PDA

View Full Version : Poor framerate performance?

jaketimmons992
04-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Okay so i've been getting terrible stuttering and lag in this game and i can't seem to figure out what is causing it. I've got a fairly decent system and from other people's comments it seems like my PC should have plenty of power to play this game smoothly.

I've tried everything I could think of to remedy the problem. Updated drivers (yes i used driversweeper) to Nvidia 270.51. Re-installed the game. Switched settings around (v-sync on/off, AA on/off, texture settings low, etc. etc. Even When I dropped all the settings to the lowest possible I still got some noticeable chopping/hitching all over. I tried setting processor affinity to 1/2 cores. Nothing works! I'm at my wits end with this game.

Oh and for the record other recent games have played great on my system. Crysis 2(maxed out), Dragon age II(maxed out). Also my benchmark scores (3dmark vantage/2011) are right in line for my system. Also 12 hours prime95/ MSI Kombustor stable.

The game is still somewhat playable with the chopping but its far from enjoyable. This is only exacerbated by the terrible mouse controls used in this game. I was able to play assassins creed II maxed out on my old 8800gt system with no problems but now I can't play brotherhood with an OC'd gtx460? Wtf?

System specs:
Intel q6600 @ 3.6Ghz(8x450) watercooled
4Gb DDR2 900 ram (1:1 @ 2x450) 4-4-4-12 timings
Nvidia gtx460 @ 900/1800/4200

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've really been wanting to play this game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif.

Edit: It would also be helpful if people with similar graphics cards (nvidia gtx460/470 Ati 5700/5800 series) could let me know what type of performance they are getting. Running at 1920x1080 Btw.

jaketimmons992
04-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, I finally figured out the problem. After testing with Fraps I realized that the frame rate was actually just fine (Averaging around 40-50 fps). The problem is the absolutely garbage mouse controls in this game. When I rotate the camera using the direction keys on my keyboard it moves perfectly smooth but when I rotate the camera with the mouse it is choppy as hell. This is not a minor problem! It constantly jumps and skips around anywhere from 10-45 degrees as you pan the camera (completely unbearable). Even though it is running at a smooth 50fps it feels like 10fps or less sometimes.

After doing a little searching around I found out this may be due to the poor mouse acceleration implemented in this game. From another site: "Not only does AC:B suffer from mouse problems, but so does Assassin's Creed: 2. It may feel like the mouse movement is lags / is lagging, or is jumpy / jumping around. Some people call it mouse movement stuttering. At the moment, we do not know of a good fix for this, but we're actively looking. Many games allow you to modify their INI files to fix this, but this very well may not apply to this game"

The worst f*&@ing part of this is that Ubisoft refuses to even acknowledge this problem let alone offer up any solutions. I was hoping that the 1.02 patch would fix this but apparently that was rather naive of me. I doubt there will ever be a proper solution (unless somebody creates a mod) in which case I've just wasted 50$ on this POS game. Last Ubisoft game I ever buy.

For the record, I realize that buying a console controller would fix the problem but it's bulls@#$ that I should have have to pay another 30$ for a game which was clearly supposed to have mouse/keyboard support. I was able to play AC1 and AC2 just fine on the PC with my mouse. It's no small wonder why piracy is so rampant on the PC these days.

ace3001
04-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Do you have some special gaming mouse with a special driver for it or something? Cause I have a cheap imation mouse, and I have no mouse lag at all. I don't really understand why everyone rants about mouse controls. The only irritant about the mouse controls this time around for me is that while a climbing animation is in progress, the camera is locked.

jaketimmons992
04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
Do you have some special gaming mouse with a special driver for it or something? Cause I have a cheap imation mouse, and I have no mouse lag at all. I don't really understand why everyone rants about mouse controls. The only irritant about the mouse controls this time around for me is that while a climbing animation is in progress, the camera is locked.

I've got a Logitech g7 with basic windows drivers (no additional software). I've played many other games on this PC where the mouse works just fine so it can't be a driver issue.

