PDA

View Full Version : Torque effect and force feedback

gkll
12-12-2004, 11:56 PM
People who have flown planes like Spits and 109s comment quite unfavorably on torque effects. Torque can flip a plane on its back, and generally it took a lot of care at lower speeds to manage the throttle. In PF this is not the case, the torque is mild... however it might well be that BOB is planned with enough detail on the FM side that the torque could be 'full real' at least in terms of strength. To manage this while flying it would be nice to have torque felt as a twisting effect through the stick. It wouldn't be quite 'right' in the sense that it wouldn't be what you would feel... but any extra input from the sim to allow more subtle flying is always first priority for me.

Also I've never heard of FFB rudders, these would also help. The more realistic the FM the better input you need to get the most out of it.

gkll
12-12-2004, 11:56 PM
People who have flown planes like Spits and 109s comment quite unfavorably on torque effects. Torque can flip a plane on its back, and generally it took a lot of care at lower speeds to manage the throttle. In PF this is not the case, the torque is mild... however it might well be that BOB is planned with enough detail on the FM side that the torque could be 'full real' at least in terms of strength. To manage this while flying it would be nice to have torque felt as a twisting effect through the stick. It wouldn't be quite 'right' in the sense that it wouldn't be what you would feel... but any extra input from the sim to allow more subtle flying is always first priority for me.

Also I've never heard of FFB rudders, these would also help. The more realistic the FM the better input you need to get the most out of it.

JG5_UnKle
12-13-2004, 12:48 AM
You would "feel" torque as a rolling moment so that would be fairly easy in ffb (I think - don't use it) the a/c should roll in the opposite direction to prop rotation.

Marek_Steele
12-13-2004, 05:57 AM
One example where torque matters and can make things impossible, not trying to say its correctly modeled!
Pick up a k4, put it in the saratoga, turn on wep, firewall to 110% and release chocks.
As soon as you take off the plane will roll so violently that is very hard to hold him unless you were rolling left before (depending on speeds, 109's either roll to one side or the other, lower right, high speeds left - I guess this has to do with fixed trim tabs). If you don't use wep, this effect will be bearable.