PDA

View Full Version : I wanna play IL2!

FlatSpinMan
09-04-2010, 08:38 AM
My verdammt PC has finally given up the ghost after suffering some unknown but crucial problem a year or so ago. I haven't played IL2 at all in over a week. To be honest I didn't think it would bother me but actually it really does. I keep seeing pictures, reading stories, imagining missions that I just want to simulate. I just LIKE it! I love the fact I can fly a Brewster buffalo and defend Finland against the Soviets, or Germany against the USAAF, or whatever. I miss the ability.

A lot of it is just habit/addiction, but a lot os also just that it is fun.

I'm almost hoping that my PC can't be repaired so that I can convince the wife to upgrade so that I can at least play RoF, if not BOB.
Unfortunately, the last two PC's were chosen by me with gaming in mind, but both cra pped out within a couple of years, so the next one my wife will choose, so all talk of graphics cards etc will largely go out the window.

Wish me luck, gents.

AndyJWest
09-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Alternately, you could upgrade the wife... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Only kidding. Not having access to a PC these days is like losing a leg or something. You have my sympathy. And good luck with your other half...

Metatron_123
09-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Il-2 is the definition of a classic! I started playing when I was around 14 years old and now I am 22! Imagine still being addicted after all these years.

FlatSpinMan
09-04-2010, 09:58 AM
especially through all the changes that occur between those ages. for me it was since I was 26-ish, I think.

Andy - the thought does cross the mind, from time to time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

M_Gunz
09-04-2010, 11:51 AM
If you could come up with a solid reason why those other PC's crapped out, would it help?

If it was hardware failure then the #1 usual cause for that is heat, which can be dealt with. Best way around that but most women won't accept is to run with a side panel removed from the box. However frequent cleanings and some extra fans properly placed may do the trick.

#2 cause is 'dirty power' in from the wall. Spikes, overvoltages, undervoltages, all that bad stuff happens in many places. I have 'fixed' computers in places that -ate computers- partly by having a line conditioner brought in. 15 years ago when a UPS cost a bundle I had them buy Tripplite Line Conditioner. When I moved here and saw what my line power did to my monitor picture I found a reasonably priced UPS and when I got a buddy to understand the need to ground his hardware (he used a 3 prong cheater plug and put a power strip on that **for over a year** and kept doing major repairs every few months) then he got a UPS as well and no big hardware problems since. There are places where they put the 3 prong sockets in the walls but --don't hook the ground sockets up-- so it's not hard to be -not grounded- and not know it. Yes, really! It is something that can be checked and you'd be surprised at how long things will still run that way. Those 3 prong adapters are for electric drills and such, not for delicate electronics.

All of which leads to the question of what part(s) of this machine crapped out and which are still good? If the much needed video card is still good then why not transport it. If most of the parts are good then repair and upgrade in one step by replacing the bad parts making sure you get a new power supply too.

If you don't know tech then consider what it has cost you not only in bucks but time without your IL2 fix! There's lots of good tech learning sites and not really a huge amount of learning involved. It's better if you have a friend who knows more than the least and has a backup PC you can swap parts in and out of to run some triage with while you learn. There's only one tool needed, a cross-tip screwdriver, but a cheap electric meter to check power with can be a real time saver.
They should teach these things in school. Wood shop, metal shop, plastics shop, auto shop and PC shop. Instead they expect people to go pay out the wazoo at computer stores and repair shops. Man, you don't need that!

ytareh
09-04-2010, 12:20 PM
You really dont want to let your wife spec your pc -nor get one from Dell etc unless youre paying $1000s(Y000,000s?)You will be kissing goodbye to IL2 let alone BOB SOW if you do...No DIY build is so easy nowadays -unless theres a REALLY good shop or small company nearby doing custom builds cheaply youd be mad to do otherwise...In my opinion the Windows install and drivers were always the hardest part anyway and Windows 7 does all that for you anyway ...Go for it!With some cases and component combinations you wouldnt EVEN need the trusty Phillips/crosshead screwdriver-although personally Id always use screws to secure big graphics cards .IF all went smoothly it could be up and running in an hour or two although Id allow a long evening /night as a novice

M_Gunz
09-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
No DIY build is so easy nowadays

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I hope you're joking!

WTE_Ibis
09-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I think he meant "No, DYO buid is easy nowadays"
cheers.

ytareh
09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah ,a comma can make a big difference !I meant that it was easy to build your own PC -probably easier than most IKEA projects!

skarden
09-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I feel your pain FSM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
I'm in the second part of my Army training at Puckapunyal and haven't played for almost 5 months,I got myself a very decent lappy after leaving kapooka (basic training)which I'm pretty sure would smash it but after spoiling myself at home with my X-52,rudders,Trackir ect. I just cant play it without all my proper set up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif (esp. my tackir).Only 2 weeks till I get to my unit though and get all my gear shipped down,happy days http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

Good luck with the computer mate,is yor wife susceptible to a little bribery perhaps? maybe a change of tactics may be in order http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

x6BL_Brando
09-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I built rigs one-handed for the last 14 years - it's cheap(er) and easy too.

