PDA

View Full Version : Need help taking off from a carrier

SNAKE1937
04-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Have tried to take off in a F4 , F6 and corsair with any combo of settings and " SPLASH" 1 out of 6 tries. Very frustrating!!!! Went to complex engine mgt. and used 100% prop. pitch and 100 auto rich mixture -- take off flaps -- run up the engine to 110% and STILL no lift off. One of 6 we stagger up after a drop almost to the water. Hardly impressive. Some of you who find take off from a carrier EASY, PLEASE tell me how to do it. THANKS SNAKE1937

SNAKE1937
04-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Have tried to take off in a F4 , F6 and corsair with any combo of settings and " SPLASH" 1 out of 6 tries. Very frustrating!!!! Went to complex engine mgt. and used 100% prop. pitch and 100 auto rich mixture -- take off flaps -- run up the engine to 110% and STILL no lift off. One of 6 we stagger up after a drop almost to the water. Hardly impressive. Some of you who find take off from a carrier EASY, PLEASE tell me how to do it. THANKS SNAKE1937

Tully__
04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
What ordnance load and fuel load? Max fuel and bomb load in nearly all the carrier aircraft will make take off impossible or difficult even with the carrier steaming at flank speed. In DF servers (carriers not moving) about half max load is all you'll be able to manage.

shinden1974
04-16-2005, 10:44 PM
I run the engine all the way up before I remove the chocks, release my brakes and unlock the tailwheel and keep the stick all the way back for take off, ease forward as I gain speed, hope that might help...

HotelBushranger
04-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Put Mixture to 120%, flaps on take off, throttle on fool. Never have max ordnance, usually only carry a coupla of bombs or rockets. Tiny Tims on a Corsair is suicide.

When you release the chocks, push the stick forward till its even with the horizon, and try to keep straight. However, dont make too many adjustments with the rudder or it will cause more drag and therefore less takeoff speed.

Hope it helps

Siwarrior
04-16-2005, 11:51 PM
A really easy take-off in a Hellcat(on carrier) is to rev the engine to the max, realese chocks and slam on the brakes, then raise the tailwheel and realse the brakes, just as you get to the end of the carrier slam down the tail and you have lift off.