PDA

View Full Version : Hiding in clouds after patch

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 11:41 AM
I have read somewhere that this problem with AI (their seeing through clouds) seemed to be addressed in the patch, though it isn't mentioned in the readme file. As I was looking forward for this to be happening, I tried to make some tests to determine if I could rely on clouds now to hide when playing offline, which is mainly how I use the game. Not being a very good pilot, and due to the intrinsic difficult nature of the testing, I have not been able to reach a definite conclusion.

Has anyone been in the right situation as to conclude where the AI actually sees through clouds or not now? It is something that really affects the way you fly. Before the patch I have always try to avoid clouds because AI was at an advantage there. Does anyone really know?

Kuikueg

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 11:41 AM
I have read somewhere that this problem with AI (their seeing through clouds) seemed to be addressed in the patch, though it isn't mentioned in the readme file. As I was looking forward for this to be happening, I tried to make some tests to determine if I could rely on clouds now to hide when playing offline, which is mainly how I use the game. Not being a very good pilot, and due to the intrinsic difficult nature of the testing, I have not been able to reach a definite conclusion.

Has anyone been in the right situation as to conclude where the AI actually sees through clouds or not now? It is something that really affects the way you fly. Before the patch I have always try to avoid clouds because AI was at an advantage there. Does anyone really know?

Kuikueg

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm still in two minds over this one too.
I have experienced occasions where the enemy AI appear to lose me when I'm in cloud cover, but have also seen evidence to contradict this.
Maybe it's related to the skill of the AI you're flying against?
I'd be interested to know what others think.

S! Simon.
<center>

<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font>
http://extremeone.4t.com/images/sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:02 PM
I`ve been trying to find this out too. There have been a couple of occasions where I`ve flown through cloud with a 109 on me- then it`s gone⬠But was it intercepted by a friendly? I did see one occassion when an AI Jerry plane chased a wingman into cloud shooting...
Personally I doubt it...

I still have to keep testing...

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
A word from the developpers about the change being intended or not would be much appreciated, I think.

Kuikueg

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Kuikueg wrote:
- A word from the developpers about the change being
- intended or not would be much appreciated, I think

The air of mystery could very well be intentional.

S! Simon.
<center>

<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font>

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:24 PM
This isn't something like a FM which you have to work out for yourself. Knowing if the clouds are hiding you is esential to the way you fly. In real life you KNOW that the cloud is going to hide you, so the only reason I can imagine to keep this in mistery is that they tried to do it but it didn't come out very well.

Kuikueg

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Kuikueg wrote:
- This isn't something like a FM which you have to
- work out for yourself. Knowing if the clouds are
- hiding you is esential to the way you fly. In real
- life you KNOW that the cloud is going to hide you,
- so the only reason I can imagine to keep this in
- mistery is that they tried to do it but it didn't
- come out very well.

Fair comment.

I was actually joking but on reflection I realise it seems a pretty silly thing to say.

S! Simon.
<center>

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know if clouds are in different positions on all computers? A number of times i have flown into clouds to avoid an enemy on my six online no labels on no padlock game but people seem to be able to see you still, one thing i noticed is if you put clouds on lowest quality with il2 manager 3.1 they seem to blink on and off on my computer anyways, just wondering if thats what people are doing for an extra exploit advantage.

I was just wondering whats the deal with it if anyone knows.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif

Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Every time I have flied coops with my friend we have bee able to refer to clouds positions without confusion so they must be in the same place. About being able to avoid them being drawn in your own computer, I don't know, but be sure that if it is possible someone is exploiting it. I have shot down planes inside clouds anyway, a couple of lucky guessings whe we both had entered the cloud close.

Kuikueg

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Clouds are in same place to all online (unless there`s a cheat I`ve not heard of). One point I`d like to make is the fact that we can`t immediately tell whether AI can see thru clouds or not is promising. Before it was quite easy to work out, maybe something has been done, but Olegg`s crew `s keeping qiuet to see if it works,,, (I guess we are beta -testing again)...

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 01:23 PM
When you have checked detailed clouds I believe you see clouds others don't see (You see more and/or bigger clouds with that option turned on) when they don't have detailed clouds turned on.

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 01:26 PM
you can disable clouds all together in graphics setup in IL-2.

So if weather type is cloudy and there are clouds around, if you have clouds enable you'll see them but others don't have them enabled they won't see them!

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 01:28 PM
No.1RAAF_edin wrote:
- you can disable clouds all together in graphics
- setup in IL-2.
-
- So if weather type is cloudy and there are clouds
- around, if you have clouds enable you'll see them
- but others don't have them enabled they won't see
- them!

I dunno whether you mean IL2 or FB, online or offline, but you cannot disable clouds when online at all. Period (as the Americans say).

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 01:30 PM
hm...online I've never looked but ofline you can desable them...I think...hm...think I'll better check right now.

EDIT: You're right...online clouds can only be set to Medium but can't be disabled. Ofline though clouds can be disabled.

Message Edited on 08/17/0311:34PM by No.1RAAF_edin

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 03:41 PM
SeaFireLIV wrote:
- Clouds are in same place to all online (unless
- there`s a cheat I`ve not heard of).

There is in fact a cheat that allows one to see through the clouds. Dont think they are just lucky shots /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

<center>http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/images/uk654.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 03:47 PM
No.1RAAF_edin wrote:
- you can disable clouds all together in graphics
- setup in IL-2.
-
- So if weather type is cloudy and there are clouds
- around, if you have clouds enable you'll see them
- but others don't have them enabled they won't see
- them!
-
-

You can disable the advanced geometry of the clouds. You cannot make them disappear, only make them look crappy.

edit: going to on online server to check. I hate being wrong, but want to know if I am anyway.

http://www.cherokee.org/Culture/images/proctorZeke.jpg
"My ancestors didn't come over in the Mayflower--they met the boat."

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612345111

Message Edited on 08/17/0310:49AM by tsisqua

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Well the other day I was cloud hoping with a LA7, we kept loosing each other. Went on for over 5 minutes, when we did see eachother neither had a clear advantage. He did manage a coupla shoots and hit something, didn't realize it until he broke off for home. As I was landing I noticed a smoke trail behind me.

Roy Baty
IV/JG51 M√¬∂lders

"Be happy in your work!"
- Col. Saito

<center>http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/images/mash_henry_blake.jpg (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/)</center>

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 06:57 PM
I did a test a few days ago to check this. Got the Jerry on my six and dove into a cloud. Probably half-way into the clouds tracers start flying past my canopy. This test of course isn't completely conclusive, but I think it's fair to say they can still see inside clouds at least some of the time.

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 12:38 AM
If someone could think of a well design test we could come up with a reliable answer to this annoying question. Because 1C is not going to tell us anyway.

Kuikueg

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 12:45 AM
This clouds question is beginning to bug me,,, can`t say yes, can`t say no. I fly missions, but often can`t get into a situation when I`m chased in cloud by AI.

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 01:14 AM
AI can still follow U in the clouds and even take aimed bursts at U when inside clouds and U make e.g long turns to left or right and climb at the same time. And this was at normal AI level.

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 05:29 PM
bump

Non Solum Armis