PDA

View Full Version : The Periscope View bobs toooooo much!

TeAcH
04-10-2005, 07:13 PM

TeAcH
04-10-2005, 07:13 PM

hobnail
04-10-2005, 07:56 PM
It's not rising and falling, the sub is rolling and pitching and your POV is coming from a pole 15ft off-axis.

If you're having trouble using the stadimeter, pause the game whilst you take a distance reading.

TeAcH
04-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Okay, the "pause cheat" would work. Thanks for the tip.

I see your point. Makes sense. Just wondering if it is a little overdone. Seems so (still) to me but...

Lovo_Kasistan
04-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Reality can be a cruel mistress... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
04-10-2005, 08:05 PM
You have to remember that what you're seeing through the periscope is magnified 1 1/2x or 6x, so any pitching and rolling your boat is doing will tend to magnify the problem. If anything, the periscope view should probably move more.

TeAcH
04-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.

stereophobia2
04-10-2005, 08:10 PM
If yougrab a mop or broom at the very yip of the shaft, move your hand a very small ammount and the head will move alot more than you would think, add to that the fact that your view is magnified and its suprising that the view dosent bob arround more

RoughRaider1
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
I was gonna say what Stereo said, but if you going to pause the game to get readings, why not just disable the unstable optics option?

Mjollnir111675
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Regardless of displacement or as you said 'heavy subs', weight isn't an issue.
Bouyancy is the key here along with the current ocean state being the lock.

So even if you are @ peri. depth yer 'weight'/displacement matters little.

Think about a car swept away in a flooded river. Weight wasn't an issue. What normally gets the car moving is its bouyancy which lifts it up and gives the water something to get underneath and use its force against. Which then can be fun to look at cuz the water will roll it and tumble it and eventually crush it.
In the end,the water cared lil bout its weight!
Now if it were cemented to the ground the water would find other ways of dealin' with it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But in an active sea state yer boot is @ the mercy of the current ocean state and swells.
Just cuz a wave is rollin' on the surface doesn't mean that anything directly below isn't rolling as well.
In fact the wave state is directly related to all goings on underneath fer bouta 100 ft.
After that depth it is the current which takes over. Current that may be moving in another totally diff. direction. Thus an ideal set up fer undertows.
Periscope depth is hardly a fair enough depth to NOT be affected by the oceans surges.
Now given the same sea state and say a 200 ft long periscope you will be free of the swells and undercurrent and the only deciding factor of any movement will be the periscope itself and currents @ depth. Which are mellowed out just by being a liquid.
If a periscope were wide and thick enough one could see it as a sail.
But being as it is long and slender it wont affect much.
BUT its NOT 200 ft high therefore,
you are @ bout 10-15 mtrs. under the swells.
That is close enough to move a Boot with considerable force.
SO No is what my vote would be.
I dont agree.
But I have been under the sea @ 120 feet and lemme tell ya the tides do affect you that deep.
Irs crazy to be just sorta layin on the bottom but to watch nearby waves and then feel them move you as they roll over 20-80 ft above. Shur @ depth it takes a lil longer to reach you but the movement will happen!
And I know if the waves can move a body at that depth I can only conclude that a large boot @ 10-15 mtrs from profile will move MORE than what is modelled. Especially @ high sea states.

xwhitemousex
04-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Without using the "pause cheat", how do you really get a good range solution then?

As far as I see, there's just two ways...

Either get close enough that you can get a good range with the periscoped un-zoomed, which gives less motion on the horizon line and stadimeter tool.

Or... you just set it approx. at the waterline of the ship, use the stadimeter tool, and let the horizon line sorta fall back to the waterline of the ship, then quickly click the stadimeter line at the top of the mast.

Latter one is a bit more gimpy and gives alot of room for an offset range solution. Is that really how they did it tho? Or they get close enough to do range without zooming?

I was trying to get range solution several times on a ship approx 2.5km away from me, and it was a P.I.T.A. even at calm seas at 5kts wind. Tried to get closer to the ship, but bastage huffed away from me at 9kts and my silly IIA only pushes 7kts at full speed submerged =(

Anyways, getting range solution is pretty hard at more than 1-1.5km, regardless of seastate.

Also...

Can someone tell me why the UZO is fogged out, or completely white when I look to the front of the sub between bearing 340-020? You get very short instances where you can actually see through the white fog...

Yes, I know its probably the water washing up from the bow of the sub, since its gone at full stop. I find it a little unrealistic that the UZO is completely blocked by seaspray though when the sub is going 3kts in calm waters and I cant even see any white seaspray at the bow from the bridge. Once I hit UZO tho, its all fogged out at 340-020...

Oh well =p

archer49d
04-10-2005, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, I know its probably the water washing up from the bow of the sub, since its gone at full stop. I find it a little unrealistic that the UZO is completely blocked by seaspray though when the sub is going 3kts in calm waters and I cant even see any white seaspray at the bow from the bridge. Once I hit UZO tho, its all fogged out at 340-020...

Oh well =p <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you have an nVidia graphics card and particles get zoomed out of proporation. The fix is hit Alt-p (not 100% sure on the exact kep combo, someone else will know) and it turns particles off. When your done hit it again to turn them back on. ("Particles" are the little things that make up your bow wave)

AdEridanus
04-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I find it alot easier to measure the ship against the hash marks on the scope. That way I can follow the swaying of the ship/seas with the scope and see how "tall" the ship is in marks, then I just open the stadimeter and measure out the number of marks form there. Much easier than attempting to use the stadimeter to get a direct measurement.

finchOU
04-10-2005, 11:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AdEridanus:
I find it alot easier to measure the ship against the hash marks on the scope. That way I can follow the swaying of the ship/seas with the scope and see how "tall" the ship is in marks, then I just open the stadimeter and measure out the number of marks form there. Much easier than attempting to use the stadimeter to get a direct measurement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto...this is the way to do it to minimize error IMHO. slide the ship to the tick marks and see how high the mast goes....move it back to center so you can select the stadimeter (this is another thing I dont like: haveing to center a ship use the stadimeter) and find range..exactly!

Pr0metheus 1962
04-10-2005, 11:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xwhitemousex:
I was trying to get range solution several times on a ship approx 2.5km away from me, and it was a P.I.T.A. even at calm seas at 5kts wind. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my view 2.5Km is too far out for a good shot, and it's too far to get an accurate range reading anyway, especially if the sea isn't calm. I always try to get to 1000m or less, and I never shoot at over 1500m unless it's some mighty prestigious target that is travelling much faster than I can.

xwhitemousex
04-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks, I'll try the Alt+P thing, hopefully that works. Was kinda annoying since I want to use the UZO in the surface to shoot at nighttime, as well as wanting my bow pointing at the ship hehe.

Hopefully there will be a fix of some sort with nVidia cards so we dont have to juggle with the particles to use the in-game tools.

And yeah, 2.5km is too far for a shot, but I was approaching it and just wanted a rough reading on his range, but alas, bobbing made it kinda impossible heh.