numerous or when they had to defend their cities (Moscow , Stalingrad etc) at all costs with everything that can fly available , but i know for sure fact that Yaks were primarily used against ennemy fighters and for bomber escorts by the Soviets during WWII and intended as such . In Normandie Niemen memoirs , they state that the heavily armed Yak with 37mm were better used as bomber destroyers than pure fighters because gunnery was difficult and generated a lot of vibrations . If you see the number of sub-variants of the Yak the VVS used , it's because they wanted to make it more versatile , in order to diversify the type of missions it could achieve as it was cheap and easy to build

R_Target
07-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by DKoor:
Look at those horns. Wow.

Fur is overmodeled. Typical Oleg BS.

mortoma
07-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Yaks are definitely good from the 1B on but yeah their ammo load is bad. I guess the Russians didn't have enough guns to go around, or something, because no other air force has that weird one cannon and one machine gun setup. LaGG-3's have the same issue. Also the Eastern Front was mainly low-level air fighting so their planes were built for that, especially the La-5. Not sure if the Russian gun setup was meant for fighter battles only, I know the Germans didn't use a ton of large bombers but they did have a lot of Stukas. I dunno, LaGG's and LA's seem to have about double the ammo. The LaGG model 29 or 35 ( don't remember which ) has the option for the 23mm cannon and it's an exception and doesn't have a lot of ammo. The 20mm version has plenty of ammo. The LaGG-3-S4 has tons of ammo and twin cannons and Mg's. And it's toughness makes it great as a bomber intercepter, unlike Yak's. LA's seem to have more than enough ammo.

mortoma
07-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Some people saying they used different planes for bomber interception. That may be true but I was talking about playing this game, not real life. And I'm right, in the game an early Yak up to about '43 is terrible for anything but Stukas and fighters.

And if you play offline, the Dgen mission generator will give you plenty of bomber intercepting to do, regardless of the plane you fly and so will DCG. And I was not talking about the late Yaks that has the big cannons like the K and T models. They are the opposite, they are superb bomber interceptors! Three cannon Yak-3 ain't bad either.