PDA

View Full Version : Search for PF-Am I crazy?

james_ander
10-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I have been having a tough time getting anything out of the EB in my town in upstate New York. The H&D2 expansion pack I ordered which was supposed to come out September 22, finally got here today. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that I made many useless trips when it was first supposed to be released because it was always going to arrive...tomorow, tommorrow. Went through this again recently just before it arrived, always accompanied by the snickers of the flunky behind the counter who found it all quite amusing.

Today when they told me PF wouldn't be out until Saturday, I had a tough time believing that they would even get this right.

So my wife and I took the ferry across the lake to Vermont and snatched up the last copy of PF at Gamestop. 3 hours and $20 in ferry tickets later, I am flying my B-25 and having a cold beer.

Kind of extreme, I guess, but somehow worth it.

I try to support the EB in my town, but it was just getting ridiculous. I got my deposit refunded for PF. It seemed right that they should lose my business on this one.

james_ander
10-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I have been having a tough time getting anything out of the EB in my town in upstate New York. The H&D2 expansion pack I ordered which was supposed to come out September 22, finally got here today. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that I made many useless trips when it was first supposed to be released because it was always going to arrive...tomorow, tommorrow. Went through this again recently just before it arrived, always accompanied by the snickers of the flunky behind the counter who found it all quite amusing.

Today when they told me PF wouldn't be out until Saturday, I had a tough time believing that they would even get this right.

So my wife and I took the ferry across the lake to Vermont and snatched up the last copy of PF at Gamestop. 3 hours and $20 in ferry tickets later, I am flying my B-25 and having a cold beer.

Kind of extreme, I guess, but somehow worth it.

I try to support the EB in my town, but it was just getting ridiculous. I got my deposit refunded for PF. It seemed right that they should lose my business on this one.

noshens
10-28-2004, 09:28 PM
I remeber i walked through entire manhattan in searches of AEP when it just came out, spent 5 hours didn't find it. Bought it next day in the first store I entered. And oh yeah all of this was during my classes.

JPackets
10-28-2004, 09:35 PM
All the Eb's in my town were not carrying it as well. Had to get it from Best Buy.

actionhank1786
10-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I called the local EB here on Tuesday, they informed it would be released today.
I went in today, to pick up my game at 10:30AM before i had to go to work.
And the guy said "Oh i think it's supposed to come out sometime in November"...
So i said "well the games website says it's shipped already" and he looked at the stack of boxes by the counter, and says "Well it might be here...come back in a couple of hours i might know more"
So i come back at 11:45 before i have to drive across town to work, and he doesnt have anything but a d@mned pile of GTA San Andreas.
There were seriously about 100 San Andreas games, but no PF...
i hate the world...

Firebird_79vRAF
10-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Well I might as well tell my tail of EB here in TBay Ontario.

First time I stopped in, 20 Oct 04, and they told me the release date was 13 Nov 04. That was fine because I think at this time the NA release date was still up in the air.

Started to see peoples posts that they were seeing PF in some stores so I head down to EB again on the 27 Oct 04 and ask if they have any copies in. The clerk looks at the book and tells me that the game isnt coming out until the 13th of Nov., I ask here to check again. Big mistake, I actually got into an argument with her just to get her to verify that on the computer. Low and behold, "Its in transit, should be here tomorrow." Btw, thanks for the apologee.

Head down to EB the next day during a break and see about 10 boxes stacked up beside the desk and the Purolater guy walking away. I figure I'll give them some time to sort through the boxes and come back later. Return 4 hours later and the boxes havent even moved. Walk in and ask the manager if PF came in today. He checks and tells me its not out until the 13th of Nov. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Same scenario as the day before, same results when he finally checks the computer.

I call there the next day and I hear the music to my ears response of "Yes sir, it just came in now." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fly down there across the city on my lunch, run into EB, "Nope didnt come in."

Shook my head in disgust and walked out, I didnt trust myself to speak to even play my game of "ask the release date".

On a side note they did have 10 cases of GTA sitting there.

GT182
10-30-2004, 02:14 PM
James_ander, where are you in so called "upstate NY", Plattsburgh? Over here in "Northern NY", Massena, it's not out on the shelves yet either. Not at EB or Walmart.

No FedEx today http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif. So it looks like Monday is the day it'll be here from Magnum-PC.

I have found that EB isn't all that interested in PC games. Not as much money in them as the console cr*p. The manager here is a friend of mine and I told him I'd get my fix(PF) somewhere else. You don't really want to know what he thinks of EB either. LOL

VW-IceFire
10-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Sounds like the company policy is to tell people that it'll be in the next day and hope that it arrives. Having worked in sales...it'll diffuse the situation but over the long term its very bad for business.

GT182
10-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Next time I'm in West Chester, Pa. do you want me to give EB your letters on what you think of them? Their corporate hq is not too far from my stepdaughter's and real easy to deliver em. You send em to me and I'd be http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif to deliver them personally.

necrobaron
10-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Weirdly enough, a few days ago at my local EB I saw brand new copies of Sabre Squadron in the bargain bin selling for $10.00. I was on one of my many "PF expeditions" and it was just by chance that I saw SS sitting there (I assumed it would've been under "New Releases"). I had not gone there with the intention of buying Sabre Squadron, but at $10.00, I thought it was certainly worth the price since I was a fan of H&D2.

When I called EB today(regarding PF) around 12:00 or so, the guy put me on hold to see if they had it. When he got back he said, "No. We don't have it in stock." I then asked him if they knew when they would. He simply (and rather smugly,IMO) said "Nope." We just sat there in awkward silence for a few seconds and then I just said "Okay." and hung up. It was obvious he had not even checked to see if they knew. That's the only smart@ssed response I've gotten from EB, but I've gotten that repeatedly from Wal-Mart. Without even bothering to check, the clerks would say they didn't know when(or even if) PF would come in. I felt like saying "Well why don't you check your d@mn computer you idiot." Surely there must be some sort of record of when expected shipments come in. EB isn't much better. I can get a release date out of them, but evidently they pull that out of their @sses.

Firebird_79vRAF
10-30-2004, 03:05 PM
But at least with Walmart the guy you talked to on the phone was probably filling in from shoes or something. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Guess you get minimum effort from some people for minimum wage is what it boils down too.

GT182
10-30-2004, 03:23 PM
I've found out one thing about WalMart the other day. The district manager is the one that orders what "he thinks" the store should have in stock for your buying pleasure. You can ask for something all you want and "if" he's in the "mood" you might see it in 6 months. Now I know why our local store has nothing in the way of pc supplies, other than the bare necessities.

Heck of a way to do buisness I'd say. Too bad old Sam isn't still around, he'd kick a** and heads would roll with an attitude like that.

steve_v
10-30-2004, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Search for PF-Am I crazy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeppers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/schizo.jpg

Bearcat99
10-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Go to best Buy.

TX-WarHawk
10-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Good luck dude.

InyerEye
10-30-2004, 05:56 PM
I got mine at Best Buy on the 28th.
A worker had to go into the back and get it.
EB Games,and Gamestop said it MIGHT be out on the 30th.

Dash_8
10-30-2004, 07:23 PM
I finally got a copy of PF at Best Buy here in Harrisburg, PA yesterday, but I had to pull teeth to get it.

PF wasn't on the rack but I had some inside information that the store did have it. My brother works in the shipping and inventory department of a Best Buy in Pittsburgh and he told me they got it in on a late truck on Wednesday night. He also checked the computer to tell me the Best Buy in Harrisburg received 12 copies of PF on Thursday morning. So when I didn't see it on the rack on Friday Afternoon, I asked a 'sales ASSociate' if they had sold out or it was still in the back waiting to be placed on the shelf. He tells me they didn't get any in and to wait until Monday and see if it arrives. I told him to check his computer again because I was 'pretty sure' they had received a shipment with PF in it. He said they had not even received it but 12 were on order.

Now I was mad, because I knew it was there and this guy was just trying to get me to give up and leave. So, I called my brother at work right then and there on his cell phone and had him look in the Best Buy computer system for the Harrisburg store. He said the computer again shows they received 12 copys on the day before (thursday).

So now I inform the sales person of my inside knowledge that they do have it and he better get someone to check the back room for PF.

Well to shorten the story, 1 other sales guy and a manager later, they "magically" produced a brand new copy of Pacific Fighters all priced and ready to go.

So anyone in central PA, the best buy in Harrisburg had 11 copies left as of Friday.