PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is Half Life 2 worth it?

james_ander
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I am a flight simmer first and foremost, but I enjoy the odd shooter. My favorite is Hidden and Dangerous 2. Call of Duty is ok, but too linear and inflexible. I like a thinking man's shooter and not too much run and gun. I like lots of atmosphere and details. I like a good mixture of thinking/blasting my way through. HL2 is a little steep for my budget, but I wouldn't mind if I really enjoyed it. Anyway, what are the chances of a flight simmer like myself enjoying HL2?

Thanks for the help.

james_ander
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I am a flight simmer first and foremost, but I enjoy the odd shooter. My favorite is Hidden and Dangerous 2. Call of Duty is ok, but too linear and inflexible. I like a thinking man's shooter and not too much run and gun. I like lots of atmosphere and details. I like a good mixture of thinking/blasting my way through. HL2 is a little steep for my budget, but I wouldn't mind if I really enjoyed it. Anyway, what are the chances of a flight simmer like myself enjoying HL2?

Thanks for the help.

carguy_
02-17-2005, 06:45 PM
I would like to ask the same question.It costs 60$ here.

Isn`t it too short(singleplayer)?

Is online play satisfying?

3.JG51_BigBear
02-17-2005, 06:56 PM
I'd go with no. The graphics are awesome and the gameplay is kinda nice but its another 1st person shooter. In my opinion, although HL2 has a lot more to offer, it was a lot like Doom3. Lot of great gaphics but not much substance and not long enough. The last pure first person shooter I liked was Max Payne 2, that game was great. I'd save your money and wait for Gohst Recon two. The X-box version is an awesome tactical shooter and the PC version is shaping up nicely, should be out middle of March if I remember correctly.

ImpStarDuece
02-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Not having played it for more than half an hour I will state an unequivocable YES, unless it cuts into your simming time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Its an amazing game, plays like a really, really intense movie. MAybe a little short but the graphics, physics and AI are all VERY good.

What clinches it for me though are the amount of mods that are available or being worked on for HL2. The core game engine is supposedly a VERY good and highly flexiable piece of coding and there are a bucketload of full detail, otaku like mods coming down the pipe-line.

IL2 is the only game I devote myself too (otherwise I lose my flying edge) but HL2 is well worth the money and the time invested in it.

Dolemite-
02-17-2005, 07:18 PM
HL2 is definitely worth it, but im sure you cant find it for less than 60$

Amon26
02-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Just as I wouldnt suggest Pacific Fighters to someone who isnt a flight sim player, I wouldn't suggest HL2 to someone who didn't like shooters.

that being said, I'll now say HL2 is worth the 50 dollar investment if you enjoy first person shooters. Looks good, plays good, and it actually uses the physics engine for something other than ragdolls (there are some clever puzzles)

It has the same immersability that Pac. Fighters does. Where you don't so much try to figure out what you can do, but what you CAN'T do.. Plays and reacts fluidly.

Owlsphone
02-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Played it, beat it, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. People will all have different views on the same game after they've played it so I can't really tell you that you will definitely enjoy it. All I know is that it was worth it for the experience to me. A very nice looking experience I might add! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

tsisqua
02-17-2005, 08:15 PM
It will check online every time that you play to make sure that you are a registered user. If I was to pay the $55.00 for the game, I would expect a one time registration anyway . . . but every time I want to go to HL2 Screamland?

If you can put up with that, then its an awesome game, (I did play the demo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), but as for me, no thanks.

Have Fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Tsisqua

heywooood
02-17-2005, 08:46 PM
my son loves it...I have watched him play and it looks awesome....if you like surreal, nighmarish, hectic action and serious firepower then you have no choice but to get it. It dovetails nicely with Doom3 in that regard, BtW...

and for online, well C/S is upgraded drastcally with HL2.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-17-2005, 09:02 PM
The Steam registration can be a PITA, but the game was thoroughly enjoyable for me and ran quite well on my new Vid card even turned way up.

I liked the first and knowing many next-gen games are using it's engine, I wanted to see if it was just a re-wrapped original. It's not. It's better and as a mindless sideline for some reflex training, I highly recommend it.

