PDA

View Full Version : Y3 Season 2 initial impressions.

Knight_Raime
05-03-2019, 12:03 PM
I encourage other people's first experiences with the new season as well. (positive or negative.) Let's get this started!~

New hero Hikitori:

I'm probably going to butcher that forever d: anyway, I'm enjoying her so far. First hero I can say that on release I enjoyed fighting against as much as I enjoyed playing them. She's super safe with her "combos." Since her heavie's are safe from feint GB and she has an armored light finisher. Her kick/sweep mix up is more situational than I thought it was going to be.

And her chase down tool while better than nature's wrath still feels a bit weak. Really as far as her kit goes the only major issue I have is with her hitboxes. Outside of her zone and charged side heavies it seems impossible to hit people near you. Her feats are really great but could use a tiny bit of clean up. But i'll get to that later. Overall the theme of an excutioner seems well done all around. You can literally do anything with the hero input wise so it doesn't feel like you're forced to memorize certain inputs or mix ups. Which is nice. Having a "gimmick" is nice. But if your entire kit revolves around it that's massive pressure on the kit's viability. Not having a gimmick in her kit frees her from this burden.

"Reworks:"

Overall I think a passable job was done. LB and Raider are far more fun for me to play. They both still have some issues that need ironing out (but what rework doesn't?) I still yearn for a more flexible long arm. And I still dislike how high tier play for both is still turtling. But I don't expect much these days. I'm just glad they feel cleaner to play now.

New map:

Honestly not much to say here. Probably visually one of the best if not THE best map ever made. Kinda disappointed that it's not dominion compatible. But at least I get to experience it in duels. Maybe this will be the push to get me to venture into Tribute finally. Kudos to the team who designed the visuals again. really top notch.

New UI:

Again a stellar job. My one complaint is some of the text in dominion can cover up the public chat for pc players. Beyond that though the UI in duels and 4's is a lot better. Simple but gives enough detail. No obnoxious icons or messages where vital visuals are. GG.

Negatives:

Going to end on some low points. I've noticed more frame issues on xbox one since the patch. At least most noticable on gauntlet. But some dips occur in other maps. I am aware that LB's OOL game and the bugged recovery on Raider's zone's are being fixed asap. But still noting them as negatives. LB's unblockable heavies are too easily avoided. Raider still has dodge into GB/CGB. Raider has a 600 and 700ms light and does waaay too much damage for some attacks. Hitikori's kick/sweep mix up is a little too easily dealt with. Her dodge attack is not good enough. Oh and the fact that we can earn less steel and exp than pre patch is disgusting and should be addressed immediately.

I didn't go over everything because frankly that would be too much to type. I do greatly appreciate the new perspectives on executions though and the ability to skip the rewards screen. two great QoL additions. As with every new season there are some highlights and some bumps. I'm looking forward to seeing what may change in the next two or so weeks. And even more excited for that mid season patch. If you guys address disengage tools properly we will be basically experiencing a brand new for honor. Something that hasn't happened since the parry changes in season 5. Thanks again for your hard work. Looking forward to continuing to play your guy's game.

rottmeister
05-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Isn't it Hitokiri instead of 'Hikitori'?

Anyway I'm excited to try out the Hitokiri next week and see what changes the patch brought!

Sneakly20
05-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Positives first:

I am quite enjoying the new hero. As a samurai myself itís nice to feel that beginning power. Of course itís probably new hero syndrome atm. Otherwise the hitokiri is fantastic when you get into your opponents face. The variable timed heavies and unblockable on demand are great.
Never felt to good to trade with a zerk more than once and win in the end :)

The Lawbringer is ok but I dropped him awhile ago, not against him but he just doesnít appeal anymore. His improvements are definitely helpful but not too much the higher you go. I will say it is purely muscle memory that has caused me to Be hit with the shoveafter a missed top heavy finisher from lawbro.

Raider is alright. Donít play him and still wonít regardless of strong or weak he is. He just doesnít do it for me. I see myself getting stunned a lot more in 4s and somewhat more often in 1s when Iím not paying attention. The interrupted charge is a godsend for this game. Otherwise the improvements for him are better and help out but like LB this gets weaker the higher up you go. Iím not sure about the increase in damage as it wasnít needed in the first place but Iím confused on why thereís is a 22 damage finisher top light. And Iím not talking damage, I have no clue why itís 700ms light either. Iím very confused on this decision.

Played a few tributes on new map. Absolutely stunning and once again good work.

The UI update is fantastic. Canít go wrong there. However I do wish when you are dead the text is not in the middle of the screen.

The adjustments to ? temple garden ? Are good, the moved tomb and wider pillars are awesome, and I guessed I missed it when they filled one of the two holes in the fence at point A that overlooks the map.

Now the negatives:

There has been some major issues as far as frame rate goes for Xbox. Probably new season with new stuff. But please look into this.

Hitokiri mixup is a little too easy to avoid. However this also a spacing thing. If you are in her face and you back dodge the sweep you will be caught. The tracking for Hitokiri is random. Sometimes the sweep will go a mile and sometimes it goes nowhere. I need to do additional testing as well as the forward throw, light into heavy, kick into heavy OOS punish.

And finally the rewards for a match need to be fixed. Thatís my two cents.

