PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot leaves MW-50 activated without message.

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Although I'm relatively new to Il-2, I noticed that my BF109G-10 and FW190D-9 lost enginepower very quickly even though I never used MW-50 and without a single overheat-message. I also alway use the autopilot until an enemy is located, and after inspecting the pressure-gauge I noticed that after leaving autopilot the pressure is always WAY over normal 100%/110% throttle (end of gauge).

So, could the autopilot secretly be using the MW-50, and leave it activated even when it doesn't notify me with the usual textmessage?

Is this being fixed in the upcoming patch?

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Although I'm relatively new to Il-2, I noticed that my BF109G-10 and FW190D-9 lost enginepower very quickly even though I never used MW-50 and without a single overheat-message. I also alway use the autopilot until an enemy is located, and after inspecting the pressure-gauge I noticed that after leaving autopilot the pressure is always WAY over normal 100%/110% throttle (end of gauge).

So, could the autopilot secretly be using the MW-50, and leave it activated even when it doesn't notify me with the usual textmessage?

Is this being fixed in the upcoming patch?

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 10:41 PM
MW50 dont cuase damage or overheating it helps prevent it by raising the octane rating of the fuel. High octane fuel detonates at a higher temperature.

Pre-ignition can cause catostropic engine damage, this occurs when the engine becomes hot and there is a hot spot on the pistol or cylinder wall that causes the fuel to ignite before pistol is tdc (top dead center) which will damage piton's or the crank and rods etc. of engine. By adding MW50 this reduces knocking and lowers risk of pre-ignition, which is increased when you boost a engine, which alot of fighters were. Superchargers and turbo's raise the compression of the engine, when u raise compression there is more air tightly packed in the combustion chamber, causing a larger stronger explosion giving u more power. To reduce this Risk MW50 is added to raise octane levels, race cars and dragsters use the same process with high octane fuels for there boosted motors and high compression rating. High octane dont give you more power, which is a mis-conception made by most. If you put 87 octane in your car than go buy some 92 high octane you wont get more power from your engine, your engine will run cleaner and cooler though.
So being this, by you raising your throttle to 100% or more and not having Mw50 activated you are causing engine damage. I am not a expert at flying the Bf-109's or there engine management system so maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate on this point. When i fly the 109k in combat ill have throttle at 99% and MW50 activated the whole flight. I have even burnt my motor up on take off in 109 from pushing here too hard over 100% and taking off and no MW50, u know the marbles in your motor sound the 109 motor loves to make.

Message Edited on 07/30/03 01:44PM by VMF-214_Pappy

Message Edited on 07/30/0301:46PM by VMF-214_Pappy

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2003, 12:06 AM
Hmmm, I guess it could be my misconception... I'll try to use the MW-50 your way... because I always saw it as an afterburner-type bonus... not as a fridge-type bonus :-)

Thanx