PDA

View Full Version : Bug List *retail*

Wild_Cat_NL
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
***Reworked post***

I've tweaked and updated my post as well as collected already posted bugs on the forums here and there and added them to this post. (so you might encounter bugs from your own posts, listed here)

Bugs

Gameplay
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Torpedo control, switching from torpedo tub results auto closing of the tube door. This is a pain, specially now I can't find any salvo fire panel settings. Can you select multiple tubes and open them with "Q"?
<LI><STRIKE>Salvo Fire Panel? Multiple tubes firing at the same time?</STRIKE>

By Elanaiba, Source Subsim Forums;
German submarines had "fan-shot" controls and this was replicated in sh3. You selected a group of tubes (from the historically accurate options), the spread of the salvo, and you pressed "fire".

US submarines didn't have this feature, and neither does sh4. Instead, you select an individual tube and apply a so called "spread" to the already established gyro-angle. So you can fire tube 1 straight to Middle of Target, tube 2 with a spread of 2 degrees to the left, tube 3 with 2 degrees to the right. voila salvo control

<LI>Hydrophone/Sonar/Radar Stations.
<STRIKE>In short, only a few things work. For the Hydrophone nothing works, only the AI can control it and the do a very poor job using it.

The digital manual list alot of things we can use/interact with, only a handfull of things for the sonar work, every thing els doesnt seem to work. On top of that, it seems that once you manualy used the Radar station it seems to stop working (the AI no longer uses it) after some time the AI starts using it again, dunno what fixes it.</STRIKE>
Radar, Sonar explained (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107947) Explains alot of things that are not listed in the manual, home/end rotate the hydrophone heads.

<LI>The first air radar you can use in '41 actually picks up ships really nicely. Dunno about that, but somehow I don't think it's supposed to do that.
<LI> ...

[/list]
Graphic & Interface
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>I cant get the speed estimate to work via TDC/Attack screen. According to the manual first left click should bring up a clock (it does) but second left click should enter the speed - it doesn't. Unless I'm confusing something the manual is saying Ii cant get speed estimate to work.
<LI>Imperial measurement and the metric system are used at the same time. Very confusing. Most dials are in imperial readings, but most messages (crew) are in the metric system
<LI>On every page of the ship identification book, the ships are selected already.
<LI><STRIKE>Res still locked at 1024x768?</STRIKE>

Source SH4 Read Me! Included on the DVD;

3.1.2 Modifying Graphic Settings
Note that the effects of modifying some of the Graphic settings can be seen only after you quit the game and start it again.
The following graphic settings require restarting the game:
- Game Resolution
- Windowed Mode
- Texture Quality

Note that the effects of modifying some of the Graphic settings can be seen only after you restart the mission.
The following graphic settings require restarting the mission:
- Ship 3D Damage
- Character Detail

<LI> ...

[/list]
Sound
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Sounds problems: Explosion, bird calls, gun fire, crew calls, ... the some times end up in a loop and just keep on repeating.

Ragtag, Source Subsim Forums;
Looping sounds can be fixed by NOT using "realistic sound travel" option in sound options.
<LI>Speed settings; 1/3 speed, Crew calls it "slow speed". 2/3 speed crew calls it "1/3 speed" 1/3 reverse speed crew cals it "back slow" 2/3 reverse soeed crew calls it "back standard"
<LI> ...

[/list]
Other
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Realisme settings, for the campaign can't select custom settings.
<LI>Mission "Against all odds" Gato Deckgun, zoomed out is messed up. The controls to turn it left & right, up & down are fubar. Once zoomed in, it works correctly.
<LI> ...

[/list]

Please add any other not yet posted bug in her for quick & easy reference. (Will try to update the main post, to keep a good overview) And if you found a solution to a known bug, by all means share it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Thx,
Luviera

bunraku70
03-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I can concur.

Salvo's like SH3 are gone it seems.
You just fire 1 torp after another.
And you can't seem to open multiple tubes.
So you try and do a quick salvo by firing individual tubes.
Open Tube fire.Open Tube Fire'Open Tub.......etc
Unless i'm doing something wrong??

I could'nt get the sonar to work.
I can't listen to or control the hydrophones.
Every button apart from the active ping does nothing.
The manual is poor on the sonar.
Maybe 50 words .
Also i'll be in a friendly harbour in the tutorials and dive to periscope death and ask my sonarman to report contacts and he can't hear anything though outside i see lots of traffic.
In fact he can't hear anything period?
Unless i'm doing something wrong.

I can't get the radar to even turn on apart fron the anti aircraft and deck gun tutorials.
Again the manual is poor on this.

