PDA

View Full Version : Is it far better to. . . ?

Cristari
11-22-2010, 05:31 AM
I've just started playing and would love to know what everyone else prefers to do.

I have seen quite a few people do all of the tactics here but I want to know which one you prefer and what is best in your opinion?

CourtJestGaming
11-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Running aorund will only yield you 100-300 points or so per kill. I've been in alot of games where people are so used to winning being determined by kills, they fail to realize it's the points that win you the matches.

The best way to win, is by being stealthy and making kills.

I usually have 4 kills and like 7 deaths per game, but guess what, I usually win with around 5200 or so points also.

I just let those who wanna run around and be seen kill me if they want, just to smile knowing that it's not doing them any good whatsoever

postwick
11-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by NinjaYourFaceUp:
Running aorund will only yield you 100-300 points or so per kill. I've been in alot of games where people are so used to winning being determined by kills, they fail to realize it's the points that win you the matches.

I usually have 4 kills and like 7 deaths per game, but guess what, I usually win with around 5200 or so points also.

I just let those who wanna run around and be seen kill me if they want, just to smile knowing that it's not doing them any good whatsoever

I laugh when those dopes kill me. They get their 100 points then when the scoreboard comes up I see they're in last place. They just don't get it...but let's not tell them!

boxterduke
11-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by postwick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NinjaYourFaceUp:

I laugh when those dopes kill me. They get their 100 points then when the scoreboard comes up I see they're in last place. They just don't get it...but let's not tell them! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hehe, yeah I hear ya.
I had a guy kill me like 10 times in one match and he ended it up last still. He would just run and kill and only get 100 points each.

luth411
11-22-2010, 08:26 AM
One thing Ubisoft did so well is to design the point structure in a way that foments players to use stealth and strategy to both attack and evade. This is a huge shift in the typical multiplayer online paradigm in that you are not trying to get a high kill count.

Earlier today, I entered a match 3 minutes into the session. For the next 2 minutes, I was killed 5 times by a couple players who were just running from mark to mark as quickly as they could. Since none of their kills were remotely subtle, the points awarded were peanuts.

I proceeded to evade almost every noisy attempt on my life...with only 1 kill and 5 evasions I won the match by a large margin.

The most effective way to play is to understand the bonus structure and attempt to incorporate these elements in your kills and evasions. There's a reason the UI keeps the player informed with who their target is, how many others are after that target, and how many others are after you. If I'm in second or first with 3 pursuers and a contract that's on the other side of the map (or a roof monkey), I'll rack up more kills by duping pursuers than trying to chase down one target and revealing myself.

In the carnival or circus-type map (not sure the name), I held onto a lead without any kills in the last 4 minutes by chaining together stuns and lures. They literally had no idea where I was and I was in plain sight the whole time.

MuddledMuppet2
11-22-2010, 01:27 PM
This is interesting. I've tended to stay away from Wanted mode, feeling that i've got to run around like an idiot to find anyone, whereas on Manhunt (easily my preffered mode) I can rack up points (when on defence) purely by staying out of trouble, with some added goodies for escapes and stuns.

Am away from home at the mo for a few days so can't test this, but in wanted is it possible then to win/do well in a round points wise by just hiding, avoiding, escaping etc? Or would one really good kill need to be in their too?

obliviondoll
11-22-2010, 01:30 PM
100% votes to inflitrate and destroy.

Shame so many players don't actually do this.

If you run around lots, you get HEAPS less points.

If you join crowds and blend, occasionally running/fast walking a few steps to stay near the front of the group, and only step away from blended when you're making the kill, you win.

If you join a non-moving blend group and wait, then move on after a kill, that can work nicely too. Came 2nd a few times with that strategy on Adv. Wanted.

CourtJestGaming
11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by MuddledMuppet2:
This is interesting. I've tended to stay away from Wanted mode, feeling that i've got to run around like an idiot to find anyone, whereas on Manhunt (easily my preffered mode) I can rack up points (when on defence) purely by staying out of trouble, with some added goodies for escapes and stuns.

Am away from home at the mo for a few days so can't test this, but in wanted is it possible then to win/do well in a round points wise by just hiding, avoiding, escaping etc? Or would one really good kill need to be in their too?

In wanted mode, you'd need to likely kill at least 2-3 people, 1 person if everyone else playing is rather horrible but that isn't the case for the most part.

On average, most matches seem to be in a range of 3000+ to 5000+ points, by that nature most leaders tend to have roughly 3+ kills.

I personally have had scores of 5400~, highest I believe to be 6200~ and usually my kill tally is 4, with more deaths.

However staying hidden, and avoiding pursuers does not yield enough bonus points and so forth to take and hold a lead as I see it.

So killing is needed, however not much killing needs to be done as I pointed out.

