PDA

View Full Version : Muliti Sub-types for campaigns?

tomtheyak
09-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I know this is way too late for PF but perahps 1C could look at incorporating more than one variant into use for squadrons in campaigns in BoB?

It would be a nice finishing touch to, for example, have the BoE spitfire campaign with MkIXc and e/full wing or clipped variants on squadron roster, or the Mustang post D-Day campaign with mixed B, C and D models on strength in a single squadron, as was prototypical.

This off course would apply to all nations - mixed 109/190 variants for LW for various campaigns, and the VVS rarely ever had a unit equipped with a singular sub-type; apparently some Yak units had on strength on occasion -1s, -7s and -9s and a wide variety of sub-types of even these! Indeed it was a common for -9Ts to go to element leaders whilst their wingmen flew standard 20mm armed -9s.

Perhaps rather than specific model references in the future campaign engine that a/c can be collected into groups or families (i.e. Spitfire MkIXc, IXe and their clipped wing variants grouped as 'spitfireIX_fam').

I realise that this requires more from the PC in loading more a/c models at a given moment but....

Hey it's only a suggestion, and something I'd quite like to see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks all, love this Sim!

tomtheyak
09-29-2005, 06:34 PM
**** tumbleweed rolls thru *****

Looks like i walked into the wrong part of town... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

No-one like to share an opinion on this?

ZG77_Lignite
09-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Its a good suggestion TomTYak, perhaps something Starshoy could implement. There are a number of unit organization type things that could be improved by DGen (or perhaps deeper in Il-2 itself). There are a number of Dgen builders at SimHQ that are working on improving things, and in the past Starshoy has been very accomodating, as his time and resources allow.

tomtheyak
10-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Hmmm... yeah, maybe that is an option - get a feeling this is a game engine related issue tho...

as I say, i aint expecting it for FB/PF (tho nice it would be!!!), just a hint for something to bear in mind for BoB - especially if its supposed to be growing into a larger WW2 sim...

Chuck_Older
10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Do you mean mixed flights as in, say, three P-51Ds and one P-51B are in the same flight?

An aspect that has never really been done right is the aircraft availability aspect. I have read battle of Britain accounts by german 109 pilots that say things like "My old trusty Yellow 4 was down for repairs, so today I flew Yellow 2 with auto pitch control". It might be interesting to not so much choose the right aircraft, as to have the right aircraft choice a compromise between variants of the same model that are actually prepped for flight