RealJayDee1984
05-03-2019, 07:41 PM
The adjustments to ? temple garden ? Are good, the moved tomb and wider pillars are awesome, and I guessed I missed it when they filled one of the two holes in the fence at point A that overlooks the map.
I really don't see the benefit in the changes. One less ledging point I get, but why make the A zone as a whole smaller? I liked it the way it was. Also I really don't like the changes to the Brawl version of the map. It's one of the best looking maps they have, and now they've imprisoned the brawlers into a dull, closed-off courtyard? Not a fan at all.

chukblok
05-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Honestly all in all I am impressed at the level of quality that is still being pushed out for a game entering its 3rd year. I see the same people complain each and every season.....but oh well.
Maybe im always too much of a cheerleader...(but i mean have you played anthem lately?).

-New hero is amazing as far as im concerned. you can tell a lot of time gets put into these new heroes. small balance issues aside.
-Reworks seem overall decent. Some people are not happy with LB and i cant really speak to that. whats not to like about Raider re-work tho? They listened....
-New map is awesome
-New effects are great
-Art team did good job on new weapon sets...i mean they listened. less bling all around it appears which is something i posted about before.
-Good tweaks to existing maps.
-Music and voicework on new hero is awesome.

Negatives for me...
-still no new breach. but i get them trying to open up tribute a bit and i may actually start playing.

honestly very impressed. This hero is NOT what i was expecting and follows the originality of the game. High hopes for viking hero now.

UbiInsulin
05-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Thanks Raime and co. for the notes.

I'll let the team know about the overlapping Dominion text. Which messages do these tend to be? A screenshot would be great if anyone has one.

Xeith98zz
05-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Did they reset matchmaking again? I have been placed with people that I cant even kill for the past two days.

DaytimeRaider
05-03-2019, 09:44 PM
Are you able to tell the team about the fact that their new Steel system isnt being taken well and we would rather have the origional with some improvements added onto it?

Meanpie13
05-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Both LB and Raider still need a lot of work. LB is still sub-par at initiating and sustaining offense. At the very least, his shove after heavy should at least be sped up a bit and he should have some hyper armor. Raider is game breaking OP now and needs a serious nerf. All he needed was a faster light starter, a few more chains, and for his stunning tap feint to be more variable timing so you couldn't just dodge the mix-up. His heavy mix-ups are way too strong now. Stunning tap is infuriating. It's hard to block even when you know it is coming and your block indicator flickers on both the side he is feinting his heavy from and the top at the same time, so you can't even tell which one it is until after you take the hit. To add insult to injury, it does 18 damage. On top of that he can soft feint his heavies to a GB? Who thought that was a good idea on a character like Raider who than then proceed to carry you across the map while draining your stamina? Also, the hyper armor on his heavies is a bad idea. I understand that you wanted there to be a reason to chose his regular heavy over the unblockable finisher. Thematically, it just doesn't fit; Raider is a Vangaurd and isn't wearing armor. Balance wise, it's not something he needed. It just makes him stronger in an area that he didn't need to be stronger in and he's that much more of a pain to fight.

Xeith98zz
05-04-2019, 02:09 AM
Sakura isnt wearing armor, why should she get loads of HA?

Knight_Raime
05-04-2019, 02:15 AM
Both LB and Raider still need a lot of work. LB is still sub-par at initiating and sustaining offense. At the very least, his shove after heavy should at least be sped up a bit and he should have some hyper armor. Raider is game breaking OP now and needs a serious nerf. All he needed was a faster light starter, a few more chains, and for his stunning tap feint to be more variable timing so you couldn't just dodge the mix-up. His heavy mix-ups are way too strong now. Stunning tap is infuriating. It's hard to block even when you know it is coming and your block indicator flickers on both the side he is feinting his heavy from and the top at the same time, so you can't even tell which one it is until after you take the hit. To add insult to injury, it does 18 damage. On top of that he can soft feint his heavies to a GB? Who thought that was a good idea on a character like Raider who than then proceed to carry you across the map while draining your stamina? Also, the hyper armor on his heavies is a bad idea. I understand that you wanted there to be a reason to chose his regular heavy over the unblockable finisher. Thematically, it just doesn't fit; Raider is a Vangaurd and isn't wearing armor. Balance wise, it's not something he needed. It just makes him stronger in an area that he didn't need to be stronger in and he's that much more of a pain to fight.

If LB's shove was sped up it would be guaranteed on block. That's why mid chain shove was brought up from 300ms to 500ms. Both his neutral and combo shove have armor already fyi.
I agree that Raider and LB could still stand to be looked at. My only issues with Raider's rework was the increase to damage on some attacks. Him still having dodge into GB is what annoys me most. That and two of his lights are slower than 500ms.

Berzerker doesn't wear armor and he's an assassin. That's nothing to do with thematics. It's about design intent. They decided they wanted Raider to be about trading. So they sped his heavies up and gave him armor.

JaguarNova7
05-04-2019, 05:16 AM
Lawbringer is broken now pushes are way to slow, can be easily dodged liked the push counter after a block, you killed it, no more light spam protection he plays like garbage now in my opinion. I donít like the changes, thanks, I donít play raider but Iím assuming you broke that char to? Giving up on lb for someone else I was starting to like him to. Uh I would say keep up the good work but please put the keyboard down and stop making unneeded changes and as for the new character, also stupid in my opinion. Would like to see something else maybe a scythe user katars or hand to hand user, just something different I may be alone in my opinion but Iíll still share it needed to vent thank you. Hope you decide to fix law bringer so he can actually fight he was a turtle now heís a turtle without a shell lol

Xeith98zz
05-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Hopefully they dont nerf him in the dirt again.