PDA

View Full Version : Laying my sub on bottom of the ocean - always taking damage

DrReaper
04-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok I was attacked by five destroyers. I would like to settle my Sub on the bottom of the ocean without having to drive it into the ocean floor. I always take some damage driving it into the ocean floor no matter how slow I do it.
I am not sure how realistic this part is... Wasn't it possible to pump ocean water into a ballast tank and let the sub just settle on the ocean floor?

DrReaper
04-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok I was attacked by five destroyers. I would like to settle my Sub on the bottom of the ocean without having to drive it into the ocean floor. I always take some damage driving it into the ocean floor no matter how slow I do it.
I am not sure how realistic this part is... Wasn't it possible to pump ocean water into a ballast tank and let the sub just settle on the ocean floor?

alanschu
04-10-2005, 11:22 AM
If you do it slowly, you should only take minor damage....which would probably make sense IMO. You'd have to do it juuuust perfectly to just rest your hull on the ocean floor I imagine.

Johnny_JG2
04-10-2005, 11:29 AM
You have to be completely, 100% stopped, in order to settle on the floor without scraping. Even when the speed indicator says 0knots, you could still be going 1/2knot or so. The damage is minor, though, and you will eventually come to a stop once you touch the floor.

Try and come to a complete stop a few meters above the floor, then just order a dive. The sub will flood some water and slowly drop straight down.

DrReaper
04-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Well I have tried several times and I always do it with engines at stop. The damage and the hitting the ocean floor cause noise. Then you have to remove silent running to fix the damage. That causes more noise. I may be wrong about the ballast tanks but I don't think I am...

DrReaper
04-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the reply Johnny_JG2 I will try that right now.

Johnny_JG2
04-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing- make sure the water you are in is deep enough to not affect your sub while sitting on the bottom.

The sub is affected by waves, all the way down to 50M or more. Depending on the size of the waves, your sub may rock slightly all the way past 100M in depth. Even it is slight, it can make some noise- and of course if it rocks too much it'll damage the sub.

DrReaper
04-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Works like a charm. Man I bet this helps when I get the schnorkel.

Frederf220
04-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I have set my sub on the bottom w/o damage before.

reumatiib
04-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I never take damage doing that. Likely your sub is still moving too fast either backward or forward.

DrReaper
04-10-2005, 01:33 PM
I didn't know about the dive order at a full stop until toady. I have tested it and it works.

Unikhorne
04-10-2005, 05:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrReaper:
Works like a charm. Man I bet this helps when I get the schnorkel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet it won't. Not unless you're in realy shallow waters.

BlueHawk_1
04-10-2005, 07:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrReaper:
I am not sure how realistic this part is... Wasn't it possible to pump ocean water into a ballast tank and let the sub just settle on the ocean floor? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>i do't know why you would want to, hitting the ocean floor is like dropping a frickin piano to sonar, and your even more of a sitting duck and it's like holding up a sign saying: "free shots here!"