TB

Owlsphone
02-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Oh and another thing...the gravity gun could be the greatest concept in gaming. HL2 deathmatch seemed like it was created with the sole purpose of making blooper vids. There is something wholly satisfying about ripping a toilet from the bathroom floor and throwing it across a room at someone, only to see their ragdoll body go flying. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
I would also suggest downloading the demo. Consider yourself lucky enough to be able to try out a game before you buy it. Many games don't have demos.

GvSAP_Wingnut
02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tsisqua:
It will check _online_ every time that you play to make sure that you are a registered user. If I was to pay the $55.00 for the game, I would expect a one time registration anyway . . . but every time I want to go to HL2 Screamland?

If you can put up with that, then its an awesome game, (I did play the demo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), but as for me, no thanks.

Have Fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Tsisqua <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can change it so that it doesn't do that, unless of course you're playing online. I've never bothered, I only play online now anyway.

Yes, it's worth it... I've done a lot of gaming since the mid-80's, and playing and finishing HL2 rates right at the top for best gaming experience. Just wish it was longer.

Online (I don't play CS, but do play HL2 Deathmatch) hmmmm... at first, I thought it was ridiculous. Most of the time it is, if you don't like frag fests. The trick is to get on a server with no more than 6 or so people, even less on a smaller map.

New DM map and some weapons came out today... map is great!

As for Steam... well... just as big a hassle nowadays to register and post in a forum, just not as long.

BlackShrike
02-17-2005, 09:18 PM
i would only buy half life 2 or Doom 3 once you have bought a 6800GT card or a X800 PRO card.

anything less and id wait to get the new card and the games will be alot cheaper by the time you get the card anyway.

if you already have one of those cards then id say half life 2 was fun. as is doom 3. i found medal of honor pacific assault a very sub par game. and i loved all 3 medal of honor games before the pacific one.

half life 2 is way better than farcry also

BlackShrike
02-17-2005, 09:19 PM
if you want my absolute serious opinion then wait for brothers in arms. its a ww2 fps game and its gonna blow away call of duty. that games coming out in about a month.

game of the year ill bet for sure

Owlsphone
02-17-2005, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackShrike:
if you want my absolute serious opinion then wait for brothers in arms. its a ww2 fps game and its gonna blow away call of duty. that games coming out in about a month.

game of the year ill bet for sure <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brothers In Arms is supposed to ship March 1st. I'll be picking up that one for sure. 2 more weeks...(actually not a patch reference)

GvSAP_Wingnut
02-17-2005, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackShrike:
i would only buy half life 2 or Doom 3 once you have bought a 6800GT card or a X800 PRO card.

anything less and id wait to get the new card and the games will be alot cheaper by the time you get the card anyway.

if you already have one of those cards then id say half life 2 was fun. as is doom 3. i found medal of honor pacific assault a very sub par game. and i loved all 3 medal of honor games before the pacific one.

half life 2 is way better than farcry also <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd respectfully disagree with you the video cards - for Doom3, yes... it eventually brought my computer to it's knees at a certain point in Hell. I never finished the game. HL2, however, runs smooth as silk and looks stunning.

I have a 9800Pro (128MB), AMD 3000+ CPU, 1 gig of ram.

Agamemnon22
02-17-2005, 10:11 PM
You said you like atmosphere and detail, I think HL2 is very strong in that area. It's just ooozing with style, and the gameplay is fun by itself, so I'd definitely recommend it. It's also quite scalable so if you don't have a to of the like PC you will still be able to run it.

HellToupee
02-17-2005, 10:45 PM
i would have to say no, i found it short much shorter than d3, i found way too easy even on hard, the story well it made no sense and gave no anwsers, the multiplayer well i dont like CS and i want to play deathmatch ill play ut2k4.

NetDaemon
02-17-2005, 10:46 PM
I played through Farcry, Doom3 and Half-Life2 with my venerable AIW 9700pro at 1280x960, 2xAA and 2xAniso with no problems whatsoever.

All games were set to 1 level below the maximun detail level allowed.

Never had framerates drop below 20, averaging 30 to 35 during most of the levels.