B

M_Gunz
09-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah ,a comma can make a big difference !I meant that it was easy to build your own PC -probably easier than most IKEA projects!

Thanks, I was wondering if something happened that I completely missed. Installing XP was painless for me, it's getting everything I want loaded and tuned that takes so long.

Brando:
I built rigs one-handed for the last 14 years - it's cheap(er) and easy too.

And if any corners were cut, you know where they are and how to change them.

Really FlatSpin, do you know what parts of your rig died? I had lightning strike get my previous and even that didn't take everything. Pretty damn near everything though.

If your wife gets to pick the new one, try and steer her towards a mid to full size tower with good power. Then you can get a video card, memory, etc for Christmas or something. But whatever you do.. don't let on! You'll end up with a netbook.

Treetop64
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
It is impossible to overstate the advantages of building your own rig. The only difficulty is doing the pre-build research in finding the right hardware, at the right prices, that would give you the best overall package for your particular needs and budget.

Stiletto-
09-04-2010, 10:47 PM
What others have said about building your own computer Rig. If you can't repair what is broken, take a little time to learn how to build a system, or find a friend that can help you.

For as much time and effort into mission building, and the experience needed to build good missions and campaigns, really learning how to put the hardware together is simpler than learing the il2 mission builder!

You could get something close to state of the art for less than 500 dollars. I would look at whatever your wife is considering getting, look at that price point then look at how much more you could get if you put it together yourself and try to sell her on that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If all else fails, make sure it has a PCI-E slot so you can atleast upgrade the graphics card down the road, for your birthday or christmas or something. You'd be surprised at how cheap a good graphics card can be on ebay.

Xiolablu3
09-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I repair PC's for a living, maybe via pm or this thread we could get you going again?

FlatSpinMan
09-07-2010, 08:16 AM
You guys are utterly hopeless, you do know that, don't you?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif These are the kind of responses that keep me coming back here - in most quarters people would say, "Dell is great!"

Anyway, I appreciate all the helpful advice. M_Gunz - that was interesting to hear about the 'dirty-power'. Never crossed my mind, and in Japan there is no earth pin on plugs anyway. It could well be that, or it may be overheating (that'd be my first guess, given that the night time temp here for the last few months has been 27 degrees centigrade).

ytareh - if we do go the Dell option (promise me you guys will still talk to me!)I have a couple of better options eyed up. The point about the PCI thing was news though. I'll check for that.

I'm still hopeful the thing can be repaired easily. It's at the shop getting looked at now so I should find out in a day or so.
One day I'll build my own but not this time. I just don't have the time, and to be honest, the games I want to play are all a few years old anyway and besides that, with two kids 3 and under, a fulltime job, a part-time MA, and being virtually the housekeeper here, I only get about an hour a couple of times a week, so right now it's not a huge priority. I would like it to be but it'll have to wait.

As for persuading the CFO, I am quietly hopeful. Just this weekend she went to one of the electronics shops, looking for printer paper or something, saw a 42 inch flat-screen TV for a good price and bought it. It WAS a great deal - around US$650 - but still, she's not afraid to spend on goodies.

Chairman Xiao - thanks for the offer but I'm not confident enough in my abilities to even attempt it. Really appreciate it though.

rfxcasey
09-08-2010, 07:47 AM

This is the age of texting so we have no time for commas let alone proper spelling or grammar. U hv 2 B jkng TBQH IMHO IIRC WTF LMAO ROFL LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! !!!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Seriously, just make sure whatever you wife picks has at least 1 PCI-E x16 slot or your going to be hosed. I'm a contracted robotics technician at the Dell Winston-Salem plant and can attest to the fact that I will never buy a Dell.

FlatSpinMan
09-08-2010, 09:06 AM
rfxcasey - THAT is a telling comment. Hmm. Wonder what the PC repair place have found? Hopefully it's cheaply repairable.

M_Gunz
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
Anyway, I appreciate all the helpful advice. M_Gunz - that was interesting to hear about the 'dirty-power'. Never crossed my mind, and in Japan there is no earth pin on plugs anyway.

If your power outlets aren't grounded then you don't have to look any farther for the culprit that killed your computers.
I lived in one old place with 2-prong sockets that had all-metal plumbing right down to the drain. I ran a wire to that the second day I was there and never any problem. If you have a house then find the main electrical box where your power comes in. It should have a ground and if the electrician who put it in was worth his salt then the box itself should be grounded. If you still aren't sure then pound a metal stake into the ground outside a window and hook a decent thickness wire to that. As long as lightning don't strike close by you should be okay and if it does you're probably screwed anyway. Do they have homeowner's insurance in Japan?

Wonder what the PC repair place have found? Hopefully it's cheaply repairable.

You took it to a shop. Oh man! How do you define 'cheaply'? If you can't build your own then look for a package deal since a year after you build one PC the new ones all run 2x to 4x as fast for the same price. How much did you agree to pay them just to take a look?

Oh.. and stay away from Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, Tandy (under a lot of guises), Leading Edge and just about every name brand you can. They all have little or not so little proprietary twists built in to keep the fools that buy their junk having to come back to them for parts instead of being able to buy standard parts somewhere else. Well, okay, they do use some standard no-trick parts, or at least some do but it's still a PITA working on any of those at best. Back in the 80's Tandy sold PC-XT's that had card slots about 1/8" shorter than standard so you had to buy their cards at jacked-up prices to expand the reasonably low priced basic PC they sold. Even the floppy drives had a non-standard cable and connect to support a useless 'feature' so you couldn't use a standard drive that cost 1/4 as much. It's not that bad today but that kind of thinking is endemic in many corporations. Get the customer in, lock them in and sock it to them for all you can get.

Anyone who tells you Dell PC's are good should have to fix and upgrade a few. But first they should learn on standard computers that can use standard parts you can find at almost any mail-order store like Tiger Direct or New Egg.

Good brand name companies use industry standards. They make their money by being good, not by little BS "gotcha on that 'deal'" tricks. And they don't spend salary on market-a$$-hats to sit around thinking up ways to trap customers.

Xiolablu3
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
FSM, are you in the UK>? (I gather you are in Japan?)

I am sure we could sort it out on the phone?

Or do you secretly not want to fix it so you can get a new one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jarink
09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Saw this article on Tomshardware today.

System Builder Marathon Sep 2010 - $400 Gaming PC (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-build-a-pc-overclock,2739.html)

It's not a barn-burner (I wouldn't expect it for $400), but it looks like it or something similar would easily handle playing IL2. Note the cost does not include the OS.

doogerie
09-09-2010, 02:06 AM
if you really want good Pc DIY is the way to go I always get mine form Novatechyou can buy on line and thay even deliver go baire bons bundel and then add the grapics card and hard disk + windows 7 and you are good to go I am also updating at the end of the month too so yeah it's a good time to update.

FlatSpinMan
09-09-2010, 08:36 AM
M=Gunz - thanks for the tips. I live in a big apartment complex so there's no driving stakes into the ground for me. I'll check with the repair guy about the earthing issue.
Luckily the prelim check of the PC is free and then you just pay for whatever they fix. I really don't have the time or even the space to get into building a PC myself right now - everything in our house is always covered in sticky little handprints these days it seems, so there's no way I'd be able to carry out something like a PC build without one of the girls biting or licking the motherboard or something.

JaRink and doogerie - that kind of option appeals to me a lot - order what you want and someone else puts it together but like I said earlier, we'll probably go with a big name maker. My wife is Japanese so big names have even more clout than they do back home. I will try and wangle some compromises though.

PhantomKira
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I did the same. Custom build, by a computer place. You tell them what you want and your budget. They figure the best buildable system for the budget. Then, they do the build, so no little ones to use motherboards as teething equipment. I have a much better idea of what I have (it's not just "a computer", but an XYZ etc) and have learned a LOT more than I ever knew about my old Dell. Don't get me wrong, the Dell served me okay for years, but being able to know the ins and outs of the machine makes a huge difference. That and, of course, the fact that by doing the work yourself, you save money and get an infinitely better system for the money spent. I probably spent half what I did on the Dell origionally, and the system was probably close to twice as good. It's three years old and still capable of running all but the most hungry programs. Couldn't say that of the Dell, by any means.

The only problem was that I had a motherboard failure after 2.5 years and moving that I identified while the thing was still under warrenty, and shipped it half way across the country to have it fixed (US = big country = expensive!). I probably about broke even on that one, shipping costs ran about the cost of the new part (free under warrenty), but those guys who put it together knew the machine and where infinitely more helpful than the idiots at the local place (probably for good reason).

Realistically, I probably could have foregone the whole thing. It would have been simpler at this point to just get an upgraded board. They had to special order the new one, since it's so old a model that it's not to be found anywhere!

jarink
09-09-2010, 09:57 PM
My wife is Japanese so big names have even more clout than they do back home.

Just explain to her the parts inside the PC are all made by big-name manufacturers!

About the only advantage I've ever seen with a store-bought PC (besides not having to take the time to spec it out and put all the parts together - though that's the fun part!) is a simpler warranty. If it breaks, you can take it in to the dealer and get it fixed. With a DIY PC, you still get warranties on most (if not all) of the components, but they are all individual warranties, usually with the manufacturer. If a part goes bad, you have to pull it out and send it in.

WTE_Galway
09-10-2010, 12:20 AM

ytareh - if we do go the Dell option (promise me you guys will still talk to me!)I have a couple of better options eyed up.

If you go Dell avoid the U2410 IPS monitor it has serious bad kharma ...

http://en.community.dell.com/s...302919/19648044.aspx (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19302919/19648044.aspx)

On the other hand we have just bought a Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 IPS 27" for work and its stunning.