PDA

View Full Version : Who is best F5F6 or N1K1J

Loaner1988
01-11-2005, 02:17 PM
im flying the F6F5 in Iwo Jima, and every time I have to intercept N1K1J, they out manuvering me (that is understanding) but I should have a great speed superiorty, the N1K1J max speed is 363mph and the F6F5 Hellcat has 380, and in dives the Hellcat would increase speed with no problem, I thing that the N1K1J would have a problem trying to keep up. As well the Hellcat was best above 1000 feet, i flew it at 10000feet and still no matter what i did the N1K1J followed me.

Loaner1988
01-11-2005, 02:17 PM
im flying the F6F5 in Iwo Jima, and every time I have to intercept N1K1J, they out manuvering me (that is understanding) but I should have a great speed superiorty, the N1K1J max speed is 363mph and the F6F5 Hellcat has 380, and in dives the Hellcat would increase speed with no problem, I thing that the N1K1J would have a problem trying to keep up. As well the Hellcat was best above 1000 feet, i flew it at 10000feet and still no matter what i did the N1K1J followed me.

Chuck_Older
01-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Loaner http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The F6F was never noted as a very fast plane. The difference between 363 miles an hour and 380 is not very great when you consider the percentage of speed difference is very low. It's only 17 miles an hour.

Plus, what you are seeing is very likely Indicated Air Speed or IAS, and not True Air Speed, or TAS. IAS need not be your actual airspeed.

One thousand feet is not very high. Ten thousand isn't even the F6F's 'sweet spot' in real life. The attainable maxiumum airspeed in a real F6F is only at something like 24,000 feet

How you trim and manage your CEM is sometimes very important to your acceleration to mx speed, and your attainable max speed, I find. Maybe you need to play around with different prop, cooling flap, and throttle positions at various altitudes to wring every mph out of the Hellcat

Loaner1988
01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif thanks, Ill try it out

LeadSpitter_
01-11-2005, 09:05 PM
george for sure, what we have ingame the early version later had 4 cannon in the wing which improved drag and manueverability alot.

WUAF_Badsight
01-11-2005, 09:36 PM
the last bit of speed possible isnt as important as how you use the other 90%

accelleration is just as important to me as top speed possible

to me , & i dont know why because it has over 2000 Hp , the Hellcat feels slow

would be awesome to have a flyable George in the game to test this out

VW-IceFire
01-11-2005, 09:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loaner1988:
im flying the F6F5 in Iwo Jima, and every time I have to intercept N1K1J, they out manuvering me (that is understanding) but I should have a great speed superiorty, the N1K1J max speed is 363mph and the F6F5 Hellcat has 380, and in dives the Hellcat would increase speed with no problem, I thing that the N1K1J would have a problem trying to keep up. As well the Hellcat was best above 1000 feet, i flew it at 10000feet and still no matter what i did the N1K1J followed me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The few N1K's that actually flew, without mechanical difficulties, and in the hands of experienced pilots were actually quite a handful to Hellcats. The N1K I think has an equal or better top speed with better manuverability and is generally tougher than most other Japanese planes so it was a good opponent. Of course, the Corsair was coming into its own as a carrier plane by this time and the F4U was quite a bit faster.