PDA

View Full Version : Feature request: Force feedback on multiple controlers...

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 01:54 AM
Hi, I'd like if possible in a future patch the possibility to have force feedback on multiple controlers in conf.ini settings....

I have winxp and you can't assign controlers id. I have a gamepad and joystick and winxp automatically assign the game pad id1. So I need to deactivate the gamepad so that the joystick become id1 and then force feedback works in the game...

Thanks

Stef

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 01:54 AM
Hi, I'd like if possible in a future patch the possibility to have force feedback on multiple controlers in conf.ini settings....

I have winxp and you can't assign controlers id. I have a gamepad and joystick and winxp automatically assign the game pad id1. So I need to deactivate the gamepad so that the joystick become id1 and then force feedback works in the game...

Thanks

Stef

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 03:41 AM
Why not just disconnect the gamepad? It should work fine then.

http://www.tarrif.net/img/fordnut_sig.jpg

Don't know what Windhund is? Check us out at http://www.windhund.org

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 04:45 AM
Stef, hi.

I am not trying to be a smart a@@, but what does FFB have to do with how WinXP assigns game devices?

("have force feedback on multiple controlers")

Are you saying you want Oleg to program FFB for the gamepad? That would not help anyway, unless your gamepad supports it, and, you intend to use the gamepad with FB.

Well, maybe you just did not word it like you meant it.

If you have not tried it yet, completely uninstall both devices. COMPLETELY! Make sure you remove the drivers and software for both devices, that you installed yourself. Unplug the devices, also.

BTW, uninstall the hardware in Device Manager first, then remove the software/drivers, then unplug the devices, then reboot.

You can DL RegClean, it may help remove remnants of the software entries in the registry, especially if you do not want to delete entries from the registry yourself. (NOTE: Always backup a registry file before editing, and know how to repair. Otherwise, do not edit the registry.) If you use RegClean, reboot after 'fixing'.

Then install the js completely, reboot.
Then install the gamepad.
(This worked for me with another device that I use.)

-

Maybe someone that has had trouble will help you. I believe there are some here that had about the same problem.

You can also post your question in the Tech Support Forum, which is what I would recommend.

EDIT: Are you disabling in Device Manager, or removing in Game Controllers? I was thinking you were removing. Anyway, there is no way to set the controller order in XP. Correct. So, maybe the request to Oleg should be to allow FB to choose exactly which controller you want to use. Is that what you meant?

<p align="center">http://forums.ubi.com/i/icons/Symbols/symbol-us-flag.gif </br></br><font size="1" color="white"><u>RealKill</u></font></p><font size="1" color="#4A535C">

Message Edited on 10/22/0311:18PM by RealKill

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Yes, although Logitech and Winxp don't work well together with the gamepad. Sometimes when I disable the gamepad, windows looses the identification of the pad and I must reinstall the driver. Since I assume that adding force feedback to controller number 2 in the game should be easy, in my case it would be much better...

Stef

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 03:53 PM
RealKill wrote:
- Stef, hi.

Hello... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

-
- I am not trying to be a smart a@@, but what does FFB
- have to do with how WinXP assigns game devices?
-
- ("have force feedback on multiple controlers")
-
- Are you saying you want Oleg to program FFB for the
- gamepad? That would not help anyway, unless your
- gamepad supports it, and, you intend to use the
- gamepad with FB.
-
- Well, maybe you just did not word it like you meant
- it.

This happens when English is not your first language... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Right now, the force feedback in the game applies only to controller 1. So if you have another controller in the game, number 2, force feedback will not work for that controller.

-
- If you have not tried it yet, completely uninstall
- both devices. COMPLETELY! Make sure you remove the
- drivers and software for both devices, that you
- installed yourself. Unplug the devices, also.
-
- BTW, uninstall the hardware in Device Manager first,
- then remove the software/drivers, then unplug the
- devices, then reboot.
-
- You can DL RegClean, it may help remove remnants of
- the software entries in the registry, especially if
- you do not want to delete entries from the registry
- yourself. (NOTE: Always backup a registry file
- before editing, and know how to repair. Otherwise,
- do not edit the registry.) If you use RegClean,
- reboot after 'fixing'.
-
- Then install the js completely, reboot.
- Then install the gamepad.
- (This worked for me with another device that I use.)
-
--

I have just done it again. The stupid Logitech pad pushes the joystick to number 2. It really wants to become number 1 and with Winxp, I can't put back the joystick to number 1... This is a common problem I found out on the net about Xp in that you can't decide controller IDs like Win98 and Me...

-
- Maybe someone that has had trouble will help you. I
- believe there are some here that had about the same
- problem.

Indeed, On the other hand I did find out how to use my joystick as controller 2 in the game. Works fine. It's just that force feedback is not enabled for controller 2. I assume it's very easy to include that in the game...

-
- You can also post your question in the Tech Support
- Forum, which is what I would recommend.