How did I do it? by having a powerful CPU to help the vid card, an AMD64 3200+ and a gig of DDR400 ram.

So, you definitely don`t need the latest/gratest video card out there to enjoy those games at a good resolution and with most of the eye candy enabled. Just a good (3Ghz+) CPU and a gig of ram to go along, these games eat ram by the tons. And of course a DirectX9 video card like ATI`s 9600/9700/9800 line and/or Nvidia`s 5700/5900 one, not the latest but good enough and going cheap nowadays.

As for the fun factor for me it was in this order: FarCry best, HL2 good, Doom3 regular to boring sometimes.

If you haven`t yet, try FarCry first, you`ll love it and it`s going cheap now too.

Udidtoo
02-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Yes, it is. Like NetD said, runs very well on 9700 and up. Looks unbelievable on a X800 XT PE. I started it over just to see it all in 6X16. Its worth the admission price just for the incredible visuals.

civildog
02-17-2005, 11:34 PM
I can't really recommend it. I loved the original, and the follow-up games like Opposing Force, but this one was a huge dissapointment after the first level. It looks awesome (most of it anyway - I had a AMD64 3500 and ATI 9800Pro chewing on it), but there's no depth or interesting gameplay.

After having played FarCry to death....and I still play it again and again. I expected advances similar to FarCry in HL2 and, except for the graphics, the meat just wasn't there. It feels like a rail-shooter half the time, it doesn't even allow the freedom of movement FarCry does let alone giving you any alternate ways of solving levels. You can't lean around corners, crawl, or do anything other than the same motions from the original. And the ONLY way to solve every level is to just kill and blow up everything in sight as fast as you can. Sneaking just delays the inevitable so just runnning and blasting away works when it shouldn't. When first played FarCry I would spend 10-15 minutes sometimes making a good stalk before taking down guards without a hit in return, or bypass them completely to achieve objectives when low on ammo or outnumbered. Verrry realistic and rewarding gameplay.

The physics are great - yahoo!, but they were great in FarCry, too, and more useful. The only level that got any emotional response from me other than boredom and frustration was the incredibly scary Raven-something one. It made my hair stand on end, but it felt a little out of place considering the sci-fi story in rest of the game.

I burned through the entire game in less than 10 hours. Which is not good enough for 50 bucks by far. My general rule of thumb is I need to get 1 hour of gameplay for every dollar. So far that rule holds true for the good ones...FarCry, original HalfLife, FB+AEP+PF, etc..

Get FarCry. Now. You won't regret it. Wait till HL2 is more reasonably priced...like in the 10.00 bargin bin.

BlackShrike
02-18-2005, 12:14 AM
the difference between the best settings for video in HL2 and one step down is like the difference between perfect mode with best water in F.B. and normal settings.

thats why i suggest the best cards. yes you can play it with 9800pro but it does not look as good. might as well wait till the game is cheap later with a nicer card

GAU-8
02-18-2005, 12:46 AM
"I like a thinking man's shooter and not too much run and gun. I like lots of atmosphere and details. I like a good mixture of thinking/blasting my way through."

what YOU WANT is...

OPERATION FLASHPOINT (GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION)

will cost you about 20 U.S. dollars

the graphics are older, yes, but NON linear gameplay awaits you. your not on a "RAIL" but on massive map islands.

an easy yet powerful mission maker included. ive had the game several years, and never even thought about beating the game, mission maker is THAT GOOD!

tons of "units" (soldiers), armor, aircraft, facial skins, utilities, islands, aircraft for download await you.

it takes a little bit to understand the keyboard layout, and functionaity, but after you get it......ALL 1st person shooters suck, after playing this (for virtually being a soldier) you can ALSO move the head independantly from the body. (run one direction, look in another) it helps, and has never been enebled into another game.

dont worry bout HL2, get OFP (GoY edition)

dazza9806482
02-18-2005, 01:39 AM
I thoroughly recommend Half-life 2, played through it once and it was an unparalleled experience.

PF and FB are more like life choices, they can be a long time hobby and we all know the replayability.

