PDA

View Full Version : Vector, Victor?

Spad_13
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Ok, so I ask Ground Control to direct me to the target. It says "Vector 370"). Does that mean set my heading to 370? Sometimes when I then look at the map, it doesn't look like that's the right way to reach the target.

Thx!

Spad_13
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Ok, so I ask Ground Control to direct me to the target. It says "Vector 370"). Does that mean set my heading to 370? Sometimes when I then look at the map, it doesn't look like that's the right way to reach the target.

Thx!

Freiwillige
12-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes it means change heading to 370. No its not always correct!

Crikey2008
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I believe the heading given by Control is to the next waypoint. If so then use of map can provide a shortcut.

WTE_Galway
12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Who told you about Vector 370 ? there is no 370. Please step away from the car!!

More seriously ... vectors will always be 360 or less.

The ground control vector to home is the most straightforward, its the heading in degrees you need to fly to get to your home base.

The vector to target I believe does take you to the next waypoint. Though I am not sure of that. Remember the "next" waypoint may actually be what you think of as the previous waypoint if you have not yet flown directly over it.

The other vectors you randomly hear are more complicated they are the current heading of the flight leader of a flight somewhere on the map. It may be your own flight leader in which case it probably matches the heading between two way points on the map. Or it may be another flight entirely no where near you at all (as the voices all sound the same its hard to tell). Just to confuse matters there is also a bug where the AI sometimes gives vectors that are out by 180 degrees.

Simple rule:

Ground Control Vector to home is the heading you need to take to get back to your airfield.

Vector to target is (I believe but am happy to be corrected) the next waypoint the computer thinks you need to cross.

Other Vectors are the heading of the AI aircraft making the announcement. They are NOT vectors to follow.

Zeus-cat
12-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Vectors are always given to the nearest 30 degrees. 0, 30, 60, ...330.

You should ask for vectors multiple times as you can fly right by the target and not know it.

rnzoli
12-16-2008, 02:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Vector to target is (I believe but am happy to be corrected) the next waypoint the computer thinks you need to cross. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>On thing is sure: it's not the vector to the actual target (e.g., a bomber formation). It is more likely the next waypoint (or the last one that you missed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) , but I have seen cases when this command was jumping through all waypoints giving a totally different vector everytime repeated.

Crikey2008
12-16-2008, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Who told you about Vector 370 ? there is no 370. Please step away from the car!!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

LOL missed that one!

...although 10 degrees NNE (Pacific) might work also

Divine-Wind
12-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Who told you about Vector 370 ? there is no 370. Please step away from the car!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Missed key, perhaps? If not, then no wonder you can't find your target. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif