PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X52 interfering w/ desktop icons problem

devildog1956
02-08-2005, 05:34 AM
I have a P4 3.6, 1gb ram, Nvidia GF6800, Audigy SC, XP SP2. I just bought a Saitek X52, loaded the software and drivers, including the HID drivers.

When I boot the machine, my Labtec mouse works normally. But when I download a profile to the stick and try to select PF from the desktop, I open the Trash Bin! After clicking close multiple times, it happens again.

I isolated the problem to the slider on the HOTAS. I could change the icon that the X52 was selecting by moving the slider from side to side, which is fine if all I want to do is run my Media player or Trash Bin. I find these boring after a while, however.

So being the clever guy I am, I removed the commands from the slider and put them onto HOTAS rotary switch#1. I continue to have the same issue...except now I can select the Trash Bin with the Rotary switch. Note that the mouse pointer moves normally, so I place it on PF and get one of the other icons to open.

Do any X52 users have any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks.

devildog1956
02-08-2005, 05:34 AM
I have a P4 3.6, 1gb ram, Nvidia GF6800, Audigy SC, XP SP2. I just bought a Saitek X52, loaded the software and drivers, including the HID drivers.

When I boot the machine, my Labtec mouse works normally. But when I download a profile to the stick and try to select PF from the desktop, I open the Trash Bin! After clicking close multiple times, it happens again.

I isolated the problem to the slider on the HOTAS. I could change the icon that the X52 was selecting by moving the slider from side to side, which is fine if all I want to do is run my Media player or Trash Bin. I find these boring after a while, however.

So being the clever guy I am, I removed the commands from the slider and put them onto HOTAS rotary switch#1. I continue to have the same issue...except now I can select the Trash Bin with the Rotary switch. Note that the mouse pointer moves normally, so I place it on PF and get one of the other icons to open.

Do any X52 users have any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks.

Stolly
02-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Yeah, mine does similar. I just pull the trigger a couple of times that clears it for that session. I'd rather it now do it at all though.

Saitek always used to have a problem with "Sticky Keys" back with their original gameport sticks.

Wilburnator
02-08-2005, 07:07 AM
I set up a profile for mine that allows me to zoom in and out with the thumb slider. I used used the numeral keys bound to the various fields of view and set the slider up in banded mode to those keys. It worked great, except it goes nuts every so often... I go to say something in game and hit enter without looking at what I typed, and I see a long string of numbers instead of what I wrote. On my desktop with that profile loaded, sometimes no matter what I click on, it opens the same folder, over and over. Hitting a button on the throttle stops it for a while.

I was getting to like the X52 but I would never recommend it to anyone. It has some nice features, but it has some useless ones that drive the price up (or rather the over all quality down), like the lcd screen that serves no purpose other than to cast a pale blue light on your left hand. The stick itself had no dead band that others speak of originally, but it has since developed one that makes it very had to aim.

I'm still using the throttle, even with it's annoying little glitches, but I replaced the stick already with a CH Fighterstick, which so far I love http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

I.JG27_Orgon
02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I also encountered weird problems after setting the zoom in and out to the thumb slider using the software Saitek provided. After doing so I had annoying system behaviour as well as - from time to time - the inability to start PF. I tried a lot of things until a squadmate told me to program the slider by using the advanced commands option and not just by using simple commands. If you use only simple commands the slider will hit over and over again the key that you have programmed and its position is actually in. So it is like holding a keyboard button pressed while trying to work with the computer. If you use the advanded commands the key will be hit only once when the slider is put to a new position.

I hope my explanation can be understood and it helps you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wilburnator
02-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Sweet. That did the trick, thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wilburnator
02-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I take it back. It's still doing the same thing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

LordOliver
02-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Happy owner so far here... I remember having the desktop problem before with my old X45 and the AUX switch until I learned about the advanced commands.

Advanced commands not only tell the switch/axis to issue a key stroke, but more importaintly, to release it. Only once per switch position change.

Have the "precision" slider set to prop pitch.. so far it is working well with no hiccups.

To me it really sounds like there is a shift/ctr/alt key stuck in the on position... which will really mess with your PC. Can even lock it up hard.

Might want to go through your profile...

Tully__
02-09-2005, 04:49 AM
Use Advanced Commands.

Assign both the key press and key release events to the slider press event. You may need to tweak the delay slightly on the release event to get reliable activation in game.

Delete all events in the "Repeat" and "Release" windows.

That WILL fix it. X-45 Aux switch works the same way. The same technique applies for both the three position switch and banded rotaries/sliders.

devildog1956
02-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Perhaps Saitek should pay you because they have still not responded!

See ya out there...

Tully__
02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by devildog1956:
Thanks for the help guys! Perhaps Saitek should pay you because they have still not responded!

See ya out there... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC it is mentioned somewhere in the documentation that comes with the profiling software that the Aux switch and banded rotaries are "held down" controls....

RAAF_Furball
08-24-2005, 09:53 AM
G'day.
Apparently, Saitek are aware of the problem.
One hopes an updated driver will be released sometime.

This Saitek Forum thread sheds some light - and workarounds, but no solution as yet.

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=7033

Such as:
--------
disable the magic mouse in device manager
----
open Saitek control panel
----

Another problem I have is also described beautifully on that page:
"I see when i do 110 % with my Throttle, than the mouse go faster down.
When i do the Throttle 10 %, my mouse ist ok
I will dont fly with 10 % "

Takamaka
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
If the sticky mouse give you some troubles, what happened with my first X-52 after a month or so, while it was working great before without any changes in my configuration, you can ask them to exchange your joystick. They did it for me, and for the last two months I did spent with it, the issue did not happened anymore, even if I am using the sticky mouse to move my head around the cockpit all the time.

RAAF_Furball
08-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Thanks for that.

Have discovered that it happens with the profile I created and doesn't seem to happen with the one that came on the CD.

I'm going to change all key assignments to Advanced commands.

Te_Vigo
08-27-2005, 03:00 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;282753

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122/EN-US/

Is part of the problem.
Funny thing is..........after uninstalling all Saitek programs/ drivers, then editing the registry as described (applied to Saitek not Logiteck), and running with just XPSP2 native signed Windows' drivers...all my buttons and X52 throttle mousewheel now detect and can be assigned to ingame. Whereas previously, while running Saitek software/ drivers and some would not detect.
&lt;insert Twilight Zone music *here*&gt;
And the really funn thing is........... my mobo is now performing better, much better in fact, than "out of the box"

I do miss having my views not available on the mini stick and TS on the mouse click anymore http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

BTW Microsoft have just released a set of updated drivers on the update site