PDA

View Full Version : Beginers Guide to Forgotten Battles

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

Look, I've just bought this game, after reading rave reviews. I'm not experienced in flight simulators but thought I'd give it a go.

It's just so hard. I start th campaign at the beginning, flying some bi-plane. I chase a speck in the distance for 15 minutes & then get shot down.

I have most settings on, only turning off engine management. I can fly ok, well, ok for a beginner, it's just that I find it all very unrewarding.

Can anyone give me some tips or point me in the direction of a good guide? I'd be really grateful as I want to get into this game.

Thanks for your help,

Ape

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

Look, I've just bought this game, after reading rave reviews. I'm not experienced in flight simulators but thought I'd give it a go.

It's just so hard. I start th campaign at the beginning, flying some bi-plane. I chase a speck in the distance for 15 minutes & then get shot down.

I have most settings on, only turning off engine management. I can fly ok, well, ok for a beginner, it's just that I find it all very unrewarding.

Can anyone give me some tips or point me in the direction of a good guide? I'd be really grateful as I want to get into this game.

Thanks for your help,

Ape

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Start practising with quick missions .And maybe try the experten campaing from www.Mudmovers.com (http://www.Mudmovers.com) its very good and NOT insanely difficult .

Watch some movies like Mephis Belle & Battle of britain to get right feeling /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Go online: Hyberlobby or Ubi.com

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 11:58 AM
well.. im unsure how to answer you.. its obvious that you dont know any thing about this sim........ this is not your regular sim... we tend to be serious as this sim is serious to a lot of ppl this is a area that most ppl are not comfortabe with.. if you think this is like some fps game youll most likly not be happy but if you have disipline............ and do not think your planes will fly like a tie fighter and have a understandining of the easteren front and want to know planes as best as is knowm at present are flown then come here you will be welome ...but if you expect star wars type flying pl;ese be gone.........but if not we will help you

http://mudmovers.com/Sims/IL2/images/wallpaper/me262sharkt.jpg
U.S. infantry 84-91

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 12:04 PM
to re -reply to fly here you must practice practice practice there is no other way.. there is no shortcuts ,fly fly fly ..learn your aircraft and fly some more...............

U.S. infantry 84-91

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm no expert either. I have fun flying quick missions and single missions and have only just started a career. As a beginner you could probably have a fair amount of fun setting up quick missions where you're in a fighter versus a lot of slow moving bombers. Easy to attack and gives you some flight and gunnery experience. Then move on to easier fighters and work your way up. Less frustration getting shot down in quick missions than if you fly for 15 minutes to your target in career mode and then get shot down!

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Tenmmike,

I am a FPS fan, but wanted to try something different, something I can really get into. I left most of the realism settings on as I don't want to 'cheat'. I want to learn how to fly the planes using skill. I have nothing but respect for the game & what it represents. I'm no expert on the eastern front but credit myself for being quite knowlegable on WWII in general. I come to this b-board to learn. I want to know the approach angles to attacking certain aircraft, to make the most of blind spots & 'weaknesses'. I want to learn how to use my engine so it's not constantly overheating. I want to learn how to fly different planes, take off & land without crashing. You can be assured of my sincerity. I do have a wife & 2 kids though so can only practice so much.

Nikodemus & Docjonal,

I think you have pointed out my main problem. I went straight into a campaign when I really should fly some quick missions & learn the basics. This is where I will now start. Thankyou for your help

To you all,

4 posts in less than an hour. Now that's good support. Thanks for your help & I look forward to joining this community.

Ape

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 01:03 PM
you are welcome sir !!!!! this board will help you please review our boards .. you will find a a lot of help here ... please sir contue with any thing you want. also know you have caught us i n the middle of a change just hange tight ........... S !

