PDA

View Full Version : Yaw settings

J_Weaver
06-30-2009, 08:23 AM
So what are you guys running?

I'm still trying to find a setting that I'm happy with. Seems like I have too little input and then too much. I can't seem to hit the "sweet spot". It makes taking off multi-engine aircraft really tough.

BTW, I'm using a Saitek X45.

DKoor
06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I fly everything with it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif .

Once you get used to it, it is nice... but I'm too lazy to do aircraft specific joystiq profiles, which would IMO be the perfect choice.

BillSwagger
06-30-2009, 08:52 AM
This might sound complicated but its not.

My mouse wheel is set to rudder:

Instead of directly mapping the wheel, the wheel is mapped to key strokes. Then those key strokes are mapped to "rudder left" and "rudder right".
It is very good for multi engine plane take off.
(also the mouse wheel button is mapped to "center rudder". I can effectively rudder against the torque then center the rudder instantly when the tail comes up.)

I have a second rudder:

This is a lever on my Joystick mapped direct to the Rudder HOTAS in the game.
The sensitivity is turned down to allow for more precise shots.
I have a linear curve set from 20 to 80, then i raise the last column to 100 to ensure a full range of motion.

Thats what works for me.
Im using a Logitech Attack 3 and a 5 button mouse, but im sure this advice might be useful to you in some way.

R_Target
06-30-2009, 11:06 AM
2,9,17,28,39,53,66,79,80,100; no filter, no deadzone. I also have sensitivity set to 95 in CH Control Manager, and have increased the gain response.

JG52Karaya-X
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100

All other axis on 100s only (using an X-52)

On default values I found the aircraft incredibly sluggish and unresponsive, these values give a very direct and spontaneous feel.

TS_Sancho
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
After a hundred different stick settings over a couple flight control systems I have reverted my yaw settings to the stock increments of 10-20-30 etc.

After time I had no problem keeping fine control even on 100's across the board so no matter what settings your using if your over controlling the easiest fix is to lighten up on the controls at your end.

Some folks use a utility called IL2 sticks which helps set ultra fine inputs but I doubt the is your problem. If your ground looping heavies its simply a matter of getting used to using smaller inputs along with braking.

Remember once all that mass gets swinging it doesnt stop for a bit.

K_Freddie
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Long time ago since I had an X45, but I remember setting that slider/mouse pot on the throttle, accessible via the Index finger as the rudder control.
Worked very well, but not as accurate as pedals http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

idonno
06-30-2009, 04:02 PM
All sliders 100% for all controls.

RickRuski
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
These are the settings that I use, they were posted on one of the forums some time back. They apply to "Pitch, Yaw and Roll". I have found them very stable.

20 26 31 38 42 48 57 65 72 82

Cheers

RickRuski

WTE_Galway
06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Generally the longer the stick and the finer your touch on the controls, the more you tend towards 100 straight down the line.

Basically, all 100 gives more linear control. In other words the stick responds in a similiar fashion regardless of whether you are shooting while straight and level or with the stick yanked right over and back.

However many people find "all 100" gives insufficient precision for fine adjustments especially when learning or using a short stick (like most combat flightsim sticks). As generally you shoot with the stick relatively centered the standard game sets up a profile that "softens" the response towards the center.

Note that using straight 100's does not make you some sort of cool elite flyer, it just happens to suit you and your stick profile ... it generally means you have a longer stick and probably a finer touch on the controls.

sooooo ... what does all this mean ? Simply that there is no single "perfect" profile as it varies depending on the both user and the stick in question. Try a few different profiles and see what suits you.

J_Weaver
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I've got pitch and roll worked out fine. Its yaw that's a bit tricky.

Another question if you don't mind? Is there a way to be able to use two controllers at the same time? I've got an old InterAct V3 wheel that has some decent pedals. They aren't linked together like real rudder pedals of course, but I figure it might be an improvement over using the rocker stiwch on the X45 throttle.

BillSwagger
07-03-2009, 12:14 PM
if you want to use them as separate inputs

( X axis on Joystick 1 = A, and X axis on Joystick 2 does = B)

Google PPJoy and download that.
Its a bit tricky to figure out but i think there are instructions to do what you need.