Half-life 2 doesnt compare on this front, but in terms of a one-off its a staggeringly atmospheric and haunting game. Ignore the naysayers, steam can be a pain, but once sorted stick your earphones on and enjoy the ride.

as for the games length, it is actually fairly long, the issue is that it is often so effortlessly good that u can be on it for hours and not even blink.

Civildog is right, Far Cry is also an impressive game, howver its open ended gameplay is offset by a certain lack of believability and repetition. Still an excellent game but doesnt quite match half-life for that gritty, realistic feel.

as for Doom 3, I was looking forward to this the most, developers made some big claims, but ultimately i was disappointed.

looked amazing, but played like doom 2, in fact it wasnt as good. the minions of hell constantly hiding in cupboards killed it for me.

as for graphics requirements i have a crappy 9800se (4 pipeline!) an 2800xp and a gig of ram. all 3 of these game ran fine and were fantastic visual feasts.

my two 2p, as an avid FPS (and game) fan since 1984. actually FB was my first real sim....

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jasko76
02-18-2005, 01:45 AM
I agree with CivilDog.

HL2 is okay, but not worth the hype surrounding it. What makes it even worse is the whole Steam thing, which I think is ridicilous - pirates will make copies no matter what, only drawback is you can't downoad any patches. And patches it needs! Original, out of the box game is so unbeleiveably buggy it MUST be patched to be enjoyable. Once you have everything installed, the game is completely transformed.

Far Cry has always been overshadowed by Doom 3 and now HL2, which is pitty. Doom 3 is a dark, scary and satanic game, designed to scare the player out of his wits. If you like that, then by all means get it.

Far Cry it self - smart AI, fun weapons, no silly super guns. You choose how you want to solve each problem - by using firepower or stealth. Graphics are top notch and you feel so free in those tropical open spaces. Plus it runs better then its Dx 9 rivals and looks swell!

Vacillator
02-18-2005, 03:30 AM
I'll join the 'Yes' side. Great game and lovely graphics (and that's on a mere 9800 Pro + XT bios). The Steam thing was a bit of a drag installing and registering but once up and going it was fine and applied automatic updates every now and then when logging on. Downside is it could be a bit longer (depending on your difficulty setting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), and once finished you aren't likely to keep coming back. Compare that with hundreds / thousands of hours logged flying Il2 to PF...
Can't compare with Far Cry as I only bought it yesterday for 14.99 and it's still in the post.

ASM 1
02-18-2005, 03:55 AM
Well I enjoy it - got the special edition DVD, which comes in a collectors tin, with a T shirt and Source engined version of the original HL. As for graphics, it played just fine on my 3.0E, 9800XT 128 MB (yes I know there is no such card http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif - it was a 9800 pro with an XT BIOS) Have since put in a 3.4 and an X800XTPE - http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif very nice. As for the game itself, well I still haven't finished it... there are some really nice touches (ability to drive vehs) I wasn't disappointed and bought this instead of Doom 3 (which I'd heard was disappointing)

And for online play ? well I haven't tried (yet) - I am still addicted to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory :demon: - am also in an ET clan so, online play with any other games doesnt happen much (including PF http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif)

tjaika1910
02-18-2005, 04:22 AM
Since most people here is so positive, I´ll guess I post some negative stuff.

I finished DOOM3 mostly because of old nostalgia. I found it boring in the end, repetetive and much too easy. But I finished though. With that in mind I only downloaded the demo of HL2. I didn´t bother to finish the demo. Boring, boring, boring.

... and YES, I love THIS game. In fact, it is the only game I have installed. And it has the record already for the longest period of play. I´ll guess I will play this game years from now (or some BOB descendent)

So, download the demo, try it first.

BTW: the people I know playing Counterstrike haven´t switched.

madsarmy
02-18-2005, 04:45 AM
It looks good but no big challenge's & the end is PANTS. but all said & done I dont feel that I wasted my money. I enjoyed it.

Also like the fact you dont have to put disk in to play after you first register.

indylavi
02-18-2005, 06:35 AM
HL2 is a good game but it's a FPS. So don't expect any real tatics. I had a lot of fun with it. I've played it to the end about 5 times already. It's fun to just run around and do stupid stuff. Like once you get the gravity gun only use that weapon. Online play is only HL2 deathmatch and Counter Strike. So I don't play online much except Deathmatch for some giggles. Nothing like bouncing a toliet off your friends head with the G-Gun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif It's on GoGamer for about $40.
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001HAL2I

Don't worry about the Import label it's a US release just labeled wrong. That's where I bought my copy.

