PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party Terrain building for IL2 FB ?

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 01:38 PM
I want to know if it is possible for 3rd party users of "IL2 FB" not involved with the design team to create there own 3d terrain for the game? If so what program can be used to model the 3d terrain? Many players in the cfs2 community prefer the "IL2 FB" game engine but only wish to operate in a virtual pacific theatre. I'm of the opinion that there would be at least a third more IL2 FB players if there were even a small Pacific area map available. Why does the IL2FB team spend so much time working on for example the many variations of the "Folk Wolf" when adding a pacific theatre map into the game would have far greater effect on increasing sales and player interest? I'd say even a small group of islands in the Solomon's would do as a start. The sim community still has no pacific theater game that does not require a monthly subscription to play. "Combat flight simulator two" does not count in my opinion because they left out far too many basic features from the multiplayer portion of the game like being able to drop torpedoes. The CFS2 game didn't even have a single player flyable dive-bomber. My point here is that IL2 FB could easily be the best WW2 Pacific theatre game available if there were even one small map created. Many of the existing "IL2 FB" aircraft like the Brewster could be used and the stuka could substitute for the Val until one is modeled.

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 01:38 PM
I want to know if it is possible for 3rd party users of "IL2 FB" not involved with the design team to create there own 3d terrain for the game? If so what program can be used to model the 3d terrain? Many players in the cfs2 community prefer the "IL2 FB" game engine but only wish to operate in a virtual pacific theatre. I'm of the opinion that there would be at least a third more IL2 FB players if there were even a small Pacific area map available. Why does the IL2FB team spend so much time working on for example the many variations of the "Folk Wolf" when adding a pacific theatre map into the game would have far greater effect on increasing sales and player interest? I'd say even a small group of islands in the Solomon's would do as a start. The sim community still has no pacific theater game that does not require a monthly subscription to play. "Combat flight simulator two" does not count in my opinion because they left out far too many basic features from the multiplayer portion of the game like being able to drop torpedoes. The CFS2 game didn't even have a single player flyable dive-bomber. My point here is that IL2 FB could easily be the best WW2 Pacific theatre game available if there were even one small map created. Many of the existing "IL2 FB" aircraft like the Brewster could be used and the stuka could substitute for the Val until one is modeled.

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Yes and no, I have heard from Oleg that he originally had some 3rd party working on terrain but that they did a poor job and it was buggy, thus he finds it easier to do it with his team, on the other hand Luthier1 (the old head of the original 3rd party community and friend of Maddox) has been working on objects for some new "special" maps, so Oleg may have changed his policy, it doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

I would like to see a minature 30kmx20km manchurian map and a map for the norway campaign and costal patrol thats aboat 10x100km!

__________________________________________________ Il-10

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 12:01 PM
New objects and an area in china seem like a very good idea. I don't quite understand the technical aspect involved as I am much more familiar with the Microsoft flight sims that allow people to use or not use any terrain that they decide to download. Is the game set up to allow only additional terrain that is obtained through an official patch? There are a many good terrain builders for flight sims around so I would hope that at some future time it will be possible for third parties to make their own for IL2FB. How can Oleg's team possibly model all the different areas that players want to operate in without large amounts of help from the ouitside? Would it not be easier to make terrain for a small island group than large areas in a continent since most of the map would be Open Ocean?

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 12:27 PM
I for one would like Pacific area map but would never "complain" to Oleg's team for not making one... this is after all a Russian Front simulation! Ring any bells? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Looking at the job done by the Strike Fighters modellers, I must say that third-party maps is a very good thing!

Cheers,

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 06:46 AM
Kuky where did you ever get that idea? lol

on the FB disk it says:

FORGOTTEN BATTLES WWII 1941-1945

It says nothing about the Eastern Front.

