PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Hyperlobby

bizerker1
05-08-2005, 07:25 AM
I flew last night on Hyperlobby for the first time and noticed a couple of things that I hadn't seen in my offline play. First, I wasn't able to use my rudder or elevator trim at all. Is this typical for online play? It does make the plane more difficult to control. Then on one mission, I took an SBD off from a carrier and had a very wild ride, the plane yawed back and forth during the whole mission and I finally had to exit. I didn't have this problem even on another mission using the same server. Has anyone else seen this before?

Another thing I wondered, is there anyway to get an overview of the airport you are taking off from. Sometimes it is very difficult to even find the runway you're supposed to use and I end up crashing when I try to take off from the wrong place.

Thanks for any help.

Biz

Finkeren
05-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I think I might have an explanation.

As for the missing rudder trim: This feature doesn't exist on certain planes, for instance all of the Bf 109 series up to G-14, perhaps you were flying this plane?

As for the rough ride: Some maps have stronger winds at low altitudes especially when the weather is set to 'hazy' and of course during a thunderstorm. On some maps the strong windeffects continue up to 1.500 m and can make especially carrier landings extremely difficult.

As for overview of the airfield: Unfortunately there is no way to help this, unless the server permits external view. You might consider flying planes with tricycle gear configuration like the P-38, P-39 and Me 262. This will give you a better view, untill you've figured out the layout of the field. Fortunately there are just a few standard type fields, so they don't vary that much, also most fields are kinda small and easy to overlook.
BTW, on dogfight servers, it really don't matter that much which runway you use, as long as you keep an eye out for others taking off and landing.
I tend to take off from the small grass strip between the runway and the taxi-line. This is a bit more bumpy, but I don't risk the embarresment of crashing into a teammate comming in the other direction. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Hope this helps mate, and wellcome to the wonders of online play http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Stiglr
05-08-2005, 11:08 AM
This is really bad on the desert maps. It's nearly impossible to tell runway from desert scrub.

Shouldn't there be some kind of flags, burning barrels, or something there to mark the way???

Finkeren
05-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Well that's up to the designer of the mission to do, my negative friend http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
The biggest concern IHO is the overheating in the desert. The Hurricane will overheat all the time up to 2000m http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

VW-IceFire
05-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Stiglr:
This is really bad on the desert maps. It's nearly impossible to tell runway from desert scrub.

Shouldn't there be some kind of flags, burning barrels, or something there to mark the way???
There should be, but most mission designers for servers ignore the usefulness of props and whatnot placed near runways.

Even a few buildings, a tent, and a control tower goes a long way to helping people find the airbase and navigate it from the ground.

This feature is sorely lacking on WarClouds for instance...where getting around the base would be alot easier if there were buildings at either end and the odd parked plane.

bizerker1
05-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Let me see if I've got this straight. When I build an offline coop mission and want to start on the tarmac, I can't because I can only spawn on the runway. But if I'm in an online dogfight and need to get off the runway in a hurry, I can only spawn on the tarmac. Go figure!! Well, I guess I just need to learn the different airstrips as you say, just need to find the time to get online more.

I take it I should be able to use trim in online missions. This was strange as when I started an offline mission immediately after flying on Hyperlobby everything was working fine.

Thanks for the help!

Biz

Hofer_
05-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by bizerker1:
Let me see if I've got this straight. When I build an offline coop mission and want to start on the tarmac, I can't because I can only spawn on the runway. But if I'm in an online dogfight and need to get off the runway in a hurry, I can only spawn on the tarmac. Go figure!! Well, I guess I just need to learn the different airstrips as you say, just need to find the time to get online more.

I take it I should be able to use trim in online missions. This was strange as when I started an offline mission immediately after flying on Hyperlobby everything was working fine.

Thanks for the help!

Biz

Glad I'm not the only one....

I'm new to online play,& have the same problem finding my way around the different airfields.

It usually takes me a couple of goes to find the proper place to take off from on each different strip.

After a while I find the biggest navigational aid is the smoking craters left from my previous failed attempts. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

All part of the learning curve http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hofer

Tully__
05-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by bizerker1:
Let me see if I've got this straight. When I build an offline coop mission and want to start on the tarmac, I can't because I can only spawn on the runway. But if I'm in an online dogfight and need to get off the runway in a hurry, I can only spawn on the tarmac. Go figure!!
The important factor is the inclusion/exclusion of AI aircraft... any mission mode that allows them (all offline and coop online) forces spawning on the ground to the start of the runway because there is no ground mode for AI aircraft. Their landing taxiing behaviour doesn't use the AI engine, it's scripted.

JunkoIfurita
05-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ok, I'll try and address the couple of issues.

First - the trim. Trim is a default set of keys, so you shouldn't have any problem there - UNLESS you're using a joystick where you've assigned it to a HOTAS axis (for example the slider or rotaries on an X45/X52). First time you fly online, Hyperlobby/Ubi.com uses a fresh IL2/PF profile under your online nick, so none of your HOTAT controls or non-default key mappings are there. Two ways to get around this: 1) go through and re-set up your controls by hand. It'll save them in that profile and as long as you keep the same nick you'll be fine. OR 2) Copy your desired keymaps (located in 'settings.ini' inside your desired player directory, in 'users' directory in your main game directory. Rename that copied file to 'default.ini' and move it to your 'users' folder, replacing the 'default.ini' that's already there. Now every time you create a new profile in game, or start with a new nick online, the profile created will already have your keymaps and HOTAS setup.

Secondly, navigating airfields on Full-Real servers online (without external views) becomes a lot easier with the following trick. Start engine, brakes on - push your power up to 30% and rudder hard left or right. You'll swing around on the spot (pull your power off quickly or you might nose over) and can look out the side of your cockpit to have a much more free view of the layout of the airfield. Repeat this trick from stationary (taxi slow) every time you need to get your bearings. This is also extremely important to figure out if you've got someone in front of you, as ground prangs are embarrasing.

Of course, things are still much easier if there are ground objects, static campfires or lights to guide your way, but being able to look around at the ground in front of you without the engine in the way is a useful technique.

----

bizerker1
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you may have hit the nail on the head, Junko! I do use an x-45 and use the rotaries for my elevator and rudder trim. I'm curious though as to what you mean by resetting up your controls by hand. Do you mean that while you are in a HL game to reset your axis then? If not, I may need some more instruction. (A bit computer challenged here.) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Thanks!!

Biz

bizerker1
05-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Bump