PDA

View Full Version : Some observations.. reality vs. fantasty?

Olebrond
06-06-2005, 12:08 PM
1. Weren't there night binoculars, that were much larger and designed to either use bigger lenses or were special in some way to help see ships at night?

2. On a setup with a very good firing solution, the sub at 0 speed, enemy troop transport 600 meteres ahead, at 355 angle. I open the outer door, L lock on target one more time, release lock, and position it over the fuel bunker, under the cranes forward of its bridge. Torpedo is set to impact, 4 meters.
WHY is it impacting under the stern, or the bridge area?? Are there pre-designated 'hit' zones, and since I missed (somehow) the fuel area, the torpedo goes to the next 'hit area'??

3. The weather is horrifically strange. Near Gibraltor, I've gone from 8, 9, 0s, to sustained 15 wind speed storms for days/weeks on end.

4. The lack of one major impact is very telling.. no food needed for my zombie crew. They never need new supplies, fresh water, or anything. They have beds to sleep in, but the developers neglected to take supplies into consideration.

Ole

P.S. Don't reply if you're simply going to say 'yes', or some other one liner, followed by an annoyingly large sig file. Its silly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hopkins32
06-06-2005, 12:45 PM
In reply to part 1 = not 100% sure on the binoculars but the mounted one on your sub is just that.

in reply to part 2 = no pre-designated 'hit' zones if your are playing the game on realism settings that you have to manually set the torpedo data there is two reasons for stun and aft hit 1 is torpedoes do not run 100% true and when you time the ship to get is speed you do not always get the correct speed. for example it may be doing 6 knots you get a time of 4 knots.

in reply to part 3= Actually weather is not strong enough. some storms toss today's aircraft carriers around so it would be hell on your little U-boat

in reply to part 4= as for food that just being a little petty don't you think i sue done want to spend my time feeding my crew they can eat the **** hanging in the control room .

Olebrond
06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Hopkins,

I don't want to wave a little fork icon over each member of the crew, that would just be stupid. I am saying... that you could theoritically sit with your uboat near a spawn location INDEFINITELY, maybe attacking a convoy and only taking the largest ship from each one.

BDU doesn't issue a recall, or 'what the heck are you doing out there?'. Your crew is somehow surviving on air and diesel fumes only.

Thanks for your replies however.

The more I play, the more gaps I find in this software, unfortunately.

Ole

hopkins32
06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
i see what you mean. I would have no abjection to a food and supply meter as long as i had a re-supply request command for my radio man. I think a lot of people would like that.

Olebrond
06-06-2005, 02:49 PM
SH 2 wouldn't be an option, as this is my first sub sim/game ever.

I had to wonder why I read so much frustration in all the messages on here, and I think its because the idea is great, some aspects of the game are great, but;

the implementation was sloppy
it was rushed out the door to meet a publishing deadline
promised features didn't make the release
the staff (out of fear/loathing/self preservation) have less than minimal contact with the players

I'll keep playing, as I'm semi hooked on it, but some things are frustrating. However, no cheating and tagging only one ship from each convoy. That'd be like adjusting your realism levels right before kills, then switching back, if that is a doable 'cheat' (wouldn't know, just guessing).

Ole

hopkins32
06-06-2005, 04:09 PM
As i understand the the makers of the game are working on an expansion, I and may other people hope it will fix many of the things the game that is lacking such as the radar just to name 1 and add in a lot more . There have been Rumors of AI wolf packs but game fixes are the most important, personally i find it to be a fantastic game with i grate game engine. Give it some time they seem to be really working to make the public happy with there patches but stay away form the 1.3 patch or your sonar man will be worthless.