U.S. infantry 84-91

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 01:31 PM
BigApeLikeThing wrote:
- Hi all,
-
- Look, I've just bought this game, after reading rave
- reviews. I'm not experienced in flight simulators
- but thought I'd give it a go.
-
- It's just so hard. I start th campaign at the
- beginning, flying some bi-plane. I chase a speck in
- the distance for 15 minutes & then get shot down.
-
- I have most settings on, only turning off engine
- management. I can fly ok, well, ok for a beginner,
- it's just that I find it all very unrewarding.
-
- Can anyone give me some tips or point me in the
- direction of a good guide? I'd be really grateful as
- I want to get into this game.
-
- Thanks for your help,
-
- Ape
-
-

http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ren12.jpg

The game is tough on the first time virtual flyer for sure. The best advice I was given when I first bought Il2 was to pick one plane I was comfortable with and to practice in the QMB (quick mission builder).

Once you learn the limits of your chosen plane you can become free to concentrate on tying gun convergence and deflection shooting together. The more accurate you become the better you will do online and off.

That said I did only fly Il-2 variants (the field mod and IL-T) for the first few months because I was taking a real pounding in fighters at the beginning because my accuracy was just plain awfull.

Welcome btw and I have a wife and kids too though my oldest lives in her own apartment now/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg <CENTER><Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:11pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">"Landing to avoid combat is akin to slicing off yer face to avoid a few punches, dummy."
<Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:9pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">SmokeJaguar: an online battle somewhere over the Kuban </div></center>

Message Edited on 08/30/0301:37PM by SmokeJaguar

michapma
08-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Hello you BigApeLikeThing,

Welcome to the world of flight simulation. You can chase things in a biplane for a lot longer than 15 minutes, they were very outmoded even by the beginning of WWII and are the slowest planes around, although they are of course amazingly maneuverable. Usually in the campaigns you will find action in each mission, but to be sure you ought to follow your waypoints until you have a better feeling for how things go. Use the visual aids to help yourself learn, they are there for a reason and very helpful at first. After you know more about flying and fighting and need a bigger challenge you will want to start turning them off. I recommend starting with minimap icons, map icons, icons and padlock turned on. You will be able to see your waypoints, and where friendly and enemy planes are. However, try just to use them to learn how things work, and not as a crutch.

If you are quite serious about getting into the sim, think of joining an online squadron. Be careful, you are already dangerously close to being sucked away from FPS forever. /i/smilies/16x16_robot-wink.gif

If you follow the first link in my sig you will find a website with a guide in it. It's incomplete, but there should be plenty of information in it to help you. It's written for IL-2, but most of it is applicable to FB.

Cheers,
Mike

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="10"><tr valign="middle" bgcolor="#3e463b"><td height="40" colspan="3" align="center">The ongoing IL-2 User's Guide project (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/)</a></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#515e2f"><td width="40%">FB engine management:
Manifold Pressure sucks (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182081-1.html)
Those Marvelous Props (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182082-1.html)
Mixture Magic (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182084-1.html)
Putting It All Together (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182085-1.html)
Those Fire-Breathing Turbos (Part 1 of 6) (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182102-1.html)</td><td align="center">

‚ =69.GIAP=Chap‚

69.GIAP (http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/giap/)</p></td><td width="40%" align="right" valign="top">Hardware:
Flight Simulation Performance Analyzed (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_062a.html)
Building a home-made throttle quadrant step by step (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=zkavv)
Sound Can Be Hazardous for Games (http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html)</td></tr></table>

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't pay much attention to any guide - there is no substitute for trial and error. Pilots do not become good pilots by reading how to fly. Guides may be a good read and you may learn a little but they will not help to fly when you're sat in the plane. The only way to learn quickly is to take up the challenge ... even if you do get shot down lots of time.

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 04:23 PM
- If you don't have the 1.1B patch yet, get it. It makes the campaign a lot more fun, and actually not impossible.

- Go easy on the joystick. You rarely need to yank it to it's limits in FB, smoother motion will result in smoother flight.

- You are allowed to use icons. It's not that unrealistic. I turn off all the realism settings that annoy me, so I fly full realism but with Icons, Padlock and External views. I don't think squinting at tiny grey dots adds much to the game. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

- Good planes to start with are the Yak family, the Il2, and the 109F2 & F4. I spent most of my time early on flying the Il2, since it's easy to fly, and you can practice gunnery on those convoys of trucks & tanks in the quick mission builder.