Did that long ago,. No response so I just took a chance that the Oleg team will see it and consider my request... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

-
- EDIT: Are you disabling in Device Manager, or
- removing in Game Controllers? I was thinking you
- were removing. Anyway, there is no way to set the
- controller order in XP. Correct. So, maybe the
- request to Oleg should be to allow FB to choose
- exactly which controller you want to use. Is that
- what you meant?

Well, I disable the pad but sometimes, when I reactivate it, it messes the ID of the gamepad. Winxp reinterpret it as a general gamepad and I must reinstall the driver again... Seems Logitech and Winxp don't work well together and that is with updated patches... So overall, the least I need is feedback response to my joystick assigned as ID2 in the game... Of course, your suggestion of choosing which controller to use would be far more better.... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I hope I'm clear now... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

The english language is pretty easy to learn but I'm not an expert yet.... Many thanks to your suggestions though... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Anything you hear somewhere else, post it in the tech forum, I'll be watching...

Stef

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Stef, have you tried, when first starting FB, to go to the input menu, flipping FFB off, going back (<), then into the input menu again, flipping on, then exiting the menu to go into the game and fly. [If you have a 'stick/hand sensor', like the MS FFB2, make sure it is 'covered' when doing this.)

Is your gamepad and js USB? If so, you could buy an inexpensive USB hub and mount it somehwere very easy to access. Then, just unplug the game pad when you need the js. I believe this would work, in regards to not constantly reinstalling the gamepad driver. Buy one locally and try it. (I bet you are going to say your gamepad works off your gameport (D-Sub).)

Fortunately, I have never had this problem in XP. It may be because when I do an install, the first gaming device I install is the js. Deleting all references to a device in software and the registry is a daunting task. Usually one that people screw up. I did change device order in 2000 once, which has the same prob as XP, but I am use to being in the registry. So, maybe, that is what did it for me. I do not really recommend that, though.

I have followed a couple of threads like this in the past and do not remember anyone posting a 'cure'. Also, I did some research in the Knowledge Base and Google, but I did not find anything to help you.

Good luck.

<p align="center">http://forums.ubi.com/i/icons/Symbols/symbol-us-flag.gif </br></br><font size="1" color="white"><u>RealKill</u></font></p><font size="1" color="#4A535C">

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 02:38 PM
RealKill wrote:
- Stef, have you tried, when first starting FB, to go
- to the input menu, flipping FFB off, going back (<),
- then into the input menu again, flipping on, then
- exiting the menu to go into the game and fly. (If
- you have a 'stick/hand sensor', like the MS FFB2,
- make sure it is 'covered' when doing this.)

Well the gamepad is id1 by default in XP so the input menu in the games works for the gamepad. Therefore anything done there is for the gamepad. I assign the joystick in the Hotas control menu to assign the x,y,z to the joystick. That is why I assume that Hotas sticks today do not have force feedback and so that's why it can't work. Note that when the gamepad is disabled, the joystick and force feedback works well because it is assigned as ID1 and the game input screen works well. That is why your suggestion of choosing which controller we want in the input screen would be far more better and convenient. Obviously, the programmers expected that the joystick be ID1 and the Hotas ID2 with the joystick only be able to use force feedback....

-
- Is your gamepad and js USB? If so, you could buy an
- inexpensive USB hub and mount it somehwere very easy
- to access. Then, just unplug the game pad when you
- need the js. I believe this would work, in regards
- to not constantly reinstalling the gamepad driver.
- Buy one locally and try it. (I bet you are going to
- say your gamepad works off your gameport (D-Sub).)

Well, good option I could consider.. I do know that XP and the Logitech gamepad do not work well together. You think that's not the same thing that will happen if I disconnect it physically? Why XP decides suddenly to "forget" what type of pad I have? I somewhat expect it to screw things again if I disconnect the pad... I did find out that it may have something to do with my Asus board with via chipset... I've heard that some chipsets have problems with USB, among other things... This could explain the problems I have...

-
- Fortunately, I have never had this problem in XP.
- It may be because when I do an install, the first
- gaming device I install is the js. Deleting all
- references to a device in software and the registry
- is a daunting task. Usually one that people screw
- up. I did change device order in 2000 once, which
- has the same prob as XP, but I am use to being in
- the registry. So, maybe, that is what did it for
- me. I do not really recommend that, though.
-

Hmm, well, I assume there is no lines in the registry that could change controllers order then in XP? Also, is it possible that Logitech made sure that the gamepad be ID1 and not XP? Or is it that XP always assign gamepad as ID1?

- I have followed a couple of threads like this in the
- past and do not remember anyone posting a 'cure'.
- Also, I did some research in the Knowledge Base and
- Google, but I did not find anything to help you.
-
- Good luck.

Hehe, yeah... seems the case. Of course it's not the end of the world, reinstalling the driver is a waste of time but since the feature of the feedback is so cool especially before stalling, I'm willing to live like that.. Then again, who knows, maybe the programmers will include your suggestion in a future patch... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Thanks again!

Stef