However, FarCry is another great game as well. In FarCry you can actually sneek around. I really love that game as well. Too bad there won't be another one because Crytek was bought by EA. You could even find it at your local store used pretty cheap. If not EB games has it for $20. I'd highly recommend both games myself.

Xiolablu3
02-18-2005, 06:46 AM
The game is very very good, if a little short, but the fact that you get CounterStrike Source with it free makes the pack well worth buying.

Its the best/most enjoyable FPS by far as long as you have a net connection.

Also what is it with this forum and system specs?? People seem to MASSIVELY Over-suggest needed components?!?
Halflife 2 ran GREAT on my 2500+ with a
Radeon 8500 (yes thats 8500 NOT X850) and 256mb ram!! This is on high graphics too. over 35fps at all times.

Those suggesting waiting to play HL2 till you have a 6800GT or X800 must have VERY badly set up computers. As long as you have a 8500/9200 or more (ATI) or a GF4TI420 you will be absolutely fine.

indylavi
02-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Xiolablu3 is right. My girlfriend was able to play it quite well on her Geforce 4600ti. Of course the fancy DX9 lighting didn't show but it still ran smooth.

B16Enk
02-18-2005, 08:35 AM
It was nice, disapointing though after the original.

Tried online play for the first time two nights ago. Won't be repeating that experience http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

NetDaemon
02-18-2005, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B16Enk:
It was nice, disapointing though after the original.

Tried online play for the first time two nights ago. Won't be repeating that experience http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To all those dissapointed with HL2(some) and Doom3(most) the best medicine is again:

FarCry, FarCry, FarCry !!!

adlabs6
02-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I liked HL2, and CSS. All the complaining about Steam... arg. Heck I'm on dialup, and I just installed, it auto-updated and patched both HL2 and CCS and I switched Steam to offline mode. It hasn't been 'online' or 'phoned home' since unless I want to check for patches. And Steam's auto patching sure beats hunting for an .exe file and then worring about install order when there are half a dozen patches for download.

HL2 gameplay is enjoyable, even on low end systems for me. I beat it twice on an AMD2000+, 416MB Ram, and FX5900 card. It was always smooth for me. Then I got an AMD 3100, 512MB Ram, and the same FX5900 card... even faster since the cpu can better handle the AI, etc. Some levels are great, it's all in how you play them though. Fast and furious in the airboat, long ranged sneaking attacks on Highway 17, stealth and remembering to duck everywhere else makes it fun. I loved the big bridge on Highway 17, and Sand Traps.

CSS is what I'm enjoying now, it's got some bots added on that are sometimes spooky in how they camp with such patience. Fun stuff.

NorrisMcWhirter
02-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi,

HL2 is worth the money relative to other titles. It was a little too easy and it's not pants-messing amazingdom (like some people suggest) but it's a very worthy shooter and, like people say, there are to be lots of mods out for it.

As to hardware, it ran fine on my old rig with the settings on medium (smoother than PF, anyway)

XP2400+
Win XP
512MB RAM
GF4 Ti4200 64MB 4x

Cheers,
Norris

Taylortony
02-18-2005, 01:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vacillator:
Can't compare with Far Cry as I only bought it yesterday for 14.99 and it's still in the post. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

boy are you in for a big treat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif it blows the rest into the weeds......... if you can run it with everything maxed or near maxed out, it makes doom 3 look dated

zdenkaxx1
02-18-2005, 03:18 PM
i've always been obsessed with WW2 games and when my kids bought HL2 as a surprise i smiled sweetly and put it to one side.actually got round to installing it a couple of weeks back and i must say that i enjoyed it.the gameplay is'nt particularly challenging even on the hardest setting but it is fun,especially when playing with the gravity gun and bodies!
its quite heavily scripted and the bots too predictable but thats what you get with singleplayer.
so i gave HL2 deathmatch a go.best way i could describe it would be "frantic carnage" not as bad as UT2004 but too much for me.
moved onto counterstrike and spent a little time trying to fathom why its so popular.i gave up.inferior to medal of honour in my eyes.
in fact if you are looking for a more mature first person shooter then i would highly recommend medal of honour multiplayer team games.no running around blazing away wasting your life goes on,its more stealthy. not as stealthy as H&D2 though.
that reminds me......i havent completed the add-on,sabre squadron yet.