Darias_Kehl
03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
You forgot about the part where the game crashes to desktop each and every time the stadimeter is used.

Crosseye76
03-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by bunraku70:
I can concur.

Salvo's like SH3 are gone it seems.
You just fire 1 torp after another.
And you can't seem to open multiple tubes.
So you try and do a quick salvo by firing individual tubes.
Open Tube fire.Open Tube Fire'Open Tub.......etc
Unless i'm doing something wrong??

US subs did not have a Salvo fire option. That's why there's no control for it. They fired a "Spread". for instance, 1 at the Middle of the Target (MOT) one 2 degrees left and one 2 degrees right. The degrees in the spread depended on the size of the ship, and the range of the shot. You wanted 1 MOT hit, one forward hit and one aft hit. So fewer degree spread for small ships, more for larger ships.

Drebbel
03-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Regarding Sonar/Radar problems it seems to work afterall, although more testing is needed.

For more information checkout the thread "Radar, Sonar explained" over at SubSim.com

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107947

Wild_Cat_NL
03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Thx Crosseye76, didn't knew that about USS subs. I also found similar post on the Subsim Forums with similar information.

Thx alot Drebbel, that link really helped. So much for the manual.

Dragonrr1
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Res still locked at 1024x768?

Source SH4 Read Me! Included on the DVD;

quote:
3.1.2 Modifying Graphic Settings
Note that the effects of modifying some of the Graphic settings can be seen only after you quit the game and start it again.
The following graphic settings require restarting the game:
- Game Resolution
- Windowed Mode
- Texture Quality

Note that the effects of modifying some of the Graphic settings can be seen only after you restart the mission.
The following graphic settings require restarting the mission:
- Ship 3D Damage
- Character Detail

This is still a bug/issue/feature.

It is absolutely true that the game must be restarted following a resolution change. Certainly in my case I must have done at least 30 restarts of the game! I have even tried making the cfg files read only and forcing 1920x1200 in them.. all to no avail.

Mando86
03-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Interface

There is the words "Location name in game" text on the world map below Cadiz in game.

banzai_billy
03-20-2007, 05:06 PM
For the chronometer, it probably works just as in SHIII
you have to wait 10-15 seconds
the WO tracks the distance that the ship moves in the set period of time and then computes the speed
this is only of limited use as you have to be slow, preferably at a 90 AOB, and only sometimes is it reliable
but thats real life... your much better off learning through experience that when your WO tells you contact moving slow it means 4-6 kts. and so on and so forth.

SS.DJSatane
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
There are reports:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/6131048245

That chronometer in SH4 doesn't work at all in manual targeting... We need people who have the game to test this out and confirm. If in fact chronometer is bugged this would be a serious critical bug.

Carotio
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by luviera:
[/LIST]
Sound
[LIST]

<LI>Sounds problems: Explosion, bird calls, gun fire, crew calls, ... the some times end up in a loop and just keep on repeating.

Exactly!
This is really, REALLY annoying!!

EDIT:
Looking through the folder, I have found numerous "left-overs" from SH3? Particular in the Cfg folder! Why?

Immacolata
03-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by luviera:
***Reworked post***
<LI>Torpedo control, switching from torpedo tub results auto closing of the tube door. This is a pain, specially now I can't find any salvo fire panel settings. Can you select multiple tubes and open them with "Q"?
<LI><STRIKE>Salvo Fire Panel? Multiple tubes firing at the same time?</STRIKE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Elanaiba, Source Subsim Forums;
German submarines had "fan-shot" controls and this was replicated in sh3. You selected a group of tubes (from the historically accurate options), the spread of the salvo, and you pressed "fire".

US submarines didn't have this feature, and neither does sh4. Instead, you select an individual tube and apply a so called "spread" to the already established gyro-angle. So you can fire tube 1 straight to Middle of Target, tube 2 with a spread of 2 degrees to the left, tube 3 with 2 degrees to the right. voila salvo control
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That bug is as old as SH3 1.0. GREAT that they still haven't fixed it. If you look up "rushed" in wikipedia it will have Ubi's logo all over the page, Im sure of it.

This also ties together with the missing SPREAD salvo thingy. You cannot open three doors and prepare a fan shot as long as they close when you use the cycle tube keys. Bothersome.

IN SH3 you could get around this problem by selecting a salvo shot, when you opened the doors it would happen for all tubes in the salvo. Bothersome.

You can add to the list that there is no log message for closing doors. That would really help you keeping tabs on which doors you've opened or closed.

kkeller20
03-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Looping sounds can be fixed by NOT using "realistic sound travel" option in sound options.