- Learn the strengths of each plane. It tells you in the "view objects" menu. The I153, which would have been your Biplane, has superb manoeuvrability & strong guns (in the P version), but is dominated in speed by pretty much every plane in the game.

- You win fights easier if you have more altitude. If you are above your opponent, you have the initiative. When you can, climb, and you can convert that altitude back into speed when you need it.

- Read the sections on gunnery in the manual, that's about it. Practice lots.

- In the average campaign mission, you are doing well to shoot down one plane. If you can get two, three or more, you're doing very well, and you'll probably get a medal. Some planes early on in the campaign, including the Yak 1/1B/7, the Mig3 and the 109F2 have weak guns, and you won't get as many planes on a mission with these.

- In the Sturmovik campaign, you'll get to zap a lot more targets. The Il2 has a lot more ammo & very powerful guns, plus rockets & bombs, and your targets will be plentiful. Plus, you can feel the satisfaction of making it back to base with a 40cm wide shell hole you can see the ground through in your wing! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 04:57 PM
Salute

I would suggest you join a Squadron.

That way you can get advice as to how to best configure your computer, your joystick, etc. This type of basic setup is crucial to properly enjoying the game.

You will also get the opportunity to fly online with others, which is the most interesting aspect of the game.

Many Squadrons also create their own missions, or know how to use other than the standard Campaign Generator to create missions.

All of this advice etc. becomes available when you are a member of a Squad.

For example, in the Game's Campaign, if you are interested in flying as a Soviet, I would suggest you pick a start time when you begin by flying a P-39n. This is a good plane, and will give you the ability to survive and advance your career.

If you are interested in flying a German career, then I would suggest beginning in a 109F4.

If you would like to join a Squadron, and are interested in a good Allied Squadron, check out RAF74.

We have been in existence for 7 years and have members from Australia, Britain, Canada and the United States.

Our Homepage is here:

http://www.aircombat.ca/RAF74/index.htm

Don't give up on Flight Sims. They are far more rewarding and challenging in the end than any FPS.

Cheers RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Well, overwhelmed with the kind replies, thanks all.

Thanks for the link to your squadron website. I've had a look but will have to read the rules before joining. Got to make sure I can give the time commitment probably required.

The thought of flying in a squadron, online, is quite exciting and is obviously the way to go. Just give me a few weeks to practice.

So, I will choose a plane to stick with for a while, probably one of the IL2 variants (any suggestions?) and try & improve my flying skills in the QMB.

Thanks again for the help, but don't be too kind or one day you may find me on your tail!!!!

Ape

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 12:14 AM
I feel another way to really get a 'rewarding gaming experience' out of this sim is to study the history behind it. Choose an aircraft, or a 'campaign', or a historic pilot; then read all you are able to about this subject (some examples, the Stalingrad Campaign, or the Bf109, or Alexandre Pokryshkin). You will find that this game is a reasonable approximation of real history, and if you have a specific knowledge of events (or details, or technical terms) you will find correlations while playing the game. It really gives a 'Wow, so this is what it must have been like', of course it only scratchs the surface of real life (it is just a game after all), but the experience is very enlightening.

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 12:21 AM
well, the ONLY thing you can do is practice.
I heard that along time ago, as a joke, but is quite real: You start with a bag full of luck, and one empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you ran outta luck.
Simplier that daylight isn't it?

<center>"The show must go on..."<center>
<center>http://www.hobby.ro/roarmy/aviatia/greceanu%20tudor/1.jpg
A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great'
landing is one after which they can use the plane again<center>

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 12:22 AM
find the planes you like and use mission builder,the best way to learn

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Try flying Bf109F or G variant. Does everything well, nothing badly. Good choice of weapon loadout. Use wide FOV to use the excellent instrument panel to learn management of airspeed and altitude. Welcome once again, Ape.

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Great,thanks again everyone

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 12:36 PM
BigApeLikeThing wrote:
- Great,thanks again everyone
-
-

Your welcome/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/targeting.jpg <CENTER><Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:11pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">"Where'd he go?"
<Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:8pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">Famous last words </div></center>

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 01:23 PM
BigApeLikeThing wrote:
- I want to know the approach angles to attacking
- certain aircraft, to make the most of blind spots &
- 'weaknesses'

I haven't gotten around to FB yet, and my experiences are from IL2, but I do think I can provide you with a few pointers on smacking down two of the more dangerous planes; the IL2 and the sweat-inducing Pe-8.

As for engaging an IL2, the formular is actually quite simple: Once you spot one, get some altitude, and get in behind and above, while staying out of the range of that evil rear gun. Check the skies for enemy fighters, and then proceed to trade your altitude for a nice shallow curve down *below* and behind the IL2. The trick is now to have a good deal of speed to trade off for a sharp climb up towards the IL2's underside, and put your bullets (or shells, or whatever) into the "Sturmo's" oil radiator; it's that square box between the wings. Of course, a bit of practice is required to do this effectively (and try not to get caught by the rear gun as you climb above the IL2), but I found that this trick gets the better of any IL2. A good IL2-pilot will probably try to bank and turn hard, to cover his underside, and give his rear gunner a clear shot, so be prepared to respond accordingly (that is; just follow his moves and stay on his underside, or turn the other way and dive, then climb back up to do another run).

A Pe-8 is exceedingly difficult to attack, loaded with machine guns and even some 20mm as it is. Your best bet is to climb above it, and then do vertical dives with guns aimed at the wing roots, engines or cockpit (if you're feeling lucky); never, ever, waste ammo on firing at the fuselage. Of course, you should aim to avoid crashing into the bomber (watch "Memphis Belle" to see a 109'er dive *through* a B-17), and once you pass it, level out your dive slowly, and you should have enough speed to take yourself out of the "kill zone". Repeat as necessary; Pe-8's are *bleeding* hard to take down. If the Pe-8 is flying too low to make vertical dives on, (as happened a few times online, on servers that allowed for AI-planes to be flown), your best chance of survival is to avoid it altogether; I have seen more than one low-flying Pe-8 online in my time, slowly cruising along while picking off attacking fighters left, right and centre; bombers online tend to attract fighters like flies to a pile of manure. If you feel you *have* to attack the low-flying Pe-8, pick up a *lot* of speed and go for a high-deflection run; attack from 90-degree angles (from the sides, that is) and again try to put your rounds into the engines. Use your speed to get clear.
Speed is essential when attacking bombers; while high speed won't give you much time to aim and fire, it *will* give you a chance to survive a pass, and give you enough energy to trade into a climb, which again can be traded into renewed attacks.

As for fighter combat, well... Once you're past the basics, only practice and experience will get you anywhere. Don't turn fight Rata's in a Jug, and don't dive with Jugs in a Rata; know the capabilites of the various planes, and notice the way the online vets fly them.

*Wheeze* Now I need a smoke. Hope it helps... *S*

-----------------------------------

"I don't know what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
-A. Einstein
"And any leftover assault weapons" -Fallout Fan

I am an Arado whiner. And proud of it.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avar234.html
Not my site. But a good place to start if you want to join the Arado-whining. The Arado needs *you* today!

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 01:58 PM
If i were you, I would practice a lot with the quick mission builder, just with 4 on 4s with the enemy on average and your wingmen on ace. This way, you don't really have to cover your wingmen that much and they can help you out if you're in trouble.
This method is good because you can map your progress with how many guys you kill and how many wingmen you lose.

good luck

-McTriggerhappy

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm new too and I feel the same as Bigapelikething. I have never had any type of flight sim before. It takes practice just as it does in real life. Russian pilots didn't get much training and very few flight hours before they were sent into combat (the same for Germans late in the war). It's a learn-as-you-go method and it's realistic. I learned a lot by reading this board, thanks.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Really interesting Dystopian.

