PDA

View Full Version : Water Graphics - a flaw. Developers, will this be addressed?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2004, 06:17 AM
I've noticed a flaw in the otherwise great graphics in this game: it's the water as it goes by the boats and ships in the game. There's an area of churned-up water around each vessel which is unrealistic (you can see it clearly in the latest screenshots of the Type VII). I'm not sure if the problem is that the water is too white, or that the line needs to be fuzzier, or that the water needs to be a bit more transparent around the boat, or a combination of all those things, but something just doesn't look right. In all other aspects, the graphics look great.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I know what it mostly is: it's the churned-up (white) water. What is churning it up so much? The bow wave soon dissipates as it passes along the sides of a boat. There should be white water behind a boat where the engines churn up the water, but as you're viewing the water as it passes amidships it should be blue, not white. This is a graphical flaw with all ship-based games at this point. I wish they would fix it. You need a bow wave and churned-up water at the stern. It shouldn't be difficult to model. What we have now is a simplification where the entire boat churns up the water. This should happen when surfacing, but not when a boat is just moving along in the water.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2004, 06:17 AM
I've noticed a flaw in the otherwise great graphics in this game: it's the water as it goes by the boats and ships in the game. There's an area of churned-up water around each vessel which is unrealistic (you can see it clearly in the latest screenshots of the Type VII). I'm not sure if the problem is that the water is too white, or that the line needs to be fuzzier, or that the water needs to be a bit more transparent around the boat, or a combination of all those things, but something just doesn't look right. In all other aspects, the graphics look great.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I know what it mostly is: it's the churned-up (white) water. What is churning it up so much? The bow wave soon dissipates as it passes along the sides of a boat. There should be white water behind a boat where the engines churn up the water, but as you're viewing the water as it passes amidships it should be blue, not white. This is a graphical flaw with all ship-based games at this point. I wish they would fix it. You need a bow wave and churned-up water at the stern. It shouldn't be difficult to model. What we have now is a simplification where the entire boat churns up the water. This should happen when surfacing, but not when a boat is just moving along in the water.

Gerd_Schopfel
11-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Good point Beeryus. Hopefully this phenomena will be addressed!

Like he said, there is too much white foam coverage on both sides of the ships.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Take a look

radsov
11-09-2004, 07:44 AM
It's been mentioned before, and I agree something just doesn't look right. The upcoming PT boats seems to model this better

chaserjock
11-09-2004, 09:55 AM
I recon the Dev's have a lot more to worry about than this, no official word or additions
to the daily questions for a while now........
......no news from Ubirazz...........
maybe the've found a major bug.............

Erich Hartmann
11-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Please, dont say that, it could turn into reallity http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif.

I had already mentioned this before in another thread, but nobody said anything. And yes,
theres something that just doesent look right with the water edge. I also hope this will be fixed, cause its a major inconvinience to grafics cuality.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2004, 05:48 PM
I've been studying the screenshots and the videos more, and I've found out some interesting things:

In picture 12 on the screenshots page you can see a U-Boat at rest. In that shot the sides of the boat have normal (blue-green) water right next to the boat. This looks much better (more natural) than the white water - even if the boat was moving this would look more realistic.

I also noticed that there are 3 graphics for white water around the boat. First is the bow wave: this is a 3D effect (it rises up out of the water) and looks fine as it is. Second is the engine wake, which is also a 3D effect (it churns water up above the waterline). Third is the boat's (or ship's) wake: this is the one causing the problem. In my opinion this graphic should begin at the engines, and not at the bow wave. If this graphic was set back at the engines it would allow the boat to move through blue water amidships and show a white wake at the rear of the ship. I think if this could be easily adjusted it would solve the problem.

One issue that may be problematical is when the boat submerges or surfaces, or when heavy seas break over the ship. In these cases white water is needed. Maybe this is why the white water is always shown around the boat. However, I don't think it would take many extra resources to give these instances their own white water graphic. Actually I'm pretty sure they already exist, since surfacing and submerging clearly have different effects than the normal white wake effect.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Come to think of it, I'll bet whoever designed the wake effects meant the general ship's wake to start at the engines, but then whoever added the effect to the ships put it in at the wrong place (at the bow rather than at the stern) and no one (except us) ever noticed.

I bet it's a simple fix.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I've been looking at more screenshots and it seems that at some point they toyed with lessening this white water effect. Some shots (29, 30, 32, 39) have the boat moving and there's no white surround to the ship. This looks good. Also, some (36, 37) have a very subdued white (grey) wake coming out from the 3D bow wake graphic. This also looks good, but it probably needs to be even more subdued.

Capt.LoneRanger
11-10-2004, 03:03 AM
There are different effects and bow-waves shown in the screenies. IMHO, they depend on the version, but also on graphics settings and of course the speed of the ship! I doubt all these ships are shown at the same speed at the same sea under the same conditions at the same time.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-10-2004, 05:48 AM
Yes. It's clear that the speed of the ship can be a factor. Hard to tell whether version or speed of ship is the factor in static screenshots though. I'm not convinced that anything has been changed through the various versions because I'm beginning to think that the differences we're seeing all amount to a difference in ship speed, in which case I think the subtle graphic for the lower speeds should be used for high speeds, with lower speeds having even more subtle white water effect.

I wonder if the developers are taking note of this thread? Should we post to the questions thread, or email them on this issue? I think it's an important one, since it will help the immersion factor greatly if it's fixed. All the other graphics look amazing.

E.Thang
11-10-2004, 07:47 AM
I agree with you guys, the graphics look great except for the waterline and the smoke from ship stacks and explosions. Depending on the type of ship, when it's burning it should be a very thick black smoke. I agree that the upcoming PT Boats does a much better job along the waterline. When is that thing gonna be released anyway?