Doc_Hollydayz
02-18-2005, 03:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ASM 1:

And for online play ? well I haven't tried (yet) - I am still addicted to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory :demon: - am also in an ET clan so, online play with any other games doesnt happen much (including PF http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you ASM 1, for a free game that is quite old now, enemy territory is brilliant! Been playing it a lot since I got broadband about 4 months ago, really love the fact that to do well everybody has to work together towards the objectives. Since my flying leaves a lot to be desired if I go online to play its on an Enemy Territory server. Its great fun, in fact I m going there now!

Call sign Doc Hollyday on Enemy Territory - See you there.

Lucius_Esox
02-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Ultimately for me it was just another first person shooter, albeit a pretty one! Not a thinking game at all. If you like games like HD2 and OF then you wont like this i don't think. I havent even bothered to complete it!!

FI-Aflak
02-18-2005, 06:49 PM

half life 2 is way better than farcry also <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

played on a 9800 XT 128mb, full detail (not full resolution). Got good FPS the whole time. Shens on this post.

zdenkaxx1
02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
and another point worth considering is steam.once you register the cd-key online,which you have to to install the game,its your for life.i may be wrong but i believe you have to pay to cancel the registration before you can part with the game.sure killer for the second hand market. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Yog_Shoggoth
02-19-2005, 12:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I'd go with no. The graphics are awesome and the gameplay is kinda nice but its another 1st person shooter. In my opinion, although HL2 has a lot more to offer, it was a lot like Doom3. Lot of great gaphics but not much substance and not long enough. The last pure first person shooter I liked was Max Payne 2, that game was great. I'd save your money and wait for Gohst Recon two. The X-box version is an awesome tactical shooter and the PC version is shaping up nicely, should be out middle of March if I remember correctly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, it seems like you prefer 3rd person shooters then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Buy the game, beat the game, play it through again with just the final weapon, mess wth the physics, go nuts.

And to anyone who said they didn't finish it: the last two levels are better than the entire rest of the game combined. What were you thinking?

harryrriedl
02-19-2005, 05:08 AM
hell yes i can even run on a celaron 2ghz with a gforce4mx with no slowdown on midiam textures i kid you not. and its got the best gameplay on a fps and it got a consaitly changing pace. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Heavy_Weather
02-19-2005, 07:03 AM
HL2 is a great game, hooking up to Steam just to play is lame. great graphics though, needs a high end machine to run it smoothly.

Aeronautico
02-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Dunno about HL2 since I have not installed yet, but Far Cry was a very nice surprise and I bet it beats HL2 too.

In the same league but slightly older I'd suggest Mafia.

Somebody mentioned Operation Flashpoint. That, to tactical shooters, is exactly what IL-2 is to combat flight sims. Yes, it's that good. H&D2 is also a great choice, and so Vietcong is.

zdenkaxx1
02-19-2005, 02:50 PM
i think vietcong is worth playing just for the training,shades of full metal jacket http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

DarkCanuck420
02-19-2005, 05:27 PM
If you guys like shooters and WWII Brothers in Arms is going gold very, very soon. Ive been watching it since they announced it, check that out it is going to be a milestone in FPS.
http://www.brothersinarmsgame.com/us/agegate.php?destURL=index.php

================================================

james_ander
02-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. I post these kinds of questions here because flight simmers seem to have similar tastes.

Heres the plan: I'm going to try the demo and see if I just have to have it for $50+

If it's just ok, I'll buy it when it's cheap. I'm also considering getting UT 2004 to try out Red Orchestra, which seems more my speed. Definately will check out Brothers in Arms.

I'm trying to get into Far Cry, but somehow just can't. It's not FC, it's just me....

Oh well, Thanks again for the input.