PDA

View Full Version : Strategic defense points

GroundFeeder
10-26-2010, 05:13 AM
HOMM 6 should include the following:

1. Pallisade fortification (various improvised forms)
2. Army encampment (basically a collection of a few tents, campfire and some makeshift spikes/ pallisade)
3. Ruin fortress (decayed and crumbling ruin turned into makeshift fort)

All these are fixed strategic defense points, both defendable and conquerable by all. These things, unless you own them, block mountain passess, river crossings and access paths. The attacker is at a disadvantage, the defender at an advantage. This allows you to conquer and control large areas, at the same token if you lose them, it will be hard fought to get them back again. It just adds more gameplay time to the game, increases strategic depth and options. This is how war is fought, especially with hand weapons.

EBugle
10-26-2010, 10:54 AM
forts are confirmed in game, actually, so you're preaching to the choir here =P Control of a fort means control of the surrounding area, which basically means mines. All flagged mines in the area are yours, unless an enemy hero is sitting in them.

I would also be rather surprised if garrisons didn't return (as they've been a standard since IV), which basically do exactly what you wanted forts to do anyway.

Also, not to be rude, but was it really necessary to make all these things separate threads? It just feels rather spammy. And ugh, don't go "this is how war was fought," that just weakens your argument, honestly. Heroes is SO far removed from how war is normally fought, that it's not even trying to be realistic in that regard. It sacrifices a lot of realism for gameplay, and I mean a LOT, so I really don't know why you're trying to make it more realistic... especially when the fixes your proposing already exist...

GoranXII
10-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Well the army encampment I can go along with, but as EBugle said, the rest of it is pretty much in already.

Sarshazar
10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Personnaly, I think H5 did the garrissons pretty well and as the others said, the majority of the things you said are already in other heroes games...