PDA

View Full Version : P47D10, LA5, guages and stuff

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Ok, so the boost guage does not work at all on the P47, I think we all knew that.

The oil temp guage seems kinda screwy. It should be reading in degrees ferenheit, yet the overheat warning comes on at 120 degrees, which is well below the grey zone on the guage, as though it were calibrated for degrees celsius (120 degrees celsius is around where most oil temperatures cause the overheat warning from what I have observed).

Also, if you get to like 500m on the Crimea map and go to 100% throttle (but with water injection off, there is also a 100 with injection on, so you have to play with it a little) you can see the oil temperature creep up and eventually (need alot of 8X time compression) the overheat warning comes on. Now the odd part. Open the cowl flaps. You will see the oil temperature ease down a little, but the overheat warning stays. So now lower the throttle to 99, while closing the cowl flaps. the oil temperature will creep up a tad from where it was, and the overheat warning goes away!

Shouldn't the overheat warning be linked to oil temperature? And even if it is linked to cylinder head temperature (for which there is no guage), opening the cowl flaps should cool it down enough to get rid of the overheat message, at least temporarily. If throttle XX% cowl closed is the highest without overheat, then going to XX+1% and immediately opening the cowl flaps when the overheat message appears should cool the engine enough to get rid of the overheat message. In this case it cools the oil but the overheat message stays.

While we are on the subject of temperature guages I notice the LA5 series of planes has 2 guages, one is a combination guage (oil temperature, oil pressure, fuel pressure, I think) and the other, just below it and to the right of the climbrate guage, is also a temperature guage. Does anyone know what this other guage is? Is it a redundant oil temperature guage, or maybe it is a cylinder head temperature guage?

In any case, the overheat problem with these planes is that opening the cowl flaps will cause the oil temperature to cool way down (as seen on the combination guage), but has no effect on the other temperature guage. And it seems to be this other temperature guage which is linked to the overheat warning.

I already reported the LA5/7 in a bug report(though at the time I was only looking at the one guage that didn't move, not realising there was another temperature guage), but I havn't reported the P47 stuff yet.

Maybe this will inspire someone to spend a while looking at guages and find some other problems.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Ok, so the boost guage does not work at all on the P47, I think we all knew that.

The oil temp guage seems kinda screwy. It should be reading in degrees ferenheit, yet the overheat warning comes on at 120 degrees, which is well below the grey zone on the guage, as though it were calibrated for degrees celsius (120 degrees celsius is around where most oil temperatures cause the overheat warning from what I have observed).

Also, if you get to like 500m on the Crimea map and go to 100% throttle (but with water injection off, there is also a 100 with injection on, so you have to play with it a little) you can see the oil temperature creep up and eventually (need alot of 8X time compression) the overheat warning comes on. Now the odd part. Open the cowl flaps. You will see the oil temperature ease down a little, but the overheat warning stays. So now lower the throttle to 99, while closing the cowl flaps. the oil temperature will creep up a tad from where it was, and the overheat warning goes away!

Shouldn't the overheat warning be linked to oil temperature? And even if it is linked to cylinder head temperature (for which there is no guage), opening the cowl flaps should cool it down enough to get rid of the overheat message, at least temporarily. If throttle XX% cowl closed is the highest without overheat, then going to XX+1% and immediately opening the cowl flaps when the overheat message appears should cool the engine enough to get rid of the overheat message. In this case it cools the oil but the overheat message stays.

While we are on the subject of temperature guages I notice the LA5 series of planes has 2 guages, one is a combination guage (oil temperature, oil pressure, fuel pressure, I think) and the other, just below it and to the right of the climbrate guage, is also a temperature guage. Does anyone know what this other guage is? Is it a redundant oil temperature guage, or maybe it is a cylinder head temperature guage?

In any case, the overheat problem with these planes is that opening the cowl flaps will cause the oil temperature to cool way down (as seen on the combination guage), but has no effect on the other temperature guage. And it seems to be this other temperature guage which is linked to the overheat warning.

I already reported the LA5/7 in a bug report(though at the time I was only looking at the one guage that didn't move, not realising there was another temperature guage), but I havn't reported the P47 stuff yet.

Maybe this will inspire someone to spend a while looking at guages and find some other problems.