PDA

View Full Version : Wounding or shooting till they blow?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-29-2004, 10:16 PM
~S~

Was curious how many of you shoot aircraft just enough to wound them when there are mission objectives to be accomplished, or if you 'have' to get the kill and blast away till they explode or lawndart into the ground? With the many offline campaigns I fly, I tend to smoke and wound many aircraft when protecting bombers or have objectives to see go through. Helps trememdously when you need your wingmen about. Now I dont really see this happening much on AirQuake DF servers, but there are servers where teamwork is abundant at times. So what do you do? Shoot till they flame or wound and move onto the next bandit. Although I do keep in mind they can come back and bite me in the a**, its happend before. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-29-2004, 10:16 PM
~S~

Was curious how many of you shoot aircraft just enough to wound them when there are mission objectives to be accomplished, or if you 'have' to get the kill and blast away till they explode or lawndart into the ground? With the many offline campaigns I fly, I tend to smoke and wound many aircraft when protecting bombers or have objectives to see go through. Helps trememdously when you need your wingmen about. Now I dont really see this happening much on AirQuake DF servers, but there are servers where teamwork is abundant at times. So what do you do? Shoot till they flame or wound and move onto the next bandit. Although I do keep in mind they can come back and bite me in the a**, its happend before. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

clint-ruin
12-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Offline or against AI - you gradually learn to recognise the damage states that represent when a plane isn't long for the world. Sturmoviks and B-17s are notoriously tough to actually blow apart - but you only need a couple of rounds in the right place to disable them from continuing the fight, or make them 'eventually killed'. Once an aircraft gets to thick black smoke pouring out of the engine or a fuel tank, there's really not a lot of point in pursuing it further. For the sturmos even the thin grey smoke is enough to cause an engine shutdown in about 10 minutes time.

Depends how fanatical about killstealing and scores you are. Pilots who survived the war tended to be more careful about coming home, than getting that last confirmed kill rather than probable or damaged :>

You need to be very aggressive in combat, but there's no point getting killed by a gunner pursuing a bomber that's already completely stuffed.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-29-2004, 10:33 PM
I always do my best to make sure the AI opponents are out of the game. Many online gamers will attempt to head home when their crates have had it but the AI can be fanatical about things. I've seen 109s streaming flames go twisting towards the earth only to find them hot on my six on the way home after their fire went out. Sure the fire may crop up again but the plane is around just enough to ruin the ride home.

Dammerung
12-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Depends on the Target. Heinkels are the number one Complaint on hard to take down, but They dont just blow into pieces easily, but they'll eventually just lose so much lift that the crew will bail or spin it. If it's a Radial Engined fighter, I make sure to blast it to bits. I'm a bit more forgiving to inlines, cause they usually go boom by themselves.

civildog
12-29-2004, 11:03 PM
I keep putting rounds into the threat until it stops being a threat.

Generally, once it's belching out black smoke, burning, or missing a large part of it's tail or wings it is no longer a threat.

If it's a bomber I like to see those go down, but as long asit at least drops it's load before hitting the target because of my harrassment then I consider the job done.

LEBillfish
12-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Shoot em in the knee's then move on online and off.

JR_Greenhorn
12-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Normally getting heavy smoke was enough for me to move on, but lately (offline) I've been smoking one engine on a twin engined bomber, only to have the plane limp home and at worst make a wheels up landing on one engine near the airport. It's a bit frustrating, and since I'm playing alone, I've been getting in the bad habbit of really letting them have it before moving on. I've even harassed twins flying on one engine after I've run out of ammo just to try to get them to go down.