I do not have this option on and my crew still calls out numbers over and over. If you quit to desktop and reload, the paper thin crew and number calling stops for a while but comes eventually comes back.

My new favorite bug, starting at an enemy base. I choose the other theatre to start in, not pearl, want to say asia. It started me in Millian, Philippians which was fine, did my mission, returned back home, got my new mission. When I started the second mission, the rest of the docks had enemy ships docked there with me. Guess they overlooked me and my crew when they invaded. My mission was to drop off a man in the Philippeans which was pretty nice since I was already there.

When I completed the 2nd set of missions, Milian wasn't a base option so I headed to a base way south and docked. Got my next mission and guess what was in the docks next to me, Japanese ships. Again I started at an enemy base. Got out fairly easy, did my mission, base still showed as ally so I returned.

Started 3rd mission and now the base is loaded with Japanese and they have gun inplacements all over. Took me 5 tries to get out my ship was beat up so I take a very long trip to Midway to dock and they wont let me, just refit. Try Pearl and they also wont let me dock. The base I came from still shows as mine although I'm not going back there. Guess I have to go to Australia.

jonass1
03-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by luviera: Realisme settings, for the campaign can't select custom settings.

To change realism settings in your campaign do like this:

1. Start new campaign at 100% realism (hard?)
2. When game has loaded press ESC and save it
3. Exit to main menu
4. Go out in windows and in to your "My documents\SH4" folder
5. Enter "Saved games" folder and then your saved game's folder (latest added) and finally enter the subfolder in it (UI.. something... sorry not infront of putter right now)
6. Edit the gameplaysettings.cfg (think that was it's name) and alter true to false (or vise versa) for the settings you want to change
7. Save file and return to SH4
8. Load your saved mission
9. Voila!

This way you can change the settings anytime you like during your campaing.

Regards,

Jonas

SDwoody34
03-21-2007, 07:18 AM
I received my copy of the game yesterday. So i got up really early this morning to have a go at it.

What a bummer so far.
After numerous attempts to start a career I have found the following bugs thatreally annoy me.
- Japanese home islands
Ships seem to want to run on land. They collide head back and do the same thing over again.
I came from PH and used 1/4 of fuel. I run fast in shallow water and I used 3/4 of fuel on 100KM.

- Between Midway and Japan
Numerous radar sightings of ships by my SA radar.
After a while they are reported sunken????

- North of Luzon
I've been patrolling the assigned area for 5 days but still incomplete.
Ran into a taskforce. Reported it. Sunk a Kongo Class BS with 3 torps. Is that all it needs?
With the BS sunk and down at 70 meter or feet(unclear what it is). Did anybody say manual http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Well suddunly I'm dead???
No destroyers near me, no depthcharges, nothing just died instantly. No damage either.
Before i met the taskforce i met numerous aircraft. In SH3 I would run deep. In SH4 I shoot them. They fall out of the
sky like the old nintendo duckhunt game.

- Eastern part of Luzon. Mission drop 24 tons of rubbish.
So I do except that the game crashes when I order the stuff to be shipped to land.

- Sinking merchants with torpedoes
I shot one torp, it hit and left a hole about 1/5th the size of the ship. I figured this one must sink, yet it didn't.
Second torp hit, no hole at all? The fact that it didn't sink didn't bother me the fact that has such a huge hole and didn't sink does not seem very realistic.

- South of Luzon
I'm doing nothing just watching the map going by, then within a second I go from loaded with fuel to no more fuel??

Other stuff
- Torpedo reloadtime would be nice to know.
- Is relaoding the deck gun in 5 seconds realistic?
- fps goes from 40 to 120 every second on external view.
- diving to 165 feet or meters kills you. Not at 165 but from there there is no way up again, it just falls down to it's crushing depth.
- I would like to see indicators of safe diving depths on the various submarine models.
- Some technical details on the subs would be welcomed too.
- the 2nd. day after PH got bombed I see a load of aircraft carriers, completely intact and spotless harbour and all the BS there still float, like nothing ever happened.
- Using the spread manually did not work properly. I just leave it MOT. By the time the first torp hits the ship changes course and the others just slam home in front or behind MOT. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif
- Last but not least i expected a bit more of the graphics. I use all the eye candy but somehow i feel like being in a comic book.

Before anybody starts telling me that i shouldn't be negative or seek help from a shrink. I'm not negative. I just really looked forward to this game. Pre-ordered it. And then it turns out to be one huge bug. Bummer.
For the time being I'll stick to SH3 dodging depth charges at 240 meters for 3 hours. Let's hope Ubi clears a lot of the bugs in the coming weeks.

My 2 cents.

SDwoody34
03-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by jonass1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luviera: Realisme settings, for the campaign can't select custom settings.