As I've said this isn't just some minor picky lag issue. It's not like I'm asking for twitchy fast first person shooter accuracy here. The game is completely unbearable for me in its present state. It feels like its running at 10fps most of the time. Horrible chopping!

Maybe it is an issue with specific mice or something but as I said before AC1 and AC2 played fine for me (with the same exact mouse). I'm not the only one having this problem either.

AdsarthaM
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
No framerate problems here. My rig Intel Core i5 overclocked to 4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX 460 overclocked to 900 Mhz. Resolution 1920*1080 and all graphics settings maximum. Almost never have seen fps under 30 in any AC. But these games seem to be processor intensive - I actually overclocked the processor when seeing from MSI Afterburner that GPU was only running at about 70% when playing AC2 and ACB. After overclocking the processor gpu usage rate is all the time over 90% when playing and game runs about perfectly.

And I use XBOX controller - especially fighting is lots more fun with it.

jaketimmons992
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by AdsarthaM:
No framerate problems here. My rig Intel Core i5 overclocked to 4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX 460 overclocked to 900 Mhz. Resolution 1920*1080 and all graphics settings maximum. Almost never have seen fps under 30 in any AC. But these games seem to be processor intensive - I actually overclocked the processor when seeing from MSI Afterburner that GPU was only running at about 70% when playing AC2 and ACB. After overclocking the processor gpu usage rate is all the time over 90% when playing and game runs about perfectly.

And I use XBOX controller - especially fighting is lots more fun with it.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, as I said, my framerate seems to be good as well (after further inspection w/ fraps) but the mouse thing ruins it.

I'm really tempted to buy a cheap xbox controller but I think its BS that I should have to shell out another 30$ since the last two games worked fine w/ my mouse.

RasGhi
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I experience the SAME THING! It runs smooth for 20 sec then stutters after that for 2-3 sec. Man this is irritating.

Trenixdecease
04-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Same problem, they took all this time for the PC release and it just makes me wonder what they were actually doing. It's the still same problems that I had with the original assassin's creed and assassin's creed 2. I'm starting to think that ubisoft is slacking.

Michaeljcox24
04-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Ok was going to post this as a new thread but it might as been classed as a double post because I've already complained about this. However,

I too have the same problem, I game at 1920 by 1080, and stutterting at this resolution is horrendous. Whilst fault finding last night, I dropped the res down to 1650 x 1080, which is the res I used to play Assassins Creed 2 at on my old monitor (which co-incidently I dont seem to remember suffering from stutter)

And hey presto, the stuttering seemed to go away.

So, what do I conclude?

The fault is the games optimisation of PC Hardware. At higher resolutions (greater than 1650 by 1080) it doesn't utilise enough of the GPU to guarantee a smooth experience for gamers. As I have said in my posts relating to this subject, I've seen GPU usage in Afterburner very low, and the CPU used for the bulk of the 3D processing.

I know this for a fact, because I disabled Core 0, 1, 2, 3, ran my card at stock, and then re-enabled them and progressively as each core was enabled the game got smoother.

I then re overclocked my card and it didn't make a jot of difference to the stuttering which I was stuck with after re enabling all 4 cores.

So yeah, AC:B desperately needs a patch or a driver update so that at higher resolutions it pools more power from the GPU. I think until then, we're all stuck with it unfortunately.

DJBare
04-09-2011, 01:03 AM
I have both a GTX470 and HD5870, both cards can run the game at max settings with AA=4 res 1920x1080 at around 40fps with a little stuttering in very busy areas but nothing game breaking, it seems you have some kind of delay when new geometry and textures are passed to the video memory, one thing you might check is global settings in the nvidia control panel, be sure to let the game choose the settings where applicable.

Michaeljcox24
04-09-2011, 02:05 AM
I do, everything is on global mate

madarHR
04-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by RasGhi:
I experience the SAME THING! It runs smooth for 20 sec then stutters after that for 2-3 sec. Man this is irritating.

same thing and im not playing with a mouse or keyboard
my card is GTX 460

RasGhi
04-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Now it only stutters occasionally. While loading(Always) and non-predictable stutter.