PDA

View Full Version : Q about AI in Il-2...

Ba5tard5word
06-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I've had 1946 for a couple months and have been playing a lot of FMB missions I've made, usually with AI difficulty set at Veteran......and is it just me or is the AI for the different nations quite a bit different in terms of skill?

Mainly it seems like Axis pilots are quite a bit craftier and dangerous than Allied pilots--it just seems like Allied pilots are a lot lazier and easier to tail or evade. German pilots on Veteran seem to be the deadliest, while Japanese pilots are a little easier to suss out. American pilots just seem lazy as hell on Veteran. Meanwhile the Russians seem about as good as Germans.

Or is it just the planes are so different that the Axis has a leg up? It doesn't seem like this should be the case since most contemporaneous planes (at least from around 1942 or so) from the different nations were pretty good matches for one another, and when I fly them I don't see any massive advantages or disadvantages for, say, a 109 versus a Mustang. They're different planes but you'd think the pilots for each would be attuned to the differences.

Just wanted to see what the consensus is by people who have played the game a lot more than me.

DKoor
06-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I have played vs AI a lot... from what I'm able to tell, one of the deadliest if not the deadliest are Zeros (early ones) and Spitfire25.
These are just insane on ace level in terms of holding their energy during turns, climbing etc.
But all AI are pretty much turkey shots and are only deadly if they are few of them vs you...

Otherwise if you are 1 vs 1 with AI and you are unsure of AI skill, don't go head on vs him, if he's a veteran or ace you'll likely lose... generally I avoid head ons vs AI unless he's a rookie or average in which case they usually wont shoot at you in h2h fight.

About difference between axis and allied AI I believe there is none other than basic difference in aircraft, I already said my opinion about best AI fighters.
Related to it, I firmly believe that it would make absolutely no impact on AI skill if you change insignia on aircraft (I saw some of such ideas on forum, but I believe that is bogus).

And yes... ace P-51's will give you a good run for your money too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif, nice AI BnZers.

SeaFireLIV
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
No, Ba5tard5word, I haven`t noticed this.

Perhaps you`re simply noticing different tactics in different planes and it`s perhaps easier to take on aircraft with tactics you know. for instance I always find easier to shoot down Axis B239s in a P40 than a 109 in the same plane. 109s always tend to run, where planes like the B239 always tend to turn cos they can`t run. Easy pickings.

But it also depends on skill, I think. the other day in Campaign, I took down 2 Axis B239s easily, but when I came across 2 109s it was much harder because they split up, extended and kept coming back.

Metatron_123
06-05-2008, 06:00 AM
I've been playing Luftwaffe Pilot: Kondor lately, and those Polikarpov I-16 can really be a match for your Bf-109 E.

They love ruining your aim by rolling round and round to ground level, and you overshoot them. When they start spraying you with those high efficiency russian machine guns, you really start to sweat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

SeaFireLIV
06-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Metatron_123:
I've been playing Luftwaffe Pilot: Kondor lately, and those Polikarpov I-16 can really be a match for your Bf-109 E.

They love ruining your aim by rolling round and round to ground level, and you overshoot them. When they start spraying you with those high efficiency russian machine guns, you really start to sweat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

It`s interesting how the experience can be interpreted depending on what side the Player is on. You perceive being a 109 flier as hard against the I16...

I play as I16 against 109s on the Eastern front alot, and I can tell you, that is hard! It`s a nightmare. 109s will usually split up and attack you from several different angles and it doesn`t take much for them to side-swipe me with a head shot or bust some part of my engine or wing. Often I have to run away, but even that`s a near impossibility, since they can catch me easily. I have to run- turn (to avoid his shots)- run- turn- run, while calling for help and trying not to stall. Often help never comes since all the other I16s have been shot down or too busy. If I don`t have my head on a constant swivel, I will always get shot down.

If I`m lucky I might get a shot in with the better guns of the I16 type 24, when an AI 109 overshoots. Even then, as soon as I get on the tail of a 109 he`ll extend away flying in a straight line while his best m8 comes behind me.

Let`s not forget that I must never dive or the neg-G will kick in, ruining my day.

I would say it`s way tougher for an I16 player than it is for a 109 player against AI.

ps. Interestingly, B239s are easy to deal with in an I16.