I heard once that night fighter pilots use to fly up underneath bombers & stall the fighter so it pointed straight up. They would fire a long burst while the bomber flew over, hence spraying the complete fuselage.

Anyway, that just sprang to mind as I read your mail.

Ape

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 01:23 PM
BigApeLikeThing wrote:
- I heard once that night fighter pilots use to fly up
- underneath bombers & stall the fighter so it pointed
- straight up. They would fire a long burst while the
- bomber flew over, hence spraying the complete
- fuselage.

They could do so because they were night fighters; the gunners in the bomber would have a hard time spotting them before it was too late, and night fighters were generally two-engined retrofitted attack planes (like the Me-110 and -correct me if I'm wrong- Ju-88), with one hell of a set of cannons mounted, giving them ample firepower to tear apart anything they cared to look at twice.

Don't *ever* do the "climb from below"-approach on anything else than IL2's, Stuka's or other fighters! Or rather; try it on a hostile Pe-8, and notice how you will be caught by pretty much every single turret, once you pass the bomber on the way up. Trust me; any bomber will laugh you in your face and then shoot it off if you try coming from beneath it. An approach from below is a one-way ticket; if you don't take down the bomber while coming up, you will remain in the bombers "killing zone" while trying to either climb or turn and dive out of range, and 9 times out of 10 you'll take the fast track to the ground.

Approaches from above or the sides gives you a fast, straight path in and out of the bombers killing zone.

Oh; and I have a small note to add on engaging IL2's: Don't *ever* get caught in front of one!!! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Futhermore, there are two ways to do the "below and behind"-attack; either match speeds and fire away with impunity, or keep your speed up and do quick, well aimed passes.
Matching your speed with an IL2 is only viable if you are absolutely sure no hostiles will creep up on you; IL2's are slow, and getting caught by an enemy fighter while lingering behind one is a sure way to come to a "rather premature reunion with mother earth" as the manual so eloquently put it.
High speed passes require more skill, but will keep you alive longer. And be sure to plan out just how you're going to get away from the IL2, if your first pass fails to eliminate it; I prefer to level out and turn away in a shallow dive well before I climb above it (which would put me in the rear gun's killing zone). Then, using the speed picked up in the dive, I climb back up to set up another attack.
When engaging a formation of IL2's, I would recommend going for the rearmost plane, to stay out of the reach of the forward-facing guns of the other IL2's...
And by the way: You know you've hit your mark when the IL2 you're engaging starts belching dark smoke from the radiator; even a thin stream of smoke means you've pretty much disabled the IL2. If ammo is an issue, don't waste any more rounds on a smoking IL2; he'll either have to slow down a lot to prevent his engine from catching fire, or crash land. Keep in mind that you won't get a "kill" for forcing another plane to land; only exploded enemy planes give a kill (at least that's the rules of the game in the original IL2), so if you like kill-scores by all means keep hitting it in the same place until it starts burning.

Damn; I went over the top again, did'nt I? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Sorry for the long rant; I get carried away sometimes...

-----------------------------------

"I don't know what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
-A. Einstein
"And any leftover assault weapons" -Fallout Fan

I am an Arado whiner. And proud of it.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avar234.html
Not my site. But a good place to start if you want to join the Arado-whining. The Arado needs *you* today!

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Don't apologise, it's all interesting stuff.

Ape

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Read about tactics--and not just the brief sections in the little FB manual. Become well aquainted with the concept of "energy" (or "E" as many call it). It's the most important thing you can know in air-to-air combat, regardless of what style you use.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 10:46 PM
BIGAPELIKETHING,

If you get confused with all the aeronautical terminology download a combat track from somebody whose pretty good and watch it several times then try to do the same moves yourself (you can find many traks in previous posts). You'd be supprised at how fast you can learn this way. This was the best method for me to learn booming and zooming enemy A/C.

