PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo Doors Question

AdolphMeinhard
07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
How did the outer torpedo doors open on the Type VII? Were they pneumatic or electric? I think they pressurized torpedo tubes with air -how could they tell if doors were closed and sealed? Thanks

Celeon999
07-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Hmmmmm, ive read a lot of times about the torpedocrew opening the doors manually with handwheels.

I assume that they also had an pneumatic system.

Goose_Green
07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
If Das Boot (the movie) is anything to go on - the doors were opened by hand wheels.

They may have had two means of opening;
<LI>Hand wheels when the boat was rigged for silent running
<LI>Compressed air for normal boat operations.

lecek
07-17-2006, 04:14 PM
They could have been electric. The dive planes for example were electric.

Many U-boat systems had "handrolic" backups.

AdolphMeinhard
07-18-2006, 07:14 AM
I know that if you use the Q hotkey and listen closely you can hear what sounds like air rushing. I can't figure out how the eel was launched. If it was launched by air then the tube would have to pressurized with doors closed. But in the game the doors are opened prior to torpedo launch, which indicates to me that the torp was energized in the tube and launched that way. In the book Iron Coffins, Werner had a serious misshap due to a malfunctioning torpedo door, but I forget if it was external or internal hatch. It makes sense to have handwheels to manually open doors, but that doesn't explain the whooshing sound when the Q hotkey is utilized. I am thinking that the tubes were pressurized and the outer door was opened normally by pneumatics from the pressurized tube. Then the eel's motor was energized. I am sure there had to be a way to eject the torpedo though. Thanks for all the help-A.M.