Perhaps all that's really wrong is that I need to work on my accuracy.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Oh, trust me, I am a bad shot, I leave most bombers to AI if I can help it, I concentrate on keeping my AI buddies(human if online and working together) six clear. If a bomber is close to their target, Ill pop a few shots off or buzz them to change direction, sometimes it gives me enough time to setup another buzz and get a good enough shot to make them drop their ordinance. I guess Im such a bad shot cause I fly bombers exclusively. Of course flying them also lightens me into their sweet spots when I have to take out bombers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

adlabs6
12-29-2004, 11:35 PM
I often have left a limping plane to find it's own end offline, as the mission and getting home are my top priority. Online I tend to keep shooting until the kill is mine, as there isn't much other point in a pure DF for me.

WUAF_Badsight
12-30-2004, 12:44 AM
ill let my bandits limp away if the flocking kill *****s will let them fly away as well

jeroen_R90S
12-30-2004, 04:10 AM
It depends on my mood ~ I watched a Bf 110C kill my trusted AI wingman in LaGG (he did bail out I noticed later) so I hunted it down, only to find the 110s wingman cutting from left to right across my sight.

In a reflex I squeezed the trigger and five nose guns of my LaGG poured lead into it's fuselage, right from the nose to the tail from about 10 metres. Looked awesome, black and white smoke coming out of it and pieces falling off. Needless to say I didn't see any parachutes... Should have the track somewhere.

Suddenly I realized why this game is so addictive.

BTW, it helps to give wingies some 'free' kills or make them go bomber-hunting. With only one or 2 kills, they'll go from novice to veteran, with the right tactics they are, although not perfect, much more useful than they were in the past. They actually clear your tail!

Jeroen

Tully__
12-30-2004, 07:29 AM
I tend to do the minimum necessary to ensure the target is out of the fight. If I get kill credit for it, that's a bonus.

LLv26_Morko
12-30-2004, 07:38 AM
well..in online wars (bellum,vef etc..)
its enough for me just to wound them ,if they turn back and run for it i let them go because
then i have achieved my mission goal,no use chasing them..but offline and dogfight servers
its fun to keep squeezing the trigger till they blow out of the sky..

carguy_
12-30-2004, 07:57 AM
I hate waste ammo because my overall accuracy is 7%.I down mostly one aircraft per mission,sometimes two.

PLease believe me I don`t have anything against Russian or latin pilots but most of the time they either blow my plane up or kill the parachuting pilot on purpose which I find to be a very unhealthy way of playing.Whenever I know I fight A Russian or Brazilian speaking pilot I sense real fear because there is not much chance of getting alive out of a fight in which I am wounded or damaged.

BTW I salute all pilots who either wait for one to bail or just say "bail out!".S!

I usually engage VVS so because their DM is seriously off course I must take off a wing although if I see black smoke I instantly disengage.Grey smoke or damaged wings in VVS fighters cost me many wingmen for which I was responsble at the debriefing.

If someone chooses to run away I follow him until he goes out the effective range.

No mercy for heavily damaged guys that attack my teammates.

Heavy_Weather
12-30-2004, 08:41 AM
I like to use loop tactics against bomber formations, building speed and climbing back up seems to help me the most. I normally try to take out the pilots and hopefully in one pass.

chaikanut
12-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Offline I try to finish them for two reasons:

The AI often dives in crippled aircraft and steals your kills.

Occasionally, a crippled aircraft without a pilot will keep flying. This happened the other day in the finnish campaign. I had a b239 and I shot off the rudder from an i16, the pilot bailed out. I then poured a 1sec burst into another i16, he blew up midair. Just before I landed I checked for any other aircraft with Ctrl-F2 and there was an I16 without a pilot fluying in loops. I have seen this happen with bombers too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

SkyPiggies
12-30-2004, 11:05 AM
I checked for any other aircraft with Ctrl-F2 and there was an I16 without a pilot fluying in loops. I have seen this happen with bombers too

Shoot off its elevators and you can get it to repeatedly loop-the-loop

Particularly impressive with a Pe-8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

73GIAP_Milan
12-30-2004, 12:33 PM
I tend to keep pouring ammo in my targets until it's seriously damaged or goes down.
Offline i'll make sure every target i engage goes down, so AI won't steal my kills.
Online i just damage them enough to either force a bailout, crash them or damage them so badly they're out.