<CENTER>http://invisionfree.com:54/40/30/upload/p837.jpg
<CENTER>><FONT COLOR="blue">Please visit the 310thVF/BS Online at our NEW web site @:
<CENTER><FONT COLOR="orange"> http://members.tripod.com/tophatssquadron/
<CENTER>A proud member Squadron of IL-2 vUSAAF
<CENTER>310th VF/BS Public forum:
<CENTER><FONT COLOR="YELLOW"> http://invisionfree.com/forums/310th_VFBG/
<CENTER><CENTER><FONT COLOR="YELLOW">
Proud Sponsor of IL-2 Hangar Forums
<CENTER> Visit the Hangar at:
http://srm.racesimcentral.com/il2.shtml

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 07:20 AM
No you're wrong, it says, "Discover the war on the Eastern front with the most accurate historical combat flight simulator ever created!"

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 07:23 AM
By the way, I've asked oleg a couple of times to consider some kind of terrain editor, but I don't think he can be bothered because it would be a major piece of work and I'm sure he has other projects to be getting on with.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Yes I agree that the game was first intended to be only an Eastern front game and that there's no reason to complain about Oleg's staff not making new scenery however I was hoping They would at least allow other people to make their own scenery for the game if they wanted. An argument that 3rd party terrain wouldn't be made "good enough" doesn't seem valid since anyone who didn't want to use it could simply decide not to . For example if you go to most any of the larger CFS2 web sites you will find downloadable add on Scenery for anyone who wants to operate in different areas of the world. None of the add on Scenery, that I have seen by the way was created by Microsoft. It seems to me if people could choose where they want to fly over by downloading other scenery it would increase player interest enough to make a difference. I was not complaining about Oleg's team not making Pacific theatre Terrain if that's what your implying. I don't see the point however in making it so that no one else can add their own scenery to the game unless it has been approved of by the Oleg's team. To me That's like saying that anyone who buys a car shouldn't be allowed to put on a different set of tires.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:56 PM
I didn't intend to start a debate on what the game was intended to be by the game maker. What I'm getting at is that it would be better for the players to decide what the game is about themselves. It looks to me like the game maker first decided people would mostly want to fly the Il2 plane and then apparently realized not everyone wanted to do that. Scenery is the same.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:21 PM
I just wish the maps looked better from a high altitude, because they look horrible, thats one thing CFS beats il-2, the fact that high altitude the maps still look great.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:30 PM
avimimus wrote:

- ask anyway.
-
- I would like to see a minature 30kmx20km manchurian
- map and a map for the norway campaign and costal
- patrol thats aboat 10x100km!
-
- __________________________________________________
Bump! more forgotten battles

1st Manchurian

2nd Norwegian

3rd Med

<ceter>http://www.boners.com/content/788832.1.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Well yes the cfs2 scenery does look better at high altitude than that of IL2 FB but in my opinion the Il2 scenery looks best at lower altitude since Microsoft left out too many objects like trees and buildings. The jungle in cfs2 looks more like grassland and the cities just look like splotches. When I looked at actual photos of the airfields that Microsoft has modeled for cfs2 they have little resemblance to the ones that were there durring the war. The 3rd party airfields that I got from Mask rider on the other hand look much more accurate. The water color in IL2 FB looks too gray and polluted to me and I would like to change it. I can't believe the water really looks that ugly in Russia.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 05:35 AM
Personally, I would love to see maps of all the other bits of the Russian Front. Or at least maps which link together, so that the front at the Northern Campaign starts on the borders of Eastern Prussia and the Southern Campaign on the borders of Romania. Something akin to that done in the Experten Campaign. This would be good to complete this simulation of a theatre of war that has often been neglected or glossed over by those in the west. After this, would like early war Europe, Desert or Med, Burma or China. Areas that haven't been done before. Really, anything by this mob will sure to be a hit.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm surprised that people say CFS2 scenery is better. It looks like something out of a comic book to me and shorelines truely stink.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 09:42 AM
well if oleg decided to come out with a 3d mesh terrain editor for addon for $$$, and give us the ability to create new meshes and add in better sounds this would be a much better game and would do well for a longer time. But they probally dont want that

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif

Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter