PDA

View Full Version : Need help - a question

reumatiib
04-09-2005, 02:04 AM
You know my disdain for DD and DE. On my second mission I thought I'd test my D/C theories and push on through the English Channel for the fun of it, so as to reach my patrol post in the Atlantic. To make a long story short I was jumped at night by 5 DD and 2 DE or trawlers, or what ever they were (little bastar*s) and two patrol boats. After hiding under the bow of a half sunken DD I torpedoed for what must have been two hours resting on the bottom in 50 meters water, It dawned on me that these guys weren't going to EVER LEAVE.

I see now that the reason they always left me in the past (in single games) was because once their convoys moved beyond their range point they left to rejoin it (since they were assigned to it). But these Channel guys weren't going to ever do that - their only assignment was me.

Ok so I wasted all but 3 internal eels and sunk all but on Trawler or DE , and it left me for some reason I can't tell why. So now I have 3 torpedoes left, only 74% fuel, and about 70% more of the channel to pass through before I reach the Atlantic. I know I don't have enough fuel left to go north around Scapa - so here's the question: WHAT HAPPENS if I return from a career mission having never reached my assigned grid? DO they like whip or what? Or should I push on through the channel?

reumatiib
04-09-2005, 02:04 AM
You know my disdain for DD and DE. On my second mission I thought I'd test my D/C theories and push on through the English Channel for the fun of it, so as to reach my patrol post in the Atlantic. To make a long story short I was jumped at night by 5 DD and 2 DE or trawlers, or what ever they were (little bastar*s) and two patrol boats. After hiding under the bow of a half sunken DD I torpedoed for what must have been two hours resting on the bottom in 50 meters water, It dawned on me that these guys weren't going to EVER LEAVE.

I see now that the reason they always left me in the past (in single games) was because once their convoys moved beyond their range point they left to rejoin it (since they were assigned to it). But these Channel guys weren't going to ever do that - their only assignment was me.

Ok so I wasted all but 3 internal eels and sunk all but on Trawler or DE , and it left me for some reason I can't tell why. So now I have 3 torpedoes left, only 74% fuel, and about 70% more of the channel to pass through before I reach the Atlantic. I know I don't have enough fuel left to go north around Scapa - so here's the question: WHAT HAPPENS if I return from a career mission having never reached my assigned grid? DO they like whip or what? Or should I push on through the channel?

KaosxMeach
04-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Find something to torpedo with your last eels then radio home a patrol report.

They should tell you to return to base without any loss of face. You done your duty enough in engaging the enemy.

NaturalBornGoth
04-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Two things:

1. the opposition is a lot weaker once you are inside the channel. They only heavily guard the entrances to the Channel. The rest of it is more or less covered by a few weak torpedo boats. You don't need to worry about those.

2. 75% fuel is more than enough to get back home, even if you have to go around the British Isles. All you have to do is bringing the sub home on low propulsion (One Third or less ahead). It increases the range of the boat dramatically. Hey, you could still get to New York with 75% fuel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

reumatiib
04-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanx - I think I'll push on then. If my U-boat dies it dies and I'll just start over rather than reload saves.