PDA

View Full Version : very OT, gimme a break: Shellshock Nam '67

Chuck_Older
10-16-2004, 09:57 AM
A friend I haven't seen in a while gave me a late birthday present, the game Shellshock: Nam '67

Well, ok, let's see what it's like. Uhhh....it wants new Nvidia drivers for my Realtek AC'97...but...is there an Nvidia driver for this Realtek device? I haven't the foggiest.

I checked on Realtek's website and downloaded their newest Realtek AC'97 audio drivers, from sept. '04, still the sound in Shellshock won't work in-game and I get the message that I need new Nvidia drivers

I went to the Shellshock website, and they want me to load a plug in that won't load after 45 minutes of waiting. Without the plug in, I can't browse their website, so I'm kinda stuck here.

Anybody have any suggestions? The game could even be good, who knows.

Chuck_Older
10-16-2004, 09:57 AM
A friend I haven't seen in a while gave me a late birthday present, the game Shellshock: Nam '67

Well, ok, let's see what it's like. Uhhh....it wants new Nvidia drivers for my Realtek AC'97...but...is there an Nvidia driver for this Realtek device? I haven't the foggiest.

I checked on Realtek's website and downloaded their newest Realtek AC'97 audio drivers, from sept. '04, still the sound in Shellshock won't work in-game and I get the message that I need new Nvidia drivers

I went to the Shellshock website, and they want me to load a plug in that won't load after 45 minutes of waiting. Without the plug in, I can't browse their website, so I'm kinda stuck here.

Anybody have any suggestions? The game could even be good, who knows.

Yellonet
10-16-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm guessin you've got a motherboard with a nVidia chipset + onbard soundcard... maybe you should check the motherboard manufacturers homepage?

Chuck_Older
10-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Hmmm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif You're right.

I thought of that, but I didn't build the PC and I know there's a code on the MB, but I'm not taking it out to find it.

Now if Nvidia has drivers for a realtek device, I'm all for it. I can always roll back the driver

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-16-2004, 10:28 AM
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

check that out Chuck it might help

Chuck_Older
10-16-2004, 10:32 AM
thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ZG77_Lignite
10-16-2004, 11:07 AM
If you get it running, give us a review Chuck. I think the only thing this game has going for it is its name.

Heavy_Weather
10-16-2004, 11:10 AM
this is the flakiest game i've ever bought, second to hitman3. it seems like anything made from Eidos is lame now days. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

put it this way, i took it back to walmart and they said they couldnt take back open games so i just told them to keep it. the woman was like "sir we cant keep this you've paid for it" my reply "then throw it away or use it as a coaster" thats the last time Eidos takes 50 dollars from me.

Chuck_Older
10-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Well, first off-

if you don't have a DVD drive in your PC, apparently you must contact Eidos and they will send you CDs http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I have a DVD drive.

Secondly, the sound...aggravating. Some shell sounds work, but in-game, the sounds do not function yet, I need a pretty big download to update my drivers.

It's a 3rd person game, with a "beading" feature that puts your POV behind your character's right shoulder...um, very dumb viewpoint in my opinion. If it's a shooter, in my opinion, it better have at LEAST the option of first person viewpoint, or a lot of the feel of the game is lost, and I feel like I'm playing the old arcade game "Frontline" (A classic, if any of you young whippersnappers don't know it. Go and find on and feed it some quarters, it's fun). Frontline was OK for it;s time, but I don't want that in a sophisticated PC game. If I wanted Frontline, I could go download it for free, I'm sure!

The manual, as usual, is breif. Not a lot of help other than URLS. No surprise and I know printing these things is expensive but jeez, make an effort!

The sound issue alone puts a big question mark in my mind. No other game I have played since Win95 has needed anything other than as shipped audio drivers for the sound to at least work marginally. In Shellshock, there should be an option to turn off whatever audio feature the game needs, as shell sounds work with my drivers.

I run Theif III: Deadly Shadows no problem with my PC, but Shellshock has it's panties in a bunch over my sound drivers. This is the first time, EVER, in over 10 years of messing about with Windows PC games, that a game title has not provided sound. I use EAX just fine on any other game title. The only thing that ever game close to not working was Ghost Recon, on my last PC, and that made an annoying click every 5-15 seconds in game, but the sound worked. New drivers fixed the click, but the sound would play.

The graphics seem OK, but I have "played" three times for a grand total of about 30 seconds, so I cannot say the graphics are good or bad, or what the effects are like.

This game could be hype, I can't tell just yet.

However, from the game box, some things are a little dramatised on the soldier's helmet, like the stars in the camo cover, and the little skull'n'crossbones pin on the helmet. A tad over the top. I like some realism, not the Pop Culture idea of things.

I would urge caution on this one. A better game all around in my opinion could easily be Viet Cong, which I have and enjoy still. And it worked every time with the game discs that came with the game, I didn't have to send away for game discs.

I give Shellshock: Nam '67 a 50/50 chance of being good. That's the most benefit of the doubt I can give it.

Chuck_Older
10-16-2004, 11:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heavy_Weather:
this is the flakiest game i've ever bought, second to hitman3. it seems like anything made from Eidos is lame now days. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theif III is pretty good. The AI is actually acceptable and the animations are really slick in my opinion. It's fun to watch an AI guard or even a zombie throw a temper tantrum, jumping up and down in a rage. Some problems exist in-game however, like gaurds in chairs are oblivious to you until you try to silently kill/knock them out, then they jump up and see you.

But still fun. Eidos games seem to go in cycles, a few years back, I swore off Eidos forever, and then a few good titles came from them.

TheJoyStick
10-16-2004, 12:39 PM
I've played Shellshock. It's absolutely horrible.

Your teamates don't die, the guns are faker than Tammy Fey Baker, and you can't climb out of trenches, or jump, or anything. You have to move with the set path, and you get stuck on just about every jagged corner. The gameplay is slow, and the game loses interest (with me) in the first 2 minutes.

Although the first cutscene is pretty cool, and I recommend you get that far.