PDA

View Full Version : About to get a 6600gt.

Cereal01killer0
12-27-2004, 08:34 PM
i have a p4 2.4 1 gig ram 9600pro right now , what kind of a boost in fps will i get with the new card? also what should i put into my conf settings , water , forest stuff like that

Cereal01killer0
12-27-2004, 08:34 PM
i have a p4 2.4 1 gig ram 9600pro right now , what kind of a boost in fps will i get with the new card? also what should i put into my conf settings , water , forest stuff like that

madgett
12-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Go for the 6800GT from leadtek...if you're gonna get a new video card might as well get a good one. I run everything on the highest setting, and leadtek allows major overclocking abilities with their 6800gt version so I'm getting the same frame rates as a stock 6800 ultra (i can even go past, but just choose not to lol).

I even run it will 3dgunners on and the water on 3 looks so sweet I was actually forgetting that I dropped $400...lol. No jitters, high settings...really worth it in my opinion. Plus if you like other high res games like far cry and doom3 this card really carries over the positive performance. I say check into the 6800gt from leadtek.

Cereal01killer0
12-27-2004, 08:52 PM
i allready orderd a 6600gt from Leadtek few days ago , should be getting the card tomorrow , and i dont have 400$ to drop on a new video card. i was going to get a 6000 but it's too late now , i allready orderd.

Schmouddle-WT
12-28-2004, 12:46 AM
I bought MSI 6600GT AGP for 225 EUR day before Christmas and I deeply regret it, the cr@p is unbelievably unstable in 3D, the rig freezes almost instantly when the card is under load. Partly problem of overheating of the PCIe -> AGP bridge, partly unknown reason. After underclocking lasts a little bit longer, freeze is inevitable.

Will claim it tommorrow, hope will get better one. Anyway, for at least 14 days back to my Radeon.

Merry Christmas, MSI http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-28-2004, 02:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schmouddle-WT:
I bought MSI 6600GT AGP for 225 EUR day before Christmas and I deeply regret it, the cr@p is unbelievably unstable in 3D, the rig freezes almost instantly when the card is under load. Partly problem of overheating of the PCIe -&gt; AGP bridge, partly unknown reason. After underclocking lasts a little bit longer, freeze is inevitable.

Will claim it tommorrow, hope will get better one. Anyway, for at least 14 days back to my Radeon.

Merry Christmas, MSI http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What for power supply you got? This sounds like a voltage or possibly a memory issue to me.

Schmouddle-WT
12-28-2004, 04:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
What for power supply you got? This sounds like a voltage or possibly a memory issue to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My rig specs:
AMD AthlonXP 2500+, MSI KT800 Mainboard, 1 Gbyte Ram Dual Channel, that f**ed 6600GT,SBLive5.1,2x SATA HDD, 400W power supply, all running on WinXP.
The behaviour is exactly the same with 300W supply - insufficient power supply is not the issue.
Previous configuration with R9600Pro was solid.

The passive cooler of the PCIe-&gt;AGP bridge gets so **** hot under load, you cannot touch it. Putting secondary fan on it improves the stability a little bit. However, it always ends up in a freezed rig.

Everything seems to the card is not in good shape, will try it in other computer today to avoid confusion with possible main memory issue.

Thanks anyway.

malkuth
12-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Schmouddle what you need to do is check your bios, and or your Windows CPU Heat monitoring program to see what kind of voltage you PSU is getting. If its dropping under 12V Significantly or is not very Stable then it is a PSU problem.

Just cause you have a 400 Watt PSU doesnt mean its a good one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You do seem to have alot of stuff running off it. You didnt mention you CD drives but I bet you have at least 2 of them.

So thats
2 CD Rom Drives
1 SATA drive (power hungry)
SBLIVE
Network card or modem
Duel Ram
A Drive
And Whatever fans you might have running At least 2 right?
If you have anything overclocked this sucks up power too.

PS you don't test If its the PSU with a Lower Wattage PSU . LOL. Check your wattage.

Rudi_JG1
12-28-2004, 05:59 AM
I have a XFX 6600GT 128MB AGP card and have had no problems with it. One issue I did have at first: the card did NOT like the TURBO setting in my mobo's BIOS (I have a MSI AMD64 mobo with a VIA chipset). When I changed that setting from TURBO to FAST, I've had no problems and have enjoyed good performance.

Schmouddle-WT
12-28-2004, 06:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PS you don't test If its the PSU with a Lower Wattage PSU . LOL. Check your wattage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tested the rig with lower wattage PSU intentionally -&gt; just to see how the voltage drops. It did not at all, the same with 400W PSU.

IMHO PSU is not the issue.

The PSU is actually licensed Fortron , so I do not worry about a quality of the PSU.

Thanks for your advices guys.

Cereal01killer0
12-28-2004, 11:24 AM
this is a known issue with the 6600gt's , it's a gamble either you get a working card or it's broken. go to guru3d.com msg boards or nforce boards there are a lot of threads about simular problems. it has nothing to do with the psu