PDA

View Full Version : A realism bug that I encountered, my best battle ever

IHI.OuTcAsT
06-23-2005, 11:34 AM
I was playing QuickMission with Full Realistic Setting (except from the no icon option) in Smolenesk, me having a LA-7 3xB-20 against 2 Ace Mustangs. The usual start with maneuvering of LA7 trying to shot down one of the mustangs. While I was dogfighting with one, the other one was behind me and hitted me some times, 1 hit of him made one of my 3 cannons not work and other hits opened a fuel leak.

Even if I was hit, I managed to destroy one mustang, and I was ready for crazy turning so I could get the other one as well. But here something strange happened to my plane!

I couldn't change throttle! I was moving the throttle control down to 0% (The text of the engine was appearing though was not working) but still the engine was running full with Forzah Boost (sp?). Once I saw that I said "wow", patch 4.01 added so complex DM that the bullet destroyed the throttle control!

The engine was overheating for a lot of time so I had no other choice but to Turn the engine OFF with the "i" button to cool it a little and then I would open it again (if I hadn't still been shot down by the mustang) to try to continue the dogfight with the last mustang. I turned off and waited for the temperature to go down a little. I did but the instant decrease of my speed gave a big advantage to the mustang that was now behind me and was shooting lots of things on me. I got hit many times, and now my plane was full of smokes but still no part was lost, it was still flyable.

While he was shooting me, I tried to start the engine again. The propeller spins a little tries to start but poof and then stops again. In that time the mustang ace ai stopped shooting me. I look behind with the hat switch, and I saw it running faster than me (seems normal as I had engine off for some time already, my speed was just enough to stay on the air). Then I try to start the engine again. I press "I" and the proppeler for one more time tries to start, it goes it goes, and finally it starts giving a crazy instant boost to my plane (remember the throttle was locked at 110% with Forzah).
Exactly the time the engine started I saw the mustang around 200 meters exactly up from me. He probably (I say it like he was human) saw me before having the proppeler stopped and assumed that I was going to crash (no hope to climb and shoot him while he passed up from me with engine off). Anyway once the engine of mine opened I almost instantly tried to climb to shoot him down. In a desperate limited unstable temporary zoom up climb I shot some B-20s on him and my plane after that by itself nosed down because the horse power/ speed was not enough for that crazy climb.

The crazy thing is that those B-20 bullets hitted him right on the engine and the mustang catched fire at once, and after 3-4 seconds it completely exploded on the air in front of me. I had never seens it again against a Mustang. Those things usually happen when you use MK108 against some small/weak 1940 birds.

Once he exploded for my strange luck again, I look down, and a grass airport (allied/enemy I dont know/dont care , probably those in QMB are neutral :P) was just some 300 meters away. I lined up to the way and turned off the engine as I couldn't land with 110% boosted engine. Slowly dropping flaps and I did a perfect landing, at least from inside the cockpit it was just right even with no engine.

Those 15-20 minutes were the best moment I ever had in a video-game. All happened just "right". I can't believe it.

The bug I mention in the title is about the throttle not working. I understand that it is a bug because when I open the replay my plane crashes to the ground before anything from those I described happens. And this is the bad side, I have no replay of the best moment I ever had in this game... I wish I had pressed the save to .ntrk button before I did this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Trks are always full of bugs.

Sorry for my bad english, comments are welcome!

dadada1
06-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Does'nt sound like a bug, more like your throttle linkage was damaged when you got hit. Damage to engine controls has been modelled in game for some time now I think. Its happened to me as well on several occasions.

Grue_
06-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Good fight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The game models throttle linkage damage.

IHI.OuTcAsT
06-23-2005, 11:47 AM
So it is simple .trk bug?

FI-Aflak
06-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by dadada1:
Does'nt sound like a bug, more like your throttle linkage was damaged when you got hit. Damage to engine controls has been modelled in game for some time now I think. Its happened to me as well on several occasions.
he is saying bug because the track shows a different version of events.

Either way, lots of fun to be had in IL2

PBNA-Boosher
06-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Cool. Trust me though. The merlin on the P-51 is a huge target. In real life, as in game, that merlin engine was a glass jaw. One hit could flame it to pieces.

Capt._Tenneal
06-23-2005, 12:42 PM
IHI, what type Mustang did you use ? In case I want to recreate your QMB mission -- was it D-20, the new Mustang Mk. III, or an earlier version ?

VW-IceFire
06-23-2005, 12:45 PM
The throttle linkage being broken has been around for a while now. But I think its been added to more planes recently.

Sometimes you loose the throttle but not the prop pitch control so you can bring it in that way. Sometimes both go and there's not much you can do...

Cragger
06-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
The throttle linkage being broken has been around for a while now. But I think its been added to more planes recently.

Sometimes you loose the throttle but not the prop pitch control so you can bring it in that way. Sometimes both go and there's not much you can do...

Yup, though in reality forcing lower rpms while maintaining high/WEP MAP would blow the engine anyway, something not yet modeled in Oleg's game.

Best thing you could do in real life would be to disengage the blower if you can to lower MAP, and then use mixture control to adjust power. The engine is still going to run hot from over lean settings but not as bad as running full WEP.

IHI.OuTcAsT
06-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Capt._Tenneal

I had the new Mustang Mk. III as enemies.

Guys is there any way to make the .trk file work again? Is there any editor for movement signals or such for the trk files??

kameron1974
06-23-2005, 10:28 PM
My tracks were playing back showing one landing gear down. I can't see there being any way to fix it.

IHI.OuTcAsT
06-24-2005, 11:25 AM
I tried by altering different things in the .trk file (mainly change difficulty values) to fix the asynchronization but even if I produced a different playback still it wasn't the real thing.

From what I understand the asynchronization in the .trk starts by the time I get hit from the mustang on one of my cannons. The time I get hit the plane rolls a little (because of the hitting power). The hitting power roll seems to mess the replay as because of the roll it shows me crash on the ground. I tried turning vulnerability off for the replay so I don't take damage but still the replay messes up a little later. There is "probably" a bug in the hitting power movement penalty when it gets recorded?

Badsight.
06-24-2005, 03:23 PM
do the people replying here realise that his "bug" isnt the throttle stuck on full

the claims here at this forum are that if v400m & v4.01 are different then .trk files wont play back the same

but heres a guy who has a .trk file that wont play back properly

IHI.OuTcAsT , did you record this .trk in v4.01 & are trying to reply it back in v4.01 ?

IHI.OuTcAsT
06-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Badsight, yes of course. Made in 4.01 and not playable in 4.01.

Badsight.
06-24-2005, 08:14 PM
the recording feature is not 100% reliable for many people

it may be related to the power of the individual machine

i have been told when recording a .NTRK , that you should have your NETSPEED setting set to LAN to record the best .NTRk your machine is capable of making

often my .NTRKs play back wrong

im sorry but its been a very long time since i had anything to do with .TRK files . i dont really use them . when i did i recall having similer problems tho

the causes may be varied

bigbossmalone
06-25-2005, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Badsight.:
the recording feature is not 100% reliable for many people
often my .NTRKs play back wrong

Right you are, Badsight, and Outcast,that sounded like a grand lost fight because of no trk. It does happen, and has happened to me in the past and I too, have lost some of my finest iL2 moments to a desynched/bug trk file.
I must admit I have not had it happen in an ntrk recording sofar, but I am lazy with it, probably because I play this 'game' so ****ed much that I couldn't possibly store and then sort through all those quick001,002,3,4,etc files, so generally I will wait and see if anything memorable happens during a mission and record afterwards with 'save track'.
It is truly a big pity about the incompatibility problems these tracks have...