PDA

View Full Version : Time to re-write manuals and tutorial?

OldMan____
06-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Well, in face of new FM many of us have changed our combat tatics. This is mostly related so some planes that changed their behavir at specific flight envelope.

So maybe is a good time to change the common adices that we write to each plane. P38, FW190, Spitfires etc.. all changed

I will give my contribution.

Example: FW190 A

With new FM the E retention of this bird increased a lot. Now it is not one of the worst E bleeder, but in fact a very good E holder. Medium speed tatics are now more pratical on this plane.

It is my impression that black out comes little bit earlier in all planes now, so high speed extreme turns are not the perfect way as they were. The reduced high speed roll also increase the vality of this point.

The tuned roll rates for all planes gave the FW190A great conditions on scissor fights (I've defeated several spitfires and Mustangs this way las week). Don't fear this maneuver anymore against spitfires, you have a good chance of defeating them.

More than ever, avoid the turbulence sound on your wings. Keeping E high is very important now. If you have 400 kph and enemy 300 this now is a great advantage as it cannot be canceled instantly as was on 3.04 by certain planes.

When turning cut power, this helps a lot with gyro effect on FW190A and makes possible to cut turn more easily.

The nose up force at high speed is greatly reduced, so beware when getting into black outs at high speed. I used to use this force to make turns without bleeding any E, but now you have to use stick.

FW190A vs Spit- Focus on build up E advantage. You can do it now. Make long extensions but even when zooming do not let speed get under 300 kph. You also have the scissor as a valid maneuver now.

FW190 vs P38- depends on the model. P38 is now great fighter. Late L can match you at high speed on anything but elevator. Use instant negative pitch to duck under its view and roll away. You can easily follow any P38 when you are on its tail , at least long enough to make a snap shot at that giant. At very low speeds you must make it commit to a rollign scissor, where clumsy P38 roll rate (at slow speeds) will make it a duck. But if it don't get into scissor and just turn .. don follow... extend.

P51- Now that is your worse enemy. it can do anythign you can, is slighty faster at any altitude. Incredbly you can defeat it in the ground where both planes are worse, the stall fight arena, specially scissor. 300 kph roll rate of FW is by FAR the greatest one. Use it. Also at very very close distance (like scissor ones) the .50 are not the best guns. Do not try to extend from a P51! Specially Mustang III

Philipscdrw
06-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Good post.

F19_Ob
06-20-2005, 06:39 AM
A tactical hanbook for online fighting would be fun but I think that is up to the community to do.

I myself hope to get back to making short combattactics in form of text and onlinetracks as I used to before ,but lately my FPS online made tracks a bit too choppy to use .

Whats really needed is a plane versus plane manual.
meaning that one goes through how for example one fights a 109 in a hurricane the best way. Going through all + and - for both planes.

Another example; How to survive in bombers and other grounpounders online versus fighters and how teamtactics can be executed with best effect.

Normally tactics deal with maneuvers and very little go into the + and - of the involved planes.

Good post http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

OldMan____
06-20-2005, 06:55 AM
You are correct Ob. We need that kind of info. Is hard (specially to newcommers) to learn the hard way.

ImpStarDuece
06-20-2005, 07:12 AM
It would be great but we need to get it translated into 11 different languages so that it would be available to all IL2 players.

Actually, what would be more wotrhwhile, at least for me, would be an updated object viewer.

I have been quietly some notes for such a project but its actually a fairly massive job.

jessi1
06-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Oldman any good sites to go to learn the scissors better. thanks

Philipscdrw
06-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Aren't there dedicated Il-2 fans who are proficient in two of the twelve languages? Can they translate for the communities?

Sadly the only other language I know is how to say 'Hello World' in C++.

BBB_Hyperion
06-20-2005, 08:25 AM
Oldman make a track next time so i can write a tutorial .) . Lets record some basic combat moves .

Yskonyn23
06-20-2005, 08:50 AM
A plane versus plane manual would be nice, but also a sh|tload of work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Then again, we already have the IL2 compare program, so a manual is quite obsolete.
What we do need is an updated manual, like Oldman said. I agree and a more throrough manual on air combat in WW2 wouldn't be a luxury either, but I guess it all comes down on the community.
I would like to contribute, but my time is far too limited to get into those kind of endeavors.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

OldMan____
06-20-2005, 10:28 AM
I will try to remember to save tracks of my next combats (specially the successful ones). We can assemple a few tracks and text to cover the most important classics.

When I talked manual I was thinking about comunity stuff. Not 1C work. we have tons of materiala bout how to fight with FW or P38.. but everything from pre 4.0 history.

We don't need to be in hurry. In a few weeks we can collect combat tracks enough to teach tatics on any plane.