PDA

View Full Version : Is my CP melting HELP QUICK!?

Alloy007P
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I smell a burning hair kind of smell and its over by my computer is my CP burning up?!

M_Gunz
03-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Turn it off and clean the CPU heatsink out. It's probably got a hair in it.
If that ain't it then keep looking. You mighta got a piece of hair in the power supply,
don't open that unless you really know what you're doing! There's BIG caps in there that
can burn ya, buddy!

If you see any of those little can-looking things on the board with bulges like at the top
then get it to a competent repair place, those are cheap capacitors gone bad.

EDIT: come to think about it, if a hair on the heatsink actually burns then your box needs
more airflow of the CPU fan is boinked. Some (most) mobos have temperature sensors that
you can check right from the BIOS pages without waiting for Winblows to load. If the heat
is above 140F then turn it off and get it cleaned/fixed/new or more fans!

If while it's running you feel the top of the box and it's hot, you need better air flow!
That's the quick and dirty check. A buddy here had that and I looked, the PC was sitting
on shag carpet and the main air intake is of course in the front at the bottom, blocked
by the rug. Two pieces of wood later and the box has run cool ever since.

Please just don't say that you have the box crammed into some small space and junk/papers
wedged in all around it! Even if it's true, don't say it! Don't say you use the monitor
as some kind of shelf (50% of offices, I used to see that) to hold paper, etc!

Agamemnon22
03-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Assuming the problem is actually in the PC case, I would be willing to bet it's the power supply. I've been doing this for years, if it burns, its power supply. Does the PC turn off on its own sometimes? That would further indicate a power supply about to go.

If you have another power supply to slap in there, I would do that ASAP. If not, I would try to localize the smell a bit more. I would expect you to find that it is the power supply and therefore replace it, but investigate and get back to us.

stansdds
03-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Yep, if your pc is randomly slowing down, locking up, or rebooting, it may well be the PSU.

Deedsundone
03-07-2007, 06:44 AM
George?