This all reminds me to something happening yesterday OFFLINE:
I was shooting Heinkel He111's and 1 shot out my engine, but i got one shot up so bad that he was spiralling down slowly.
so i landed, not able to return to base and stopped my plane, switching views to see how my shot-up He111 was doing.
All of a sudden i noticed it got flying OVER the place where my plane stood.
You might guess it by now - It was about to crash, and that happened only 10 in front of my aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Like the pilot aimed for it...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

ausmondo
12-30-2004, 01:40 PM
I usually give 'em a bit of a touchup and make 'em look untidy, then look for the next target.
Its suprising how often they hit the ground, even if they don't, they are out of the fight.
(Hopefully)
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OldMan____
12-30-2004, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy_:
I hate waste ammo because my overall accuracy is 7%.I down mostly one aircraft per mission,sometimes two.

PLease believe me I don`t have anything against Russian or latin pilots but most of the time they either blow my plane up or kill the parachuting pilot on purpose which I find to be a very unhealthy way of playing.Whenever I know I fight A Russian or Brazilian speaking pilot I sense real fear because there is not much chance of getting alive out of a fight in which I am wounded or damaged.

BTW I salute all pilots who either wait for one to bail or just say "bail out!".S!

I usually engage VVS so because their DM is seriously off course I must take off a wing although if I see black smoke I instantly disengage.Grey smoke or damaged wings in VVS fighters cost me many wingmen for which I was responsble at the debriefing.

If someone chooses to run away I follow him until he goes out the effective range.

No mercy for heavily damaged guys that attack my teammates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brazilian language do not exist.. we apeak potuguese :P

georgeo76
12-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Disabled is as good as dead. Even when the guy manages to get home and land, your still awarded w/ a kill. (I fly online). Now kill stealing is an issue, but I've learned to cope w/ that.

I've found that 90% of the times I get shot down, it's because I was chasing some bandit when I should not have been. Settling for critical damage increases survivability.

Bearcat99
12-30-2004, 06:32 PM
I just want to take them out of the action. Since the AI is so good at stealing kills I dont bother trying to rack them up anymore. If I do then i do but if he is wounded, off my wing's six, or heading away from the fight i leave it alone.... uinless all mission objectives have been reached or in the case of a fighter sweep ther are no more targets but that one.. but usually by then if I am offline evry AI plane left is trying to get him too....LOLLO.

Atomic_Marten
12-30-2004, 06:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by _VR_ScorpionWorm:
~S~

Was curious how many of you shoot aircraft just enough to wound them when there are mission objectives to be accomplished, or if you 'have' to get the kill and blast away till they explode or lawndart into the ground? With the many offline campaigns I fly, I tend to smoke and wound many aircraft when protecting bombers or have objectives to see go through. Helps trememdously when you need your wingmen about. Now I dont really see this happening much on AirQuake DF servers, but there are servers where teamwork is abundant at times. So what do you do? Shoot till they flame or wound and move onto the next bandit. Although I do keep in mind they can come back and bite me in the a**, its happend before. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends, but in general, or in most cases, I just tend to wound them. I find no big pleasure in disintegrating planes.

I know how I feel when I hear 'plink-plonk' sound on my fuselage, and I like if my enemy let me to bail and live.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

About online I agree mostly to georgeo76. About 40% of my kills are stloen, but I do not care. Anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Extreme last case of K/S was when I disable P40s engine and the guy was descending toward water. I buzzed over him in A6M2, and when he was touching the water I see another Zero shooting at him and of course taking credit.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PBNA-Boosher
12-30-2004, 06:55 PM
I shoot it enough. It really depends on the plane.

109: holes in wings, or engine on fire
Fw-190: Until it's on fire, or until the wing gets chopped
He-111: Smoking engines (heavy grey or black)
Ju-88: until I get black smoke from it
Japanese planes: when I get results... (hehe)