PDA

View Full Version : server for the 'less skilled' but real settings?

Pig_Mac
09-27-2005, 06:04 AM
i've been playing this game on and off since the IL2 release, but i'm still pretty bad at it. are there any servers with pretty much full real that are aimed for people that don't shoot your gas-lid off at 1 km, (while their mate drops a match from 20k feet into your tank) but still use pretty much real settings?

also any servers that uses old mig's? i havn't seen a mig or any old russian semi-**** plane in air for a long time.

i understand that is such a server exists it would be overrun by good players out for a laugh and some easy points. but i'd like to see some anyway.

i also understand that people not as skilled at flying, don't dedicate 100% of their bandwidth to a server where they would spend most of their time paragliding or swimming, but as i said i'd really like to see one without joining a squad. (i break one headset a week falling asleep on them while watching bad movies at night). so getting a new headset again and again ain't an option, nor do i want to talk to people i'm flying with.

(i get it that it adds to the immersion of the game to be able to 'talk' to people realtime rather then typing, but if i'd like to talk to people i'd go to the pub or use the phone)

Pig_Mac
09-27-2005, 06:04 AM
i've been playing this game on and off since the IL2 release, but i'm still pretty bad at it. are there any servers with pretty much full real that are aimed for people that don't shoot your gas-lid off at 1 km, (while their mate drops a match from 20k feet into your tank) but still use pretty much real settings?

also any servers that uses old mig's? i havn't seen a mig or any old russian semi-**** plane in air for a long time.

i understand that is such a server exists it would be overrun by good players out for a laugh and some easy points. but i'd like to see some anyway.

i also understand that people not as skilled at flying, don't dedicate 100% of their bandwidth to a server where they would spend most of their time paragliding or swimming, but as i said i'd really like to see one without joining a squad. (i break one headset a week falling asleep on them while watching bad movies at night). so getting a new headset again and again ain't an option, nor do i want to talk to people i'm flying with.

(i get it that it adds to the immersion of the game to be able to 'talk' to people realtime rather then typing, but if i'd like to talk to people i'd go to the pub or use the phone)

Lord_Rhah
09-27-2005, 09:13 AM
bump

(for full real servers for newb's)

F16_Neo
09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Our server "Wings Of Valhalla" is possibly a rather noob-friendly server despite its 3-strike 5 min deathkick.
The scenarios are mostly rather big, so it's possible to go ground-attack at several locations and have a chance to stay away from enemies.
Other "features" most good:
* On Hyperlobby
* Full switch, only heading visible
* Loaded with groundtargets
* Airwar won't win a map on its own, groundattacks will.
* Scripted, IL2SC
* Web stats
* Slow maprotation (The goal is not to change the map every 15 min)
* Public TS server
* Usually not extremely populated -but fun when it is.
* Small (but growing!) map collection.

See:
http://www.flygflottilj16.se/e107_plugins/custompages/valhalla.php

Pig_Mac
09-27-2005, 10:01 AM
shameless bump of own post, just to hit 100 :P

adding: it would be a pretty good way for squadrons to find new prospects, that don't fall asleep on their headset every night.
how else are we/you going to attract players to higher realism. if we/they get assassined as soon as our wheels are up, and they get laughed at by their own squadron if they get killed by us?

Pig_Mac
09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
F16_Neo

that sounds pretty good. a mate of mine, not necessarily better, but more dedicated to flying (like doing a flight from sweden to alaska, with the toilet lights on at the right times), we're talking about joining you a while ago.

i'll put my meat up in the air for you to fire upon some day soon.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/xallo/xallo.gif

SithSpeeder
09-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Chicken or the egg.

Well, I would say getting mates to fly with is the most important thing. Not only can you at least try to stick together, but you can share what works and doesn't work. It doesn't HAVE to be a squad, and you don't HAVE to use comms, but both increase the speed of the learning curve. Don't be shy about asking for help from the best.

Although some "virtual aces" might not respond or even be rude enough to tell you to bugger off, many others will readily share their experience and expertise with you.

I don't get this whole "falling asleep and breaking my headset thing", though. Or going to the pub or using the phone if you want to talk. OK then, call a buddy up who flies and use your phone. The point is, being a lone ranger on a full real server...well, it'll getcha killed quick.

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

alert_1
09-28-2005, 04:19 AM
AH_Dedicated, open server (Everyone wellcome!) on Hyperlobby. Full switch - short icons, maps with nav icon, scripted with scenario for both sides, good mix of maps (eastern front, ETO, PTO)