PDA

View Full Version : The PC version and DLC

Maermaethor
12-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I was very disappointed to find out that the PC version for AC2 was coming out so late, and now we have received info that there will be DLC for the PS3 and Xbox before the PC version will be out. Will Ubisoft be so nice and have the DLC already in the game? Or will we be able to get it some other way? I am already disappointed that the PC version is taking so long to come out, and I will be even more disappointed if I will not even get the DLC.

warsow7
12-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Well, the PC version of the first Assassin's Creed came out a few months after the console version. However, it had added mission types. My hopes are that if the AC2 console DLC comes out in January and February, then it will be included in the retail PC version come March 16. Unless it's Steam exclusive, it will difficult for Ubisoft to regulate the sale of DLC on the PC platform, so it would be nice if it shipped with the PC version.

Atkamon
12-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Well, the coolest would be, if they would release the PC version with the second DLC in february:P

warsow7
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Gamestop's website has the ship date on Marsh 16. That may or may not be accurate, and it is probably for North America. The other versions will probably be released on or around the same day.

icrash
12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by warsow7:
Unless it's Steam exclusive, it will difficult for Ubisoft to regulate the sale of DLC on the PC platform, so it would be nice if it shipped with the PC version.

It doesn't have to be a Steam exclusive. The DLC for Fallout 3 is available on disc. The same could be done for AC2. Granted it would be nice to have it included in the game already.

warsow7
12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
True, icrash, the disc is a good alternative to digital distribution. I don't know much about the Fallout 3 DLC, but I know that Bethesda had major security problems with their Oblivion DLC. I seem to remember reading Ubisoft having the same piracy issues with their Far Cry 2 DLC. The content really needs to be linked to an account of some sort, most likely a player's Ubisoft account, to ensure that user's who have the content obtained it legally.

Atkamon
12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Gamestop's website has the ship date on Marsh 16. That may or may not be accurate, and it is probably for North America. The other versions will probably be released on or around the same day.

Those dates dont really mean anything, since there is no official release date announced yet. All we know for sure is Q1 2010

caswallawn_2k7
12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
True, icrash, the disc is a good alternative to digital distribution. I don't know much about the Fallout 3 DLC, but I know that Bethesda had major security problems with their Oblivion DLC. I seem to remember reading Ubisoft having the same piracy issues with their Far Cry 2 DLC. The content really needs to be linked to an account of some sort, most likely a player's Ubisoft account, to ensure that user's who have the content obtained it legally.
oblivion DLC was pretty much the first attempt at paid DLC on a PC, this is part of the reason it failed so badly, the other reason it failed was because the DLC only installed into the game the same as any user made mod meaning it had no protection at all.

icrash
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Warsow, I didn't even know there were any security problems with Oblivion's DLC. I bought the version that came with the Knights of Nine & Shivering Isles. I bought both of the DLC discs for Fallout 3, but can't remember if there was an activation on them or not. It's been quite a while since those two games have been installed.

Jobbigt45
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
oblivion DLC was pretty much the first attempt at paid DLC on a PC, this is part of the reason it failed so badly, the other reason it failed was because the DLC only installed into the game the same as any user made mod meaning it had no protection at all.

Failed badly? Not according to their blog...

http://bethblog.com/index.php/...livion-dlc-lifetime/ (http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/01/30/top-oblivion-dlc-lifetime/)

caswallawn_2k7
12-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Jobbigt45:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:

Failed badly? Not according to their blog...

http://bethblog.com/index.php/...livion-dlc-lifetime/ (http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/01/30/top-oblivion-dlc-lifetime/) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
that is for the 360 did you miss the part were I said PC, since we are talking about PC games here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif live has built in security and oblivion on 360 has no user modding ability meaning the results on the 360 is totally irrelevant to the PC.

Jobbigt45
12-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
that is for the 360 did you miss the part were I said PC, since we are talking about PC games here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif live has built in security and oblivion on 360 has no user modding ability meaning the results on the 360 is totally irrelevant to the PC.
Oops, must have missed that. Sorry

Maermaethor
12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I was looking at different websites, and found that Amazon.co.uk had the earliest release date which was on February 26th, so I think it would be a perfect time for them to put the DLC in it and release it with the game. I would gladly pay extra for that!

Though Ubisoft hasn't announced the official release date so we might not be able to trust amazon or any other site...

Dachande_
12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I cant wait for the PC version of this game to be released.It will improve the online community tenfold.As for DLC,couldnt care less myself,i just hope they release this game in a stable,relatively well tuned state for PC gamers.

firewaterearth2
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Maermaethor:
I was looking at different websites, and found that Amazon.co.uk had the earliest release date which was on February 26th, so I think it would be a perfect time for them to put the DLC in it and release it with the game. I would gladly pay extra for that!

Pay extra? Dear god, no! We are already paying by waiting longer.