BM357_Raven
09-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Try this:

Go into Multiplayer and host a game. No one will join, just create a game and host it for yourself. Next, pick the easiest plane to start. I recommend the Hurricane. Which ever plane you pick, stick with it for the next couple of months. Switching will only confuse things. There are various DOG FIGHT missions to pick from and anyone will work as long as it's got the plane you like to practice with.

Just go and fly it around. Practice loops at various speeds and altitudes. Search the net for other maneuvers so that you know how to perform an immelmann, high yo-yo, low yo-yo, split-S, Barrel Roll, Downward Spirals, etc.

Once you learn how to fly pretty well, you will want to turn up the heat. The best pilots on the net are the aggressive pilots. They tend to always attack hard, and fly their machines on the edge of controlability.

So I recommend just mixing it up. Try the oddest and most ubrupt changes in stick and rudder. If you go into a spin, just use opposite rudder and neutralize the stick. Power down as well.

Take turns hard and fast and continue to tighten your turns, using rudder to keep you aloft when you push it too far. Continue to ride on the very edge of control. When you crash, get right back up again. If you like you can also turn off landings and take-off's while you practice the really tough stuff.

The idea is to teach yourself the nuances of the plane, by testing it beyond the limits of normal flight. You should fly the plane at the absolute extreme of control to get really good.

JOYSTICK: You will also need a good stick. I personally recommend the Sidewinder FFB2 (which will soon be unavailable).

In Quick Mission Builder, I recommend chasing friendlies around with your hurricane IIc (cannons) and unlimited ammo. If this depresses you as much as it does me, then just start off with aN EASY enemy.

If you want to learn more slowly and authentically, then you can keep everything set on difficult. But I think that's a waste of time. Give yourself some advantages at first so that you can increase your skill in levels. KEEP THE FLIGHT MODEL HARD, but do the unlimited ammo thing at first, engine managment OFF, etc. Eventually, you'll be able to take on a pair of 109 Aces in a Lagg or P-39N. Sometimes I even fight em in a 109. Just stay out of the head-on's with Ace AI./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VERY BASIC TIPS:

1) Remember this as well. To gain on a plane that is in a turn, move your site ahead of the plane in the turn. To fall back, point your site behind the plane in the turn. However, the sharper the turn, the more you can bleed speed. Some times it is better to let them turn tighter at first and then sort of "reel them in" later on in the turn.

2) Some planes are better turning planes than others. The Hurricane, for example, should use its turning ability to out-maneuver a 190, which does not turn as well.

3) When you turn, do not turn horizontally. Instead MIX the Verticle with the Horizontal. This helps you to turn better and makes you a harder target. See Yo-Yo's.

4) Do not press the attack on a single target for too long. You will always become a target yourself.

5) When faced with the choice of turning towards the enemy or away from the enemy, you should chose towards the enemy. Attacking is your best defense. Run only if you have room and speed to escape.

6) After Several Hundred Hours of Practice, come to me and I will teach you the 'Mouse Trick' which will make you nearly unstoppable to the others who just use their hat switch. Seeing is reacting.

ALSO: FRUSTRATION WILL GET YOU KILLED, BUT DETERMINATION WILL MAKE YOU AN ACE.

GL, that's my two cents!

Blazing Magnums 357th VFG
http://bm357.com/KTIN_RADIO.gif

http://www.bm357.com
http://bm357.com/bm357_raven_with_guns%20copy.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:12 AM
BigApeLikeThing wrote:
- Well, overwhelmed with the kind replies, thanks all.
-
- -
- Thanks again for the help, but don't be too kind or
- one day you may find me on your tail!!!!
-
- Ape
-
-
-
-
-

One of the MOST rewarding aspects of online flight simulators is teaching new guys what to do and how to do it.

It's great when you get in a tense, sweaty palms, hand shaking, heart racing dogfight with some guy for five minutes, and lose in the end because you just couldn't seem to shake him.......and it turns out to be some guy you taught how to take off without crashing.

The gift of knowledge is one of the more pleasurable things to give in this life, especially if you are present to see that knowledge put to use.

Bluedog