While I like Manhunt myself as well, since to me it's more of a fun mode to play, especially if you have a few guys on your team who are goofy with mics, I still enjoy Wanted the most for the fact of it involving more thought and strategy.

Advanced Wanted, I don't bother with much since it's still not much different than Wanted, and it seems to have more roof runners than normal, since you won't be able to know if someone is up or down and so forth, giving them even more benefit to stay up top and run around.

luth411
11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Yesterday, I joined a match about 2.5 minutes into it (7.5 minutes remaining). In the following few minutes, I got spanked pretty hard and was becoming frustrated. But I realized that all the kills on me were worth 100-200 pts. I started to get the hang of my smokebomb/disguise combo and I (no joke) won the match by about 2000 points. I had 0 kills.

It's certainly possible that a person just doesn't like the format of wanted, but I would encourage people to try advanced wanted a bit to get a feel for it. I find that sometimes I'm constantly on the hunt just going after contracts. Other matches I find myself trying to bait or lure my pursuers into a chase where I can outrun them and get huge points for a lure, evade, stun, etc. It's like poker- you play the people across from you, not the cards in your hand.

I had another match where I started off strongly with a couple high quality kills (luck had a bit to do with it too). Soon after, I had 4 people hunting for me. I spent the last half of the match just sticking to the crowds, laying low, and always moving within proximity of at least one other persona matching mine. You wouldn't believe how many people I got the jump on because I saw them approach the area I was in or because they jumped an NPC thinking it was me. When you start evading multiple pursuers at once, you get better chase bonuses. Honestly, at one point I was sitting on a bench watching 3 of the 4 people running in circles trying to pinpoint me with the compass. Hilarious.

My advice for wanted mode is to remember that offense isn't the way to score in this game, it's one of the ways to score. If you find that you're being stalked constantly or that you have multiple pursuers, or you just can't get to your contracts without being spotted or having one stolen, it may be most effective to stick to the shadows, the crowds, the copies of your persona....If you happen to cross paths with your contract, go for it. If you just can't get to them, consider a civilian kill for a new contract or just keep your eyes peeled. Someone is ALWAYS moving towards you on their compass. The hunted becoming the hunter is a very viable strategy and sometimes the only one you can use.

FANIS1993
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
well at start i was running and killing then i got into the game and i learned that being stealthy and kill gives you more points so now i laugh too when someone is trying to kill me and gets only 100 points. and they may not even kill me but stun them throwing a smoke bomb and then stun them.

Rainie
11-22-2010, 02:14 PM
It's definitely better NOT to run around crazy cuz the 100 pt kills are kinda pointless since you end up exposing yourself to your pursuer. Once I entered a match 5 mins in and ended up winning with 3 kills because they were high scoring stealthy kills. Those that run around are just easy targets

berm87
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Quality over quantity, I always say. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cristari
11-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I was expecting this as much but I was wondering why I seen a lot of people running around like headless chickens.

I'm tempted to run around because these guys get loads of kills and I maybe get 1 or 2 per game but as your saying I still end up with good scores.

-EDIT-

Spent a few games infiltrating where everyone but me was running around all I could get was about 200pts and everyone else was on 2 or 3k pts each! WTF!

PPS.
I even had a target attack me after running up behind me when I was hunting his friend! Didn't think you could attack when your a target!

Raisendori
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
i voted for running around
how else am i supposed to get about 5650 point matches?

stealth995
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
yeah i say more power to ya if those 100-150 pt kills make you happy, but when i get killed like that half a second before i get my 950 pt kill....

then i get frustrated.... like they coulda waited for me to kill and earned themselves 300 more points but no.... they just want a good k/d.

berm87
11-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Quite a few people have mentioned how Manhunt is indeed the best mode to play. Having very limited experience with it, I can only say that I have no idea what the appeal is. There was more random chaos and unadulterated roof-running and other ridiculous conduct than what I typically see in Advanced Wanted--or even just Wanted.

obliviondoll
11-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Manhunt, IF (this is a big if) both teams are playing sensibly, is AMAZING.

If they're all idiots, it's hilarious to be the only one scoring points.

It gives you reason to practice stealth and hunting skills independently, and it makes for a great "training ground" of sorts - you can hide without the pressure to hunt, and you can hunt without fear of being hunted.

EDIT:

Originally posted by mpagano411:
My advice for wanted mode is to remember that offense isn't the way to score in this game, it's one of the ways to score. If you find that you're being stalked constantly or that you have multiple pursuers, or you just can't get to your contracts without being spotted or having one stolen, it may be most effective to stick to the shadows, the crowds, the copies of your persona....If you happen to cross paths with your contract, go for it. If you just can't get to them, consider a civilian kill for a new contract or just keep your eyes peeled. Someone is ALWAYS moving towards you on their compass. The hunted becoming the hunter is a very viable strategy and sometimes the only one you can use.
I approve. Awesomely said.