To change realism settings in your campaign do like this:

1. Start new campaign at 100% realism (hard?)
2. When game has loaded press ESC and save it
3. Exit to main menu
4. Go out in windows and in to your "My documents\SH4" folder
5. Enter "Saved games" folder and then your saved game's folder (latest added) and finally enter the subfolder in it (UI.. something... sorry not infront of putter right now)
6. Edit the gameplaysettings.cfg (think that was it's name) and alter true to false (or vise versa) for the settings you want to change
7. Save file and return to SH4
8. Load your saved mission
9. Voila!

This way you can change the settings anytime you like during your campaing.

Regards,

Jonas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just click options while not on a mission(left hand top book shelve) and you can customise your realistic career.

Celeon999
03-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Ok here is what ive got so far :

1. Yes, explosions loop without end aswell as the bird sounds which do the same from time to time.

2. The sound setup for 5.1 systems has bad volume settings. The crew voices are almost unhearable.

3. Couldnt get the radio to work. Dont know if this is a bug or im just to stupid but i couldnt hear anything from the radio after pressing play and changing frequencies. Radio Washington is absolutely silent.

3. No propblems in the submarine school missions but in the career mode my framerate drops down to under 10 FPS as soon as i move the free cam underneath the surface.

Must be some sort of memory leak as there is less to display as on the surface where my frame rate seems ok.

Celeon999
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Another bug.

Took my boat to 90 meters.

The "waves wash over deck sound" loop continiously although im already submerged.

The boat took damage due to pressure and i did not get any notification. No sounds were played , i just realized that something was wrong as the lights in the conning tower started flickering.

Steam came from some pipes (again no sound)

Then a bit of Water came from one pipe in the control room (no sound)

then suddenly the "You are dead" screen.

Mando86
03-21-2007, 10:51 AM
All I get is one channel on the radio "Washington" it plays one song (go figure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) and the odd announcements from the news guy.

vertex42
03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
i died by crashing into a merchant ship that appeared out of no where...no fog, no fain nothing and bam submarine destroyed...yikes...

started over was run over by a destroyer huge hole in my ship sank to 550 meters bottomed out and just sat there....compressed time died 3 hours later lack of oxygen...

then started new career all crew dies boat still floating and i continue with the mission get back to base an with no crew still get renown....

loud screeching noise when in compressed time and ship sinks....happens again when im depth charged or fired on by cannon....cant figure it out...

always seeing task forces run aground and sink...

why do planes that are downed show up on the map as gray ship sinking's? who cares if i sunk a zero?

started a mission in port diddnt move ended mission because it was late and i got congrats on a marvelous career you become a pioneer of industry and move on...um 2nd mission in 41 and i already retired? interesting...

spawned in siapora or something in Indonesia...port full of Japaneses merchant ships and American battleships or cruisers...all hell breaks lose i die when hit by a friendly broadside..

merchant tanker takes 5 torps wont sink...surface hit it with a deck gun (5 rounds) sinks 1/3 of way....forecastle sticks straight up in the sky doesn't go down ship doesn't split...sits there...24 hrs later still there...i leave area come back still there took a screeny...http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157/redline42/SH4Img20-3-2007_15.jpg

these are some...so far 6 careers 5 deaths and a crash...today looks to be a good day...

silent_killer_8
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157/redline42/SH4Img20-3-2007_15.jpg
Owh man that`s just awful! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Heck I could even see u followed waypoints to it so I believe you.
What a morale sinker!

Myself I am having trouble about even being able to use the tdc, so im glad to see that atleast some people manages to use it (Like in the gameplay video recently in ubi`s latest update.. ?? While everyone else cant get it to work at all?? )

S!

SK

ThornNRazor
03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Is the spotlight on my sub suppose to work or not...That is the question? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I think it's a spot light? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

bunkerratt
03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
ok...this is annoying...in order to play the gramaphone you need music enabled...ok...BUT TURN OFF THE DAM STUPID MOOD MUSIC !...SO WE CAN JUST LISTEN TO THE TRACKS WE PLACE IN THE GRAMAPHONE! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif..i tried to just remove the music file resulting in ctd's...man this is really annoying...

ThornNRazor
03-22-2007, 12:07 AM
You'll have to place null music files in the music folder that don't play music, just the same way we did in SHIII.

Just use windows recorder to create a quiet .wav file and then place that quite .wav file in the music folder for each one of the music files in there now. Make sure to backup your old files first though!

It's a simple as copying the names of the files and pasting them to the "blank/null/quiet" .wav file for each music file. EZ-PZ JAPAN-EZ!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif