PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have one ability, what would it be and why?

GAOStarr
01-12-2011, 02:44 AM
While I was playing today, I randomly asked myself what I thought the all-time best ability is. This is very similar to, although not identical to, asking what one ability would you use if you could only use one?

Someone may believe that Slow Acting Poison is the best ability in the game because of its massive bonus potential, but their answer might change if they are reduced to one ability (so they wouldn't be able to combo Poison with Throwing Knives or Smoke).

In my opinion, I would have to say that Smoke Bombs are the best ability in the game. Whether Long Lasting Smoke Bombs or Rapid Reload Smoke Bombs, I am not 100% sure (although I tend to favor Rapid Reload Smoke Bombs).

If I could only use one ability instead of two, I would have to say Rapid Reload Smoke Bombs again.

Why? Smoke Bombs are great for offensive and defensive. Using a well timed Smoke Bomb before a kill is still the easiest way to get a +150 Focus Bonus. Also, Smoke Bombs can give you time to blend into a hiding spot without worrying about being stunned so that you can get the +200 Hidden Bonus. If you time it right, you can get Focus and Hidden. Smoke Bombs also allow for easy stuns. And if you're being pursued by multiple people, deploying a Smoke Bomb and making a run for it gives you a chance to evade both of your attackers (maybe even getting you a Double Escape).

So, those are my thoughts. I believe Smoke Bombs to be the best ability in the game, and if I could only use one ability, I would (again) have to go with Smoke Bombs for their multi-funtionality. (I forgot to mention that Smoke Bombs have a pretty short Cooldown in comparison to other good abilities such as Charge).

So, what are your opinions? What do you believe is the best ability for Multiplayer, and why? If you could only use one ability, what would it be? I'm interested to learn why people favor different abilities, and for what reasons.

Jack-Reacher
01-12-2011, 02:55 AM
For defence on manhunt it would be smoke bombs, no question.

I just played loads of games in manhunt without and abilities at all and played very good, so the only thing that really could have improved my score was well, poison. With the help of your team you can locate your targets all the time and use poison, not sure about wanted though

GAOStarr
01-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Oh, bringing team work into the equation; very nice!

DoctorEurope
01-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Smoke Bombs definitely.
Considering I get a decent amount of points from my stuns I feel like smoke bombs would definitely be the best ability for me to have.

Daassassinspwn
01-12-2011, 07:47 AM
that or disguise for wanted. for defensive manhunt definitely morph..

LeatherDaddy
01-12-2011, 08:01 AM
If this is for wanted, I think that I would take charge as my only ability. Free stuns on defense and easy pickin's on offense. And I have yet to see someone that can consistently counter it yet.

IPwnEverybody
01-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Morph.
For me the most useful trick on the game is hiding in a morphed group, because unless someone uses Templar Vision or Charge, which I feel ruins the game anyway, I've got good odds of being safe.
Smoke bombs are annoying because they allow stupid roofers to sit in a high spot, waiting for you to climb up, where the you can't possibly be stealthy, despite stealth being the point of the game, and then smoke bomb and stun as soon as you try and reach them. Smoke bombs are abused far too much.

IPwnEverybody
01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ngfritch:
If this is for wanted, I think that I would take charge as my only ability. Free stuns on defense and easy pickin's on offense. And I have yet to see someone that can consistently counter it yet.
People like you, to be honest, ruin the game. If the intelligent players (people who are patient and can hide well), can be automatically picked out of a group with a cheap trick like Charge, then they have no advantage over unintelligent players, which seems rather silly.

GAOStarr
01-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm learning a lot from this. Please, keep your opinions and ideas coming.

Also, I do admit that I've been frustrated when I'm trying to use corners and objects to determine which morphed persona is my actual target, and then another player simply walks up to the group and activates Charge. I feel like all of my planning and lining up my radar went for nothing. However, it is true that Charge can be countered fairly easily if the target is aware of their pursuer.

Also, after learning that one of my opposing players (in Wanted) was using Charge, I would always time Smoke so they Charged into it. Free Stun! Or, if we were after the same guy, I would use Smoke/Mute to render their Charge useless and take the kill.

I agree that Charge could be argued as a cheap move because it does so much of the work for you, but I also feel that it has very limited point potential. Yes, it can get you the kill or the stun with little trouble, but if that Charge spot were filled with Poison, Disguise, etc. you would most likely be racking in more points per kill for that match.

This is just my opinion, but in addition to responding to the original post, why don't you guys tell me how you feel about Charge? How have you discovered are the best ways to use it? Do you have effective methods for countering it? Do you like Vanilla Coke?

obliviondoll
01-12-2011, 08:39 AM
If I can still have my blender perk, I'll take Strong Smoke Bombs in anything but Manhunt offense (the wide radius is my friend), and when hunting, I'll take Firecrackers.

Otherwise, Morph and Firecrackers.

As for the questions about Charge - I'm terrible at using it, and respect players who are good with it (but enjoy slaughtering them regardless). Best counters are pre-emptive smoke + run, well-timed smoke + stun, pre-emptive run + climb (can't hit you when you're not on the same level as your pursuer/target), well-timed mute+stun, well-timed throwing knives, or just not being too offended by it - then remembering they used it last time and approaching the situation with the ability in mind next time you're against that player. Basically, knowing the guy is using charge makes it about 50x easier to counter. It's a good surprise tactic that fails when re-used. And Vanilla Coke is GOOD.

LeatherDaddy
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ngfritch:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by IPwnEverybody:
People like you, to be honest, ruin the game. If the intelligent players (people who are patient and can hide well), can be automatically picked out of a group with a cheap trick like Charge, then they have no advantage over unintelligent players, which seems rather silly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I'll have to disagree with you there. I play the game well and use all the tools I have available at my disposal.

Charge is just one counter to blender and morph. If the person is intelligent enough, they should be smoking & stunning me, or getting out of the way. They could also never let me get close enough to use it in the first place. I still consistently get incognito kills with it.

Just because you don't use it in any situations, doesn't make it cheap. L2 deal with it and stop complaining please.

inkyjinx
01-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Ability or perk?

Ability: Smoke Bomb. Rapid Reload please.

Perk: Blender.

WIDOMKR383
01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Ability: rapid reload mute all the way

Perk would definitely be blender

Why I just seem to have the best results mute is 3D smoke is not.

Edit: at least mute seems to be 3D if it is not.

DeanOMiite
01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
A lot of people are saying smoke bombs, but give me MUTE every day of the week! Can't wait to unlock the rapid reload version!

The reason I pick mute over smoke is because it activates quicker than the smoke. With smoke, while I do like it and it is my 2nd favorite ability, I find that I mess it up more often and throw it a split second late and die anyway...plus with smoke you have to be a little better about letting the guy get close to you, if you move towards him and throw it, you've cut your range down to a point where he can just enter high profile for a split second and kill you.

With mute though...I can identify my pursuer and walk right towards him, confident that it will work on my pursuer right when I want it to. I feel like I'm in the drivers seat with mute, but a little in the passenger seat with smoke.

obliviondoll
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Mute is a great ability for players who use it well, but I'm not one of them, which is why I say Smoke.

ArcadeSole
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Firecrackers for everything. But defense, Smoke. Offense, Decoy.

luth411
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Disguise or throwing knives- they're the two most versatile abilities in the game.