PDA

View Full Version : How do we know the world is actually in danger?

bsmith239
11-22-2010, 08:03 PM
I may be forgetting something but it seems like the only reason we think the world is going to end comes from a hologram with which its creators could have an ulterior motive. I mean isn't it entirely possible that the end of the world is just a red herring to get Desmond to sire a new "god" who can control humanity?

If the world was ending in 2012 there would be signs other than what some ancient species of man says. The sun would be doing weird stuff that scientists on earth would notice years before hand.

In other words, our world just can't end one day (save nuclear holocaust). It would be a gradual thing that happens over a period of months, years, decades or millennia. Even in the event of a biblical solar flare, which also is not even probable for a star like ours, we would know years in advance.

I think Desmond is being set up to sire the true end of the world, not a savior.

Why are we to believe Those That Come Before?

psRuggR
11-22-2010, 08:09 PM
...yeah, I know it is kind of funny what I'm about to say, being that I'm saying it on a forum for a video game, but...this may be a bit too nerdy.

Don't get me wrong, I like your thinking about an alternative motive, but in a video game such as this one...science doesn't have to be followed to the T. That's the point of most video games/ movies, to get away from reality.

bsmith239
11-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by psRuggR:
...yeah, I know it is kind of funny what I'm about to say, being that I'm saying it on a forum for a video game, but...this may be a bit too nerdy.

Don't get me wrong, I like your thinking about an alternative motive, but in a video game such as this one...science doesn't have to be followed to the T. That's the point of most video games/ movies, to get away from reality.

Ohh I realize its a game and that games need suspension of disbelief but I would still like the narrative to be tied up nicely.

I mean, would you believe a recording of some supposedly ancient race without question? In a book this would be addressed and a movie probably as well. Video games are a grown up form of media now so I think that plot holes should be frowned upon.

All Ubi would need to do is have a newspaper laying around that Desmond can pick up and read "NASA Says Sun Acting Weird". That brings more narrative backing and weight to what Minerva/Juno says.

psRuggR
11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I get what you're saying and like much of it. I guess I was expecting more plot holes since there is one more game to be made.

As well, who is to say that the Apple isn't a true to God dooms day device? No warning, but the Apple is taken somewhere and combined with something else that would or could destroy the world.

I'm also very interested in seeing who this "sixth" is.

Also, I guess lack of some plot answers didn't really bother me since the game I completed before this was Star Wars: the Forced Unleased 2...I unleased the truth on 10/26/10 and the truth sucked for the most part. But that's my rant.

I'm looking forward to the third game and hope these games will eventually hit the big screen.

Ultimate_Night
11-22-2010, 08:29 PM
IIRC, the occurrences will be a solar flare, a magnetic reversal, and a mind control satellite launched by Abstergo.

bsmith239
11-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by psRuggR:
I get what you're saying and like much of it. I guess I was expecting more plot holes since there is one more game to be made.

As well, who is to say that the Apple isn't a true to God dooms day device? No warning, but the Apple is taken somewhere and combined with something else that would or could destroy the world.

I'm also very interested in seeing who this "sixth" is.

Also, I guess lack of some plot answers didn't really bother me since the game I completed before this was Star Wars: the Forced Unleased 2...I unleased the truth on 10/26/10 and the truth sucked for the most part. But that's my rant.

I'm looking forward to the third game and hope these games will eventually hit the big screen.

The "sixth" is not a person but a reference to the sixth sense.

"awaken the sixth"

The decedent of eve is a person though.

nightpriestess
11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by bsmith239:
I may be forgetting something but it seems like the only reason we think the world is going to end comes from a hologram with which its creators could have an ulterior motive. I mean isn't it entirely possible that the end of the world is just a red herring to get Desmond to sire a new "god" who can control humanity?

If the world was ending in 2012 there would be signs other than what some ancient species of man says. The sun would be doing weird stuff that scientists on earth would notice years before hand.

In other words, our world just can't end one day (save nuclear holocaust). It would be a gradual thing that happens over a period of months, years, decades or millennia. Even in the event of a biblical solar flare, which also is not even probable for a star like ours, we would know years in advance.

I think Desmond is being set up to sire the true end of the world, not a savior.

Why are we to believe Those That Come Before?

I've actually wondered about that too, I wouldn't be surprised if the ancient aliens really were bad guys and wanted to wipe out humanity out of malice.

ninja_7_7
11-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Didnt the big bang just happen. Why cant a solar flare?

obliviondoll
11-22-2010, 11:43 PM
They can predict a lot of events which happen within the sun, but solar flares, while usually predictable, are sometimes surprise events to the scientists who research them. More powerful solar flares are harder to see coming, and we get less warning of them, so one powerful enough to represent a planetary threat would by necessity give us little to no warning.

todor1990
11-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Well i was skeptical from the start.Why would these Gods want to save the creatures that they created to be slaves? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif