PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubi milking AC?

fanofthecreed
08-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Don't get me wrong I am obsessed with AC just ask any of my friends, but I've read a lot of people complaining about how fast the games come out so thought I'd make a poll. In my opinion I think that yes they are milking but as I saw someone else say "Let them milk it!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Serrachio
08-20-2011, 05:04 PM
I voted for the first option.

I do sort of get the impression that the series is being milked slightly, but as long as they work hard on the games and make them worth playing, then I guess it's not all too bad a thing.

Then again, I would like it if there was more of a pause between the games, because if you look at it from the point of AC2, it does seem to have been pushed out at an increased pace.

Brotherhood wasn't the best in the terms of depth of story, but I'm hopeful for Revelations.

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Yes, they are making money off of it. The thing that impresses me is that after they've been told by the producers/guys who make the desicions, "You must make one AC a year", they're given enough new employees and budget to actually make it work. They know that they have to make one every year, but instead of whining or taking the easy way out, they USE that as an opportunity to create the best game possible, so AC only gets more polished and has more content with each game. Brotherhood was a little dijointed, but they've gotten a lot of new hires and studios working on Revelations, and they learned a lot from Brotherhood in terms of an efficient design process, so what they've accomplished with Revelations seems a lot better and more complete. Also Darby Mc Devitt is an awesome writer, so...

Poodle_of_Doom
08-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I voted with the last option. I did so because I felt similarly to Serrachio, Brotherhood really wasn't the best in the terms of depth of story, and seemed a little short to me....

xx-pyro
08-20-2011, 06:20 PM
It's their job to make money. The games have all been quality in my eyes, so at this point a game a year doesn't bug me. If Revelations isn't a quality game, then that will re-evaluate my opinion.

If they have the resources to create one quality AC game a year, then they should. They get more money, we get more games. Win-win.

The only time that changes is when/if the games become sub-par, which is subjective in most cases so don't bother quoting me telling me Brotherhood sucked.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 06:26 PM
I voted for the first option. They've been doing an awesome job so far.

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Brotherhood was good, but not as good as AC2. you could tell that it wasn't as good from the hype before release. the ONLY new feature were recruits, killstreaks and parachutes, each of which was a really small addition.

Revelations sounds a lot better, which I can assume is due to the extra people and studios being taken on to add more to the game.

If Revelations is as good as it should be, then there's nothing wrong with yearly releases, as long as they bring more people on every time.

Altair661
08-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I voted for the 1st option as well. While I dont think it's comeplete milking. Ubisfot is making money from it. Lots. They cant help it. It's not like it's a huge multiplayer game that is just coming out every year. (Not meaning to take a shot at COD) It has a story. They are continuing the story as it should be. However I do wish they took a little more time just to polsih it up and make sure it's the best it can be. Like with Gears 3, it was done and was supposed to come out in April, they held a beta and they've had nearly half a year to polish both the singleplayer and multiplayer. I dont want to wait every two years for all the AC games, if we did, we'd just now be getting ACB. And would have to wait 2 years for ACR. I can wait for AC3, take as long as you need. Because pretty soon their gonna get to AC3 or whatever the end is, and it'll be like 5 games in the span of 6 years, and then it'll be done. Which would really stink to just run through the series. But then again dont pull a Half Life 2.

So, there not entire milking it. They're not doing this BECAUSE it's making them money. They're doing it simply to continue the story. BUt take as long as you need for AC3, because im expecting a change from ACR to AC3, like it was from AC1 to AC2.

Chamboozer
08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
They're milking it for money yes, just like every other company in every other branch of the entertainment industry is just in it for a profit (and the enjoyment of their job to a certain extent). There's nothing unusual or wrong about it.

ProdiGurl
08-20-2011, 07:47 PM
When a game starts repeating itself & being too similar & getting boring or quality starts degrading, it's probably starting to be milked.
I got bored of Halo real quickly & quit playing it. (and to think Halo Reach was one of my choices instead of ACB) *shudder* lol

I didn't vote bcuz I haven't played the entire series to give a knowledgeable reply yet.

But coming from the perspective of only playing ACB, this story was super in-depth [to me] becuz I'm not familiar with it prior and I come from an FPS background which is usually shallow & that's ok with me. =)

I guess it's just not as in-depth as the others were.
But this forum has me really intrigued with learning more about Altair.

A ps~ when you have a story like this, it can go on for a very long time using new scenarios & characters, I HOPE they continue milking if that's what they're doing.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
When a game starts repeating itself & being too similar & getting boring or quality starts degrading, it's probably starting to be milked.
I got bored of Halo real quickly & quit playing it. (and to think Halo Reach was one of my choices instead of ACB) *shudder* lol

I didn't vote bcuz I haven't played the entire series to give a knowledgeable reply yet.

But coming from the perspective of only playing ACB, this story was super in-depth [to me] becuz I'm not familiar with it prior and I come from an FPS background which is usually shallow & that's ok with me. =)

A ps~ when you have a story like this, it can go on for a very long time using new scenarios & characters, I HOPE they continue milking if that's what they're doing.
Ugh, don't remind me of Halo: Reach. I hope 343 Studios will do a better job at continuing the Halo storyline than Bungie did with this last piece of junk (story-wise at least).

ProdiGurl
08-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Ugh, don't remind me of Halo: Reach. I hope 343 Studios will do a better job at continuing the Halo storyline than Bungie did with this last piece of junk (story-wise at least). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep LightRey - the whole thing went to crap and it didnt' take long. My friend was a Halo fan & told me Reach was great . . but then at the same time, I was sick of it & the SAME enemies & scenery/weaponry . .
it got monotonous.
He told me about ACB & on a whim I just picked it becuz I was making a large order & got a bigger discount if I just picked one more game than the ones I intended to get.
I made the right choice and got OBSESSED with this series.

Before I buy one more Halo (if another one is released), I'm doing my homework on it.
It soured me on Sci Fi until I got Mass Effect 2.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Ugh, don't remind me of Halo: Reach. I hope 343 Studios will do a better job at continuing the Halo storyline than Bungie did with this last piece of junk (story-wise at least). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep LightRey - the whole thing went to crap and it didnt' take long. My friend was a Halo fan & told me Reach was great . . but then at the same time, I was sick of it & the SAME enemies & scenery/weaponry . .
it got monotonous.
He told me about ACB & on a whim I just picked it becuz I was making a large order & got a bigger discount if I just picked one more game than the ones I intended to get.
I made the right choice and got OBSESSED with this series.

Before I buy one more Halo (if another one is released), I'm doing my homework on it.
It soured me on Sci Fi until I got Mass Effect 2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, last E3 they announced Halo: Anniversary (which is a remake of Halo: Combat Evolved) and Halo 4. They'll be released November this year and sometime next year respectively.

Chamboozer
08-20-2011, 08:13 PM
It soured me on Sci Fi until I got Mass Effect 2.

Indeed. Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the crown jewels of video games and all others should seek to learn from them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SixKeys
08-20-2011, 08:20 PM
They are absolutely milking it. As long as there's no significant drop in quality, I don't mind.

Biomedical-Fire
08-20-2011, 08:25 PM
To each their own I guess, I throughly enjoyed every iteration of the Halo Universe. I think that ODST should've been just an expansion say like Oblivion's "The Shivering Isles" and Dragon Age: Origins Awakening, but still enjoyed it nonetheless. I have faith in 343 since the majority of the team are made up of former Bungie guys that worked on Halo while with the studio.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Biomedical-Fire:
To each their own I guess, I throughly enjoyed every iteration of the Halo Universe. I think that ODST should've been just an expansion say like Oblivion's "The Shivering Isles" and Dragon Age: Origins Awakening, but still enjoyed it nonetheless. I have faith in 343 since the majority of the team are made up of former Bungie guys that worked on Halo while with the studio.
I have my hopes. I just think that the Halo: Reach story was crap, that's all.

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 08:38 PM

I thought that Halo: Reach had a great storyline. It was a different style of story. It was about goodbyes, not epic space adventures, and there were tons of new or redesigned enemies and amazing vistas. It was a great goodbye to the franchise.

In comparison, Brotherhood was terrible. Halo: Reach was better than Halo 3 in ways that Brotherhood didn't even scratch AC2.

Halo Reach was not even close to an example of milking. It introduced so much new gameplay, and so many new locations. And it had the classiest ending of ANY halo game.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

I thought that Halo: Reach had a great storyline. It was a different style of story. It was about goodbyes, not epic space adventures, and there were tons of new or redesigned enemies and amazing vistas. It was a great goodbye to the franchise.

In comparison, Brotherhood was terrible. Halo: Reach was better than Halo 3 in ways that Brotherhood didn't even scratch AC2.

Halo Reach was not even close to an example of milking. It introduced so much new gameplay, and so many new locations. And it had the classiest ending of ANY halo game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought it was terrible. The characters were extremely unappealing and they killed them off before I could even remember their names. I also, contrary to the other games, had a lot of trouble actually being aware of what exactly I was doing during almost the entire game. At almost no point was I sure just why I needed to fight my way to some point or why a particular machine needed to be destroyed.
Really, the only character I felt sorry for when he died was Jorge and that was mostly because he was a SPARTAN II.

xCr0wnedNorris
08-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Brotherhood was good, but not as good as AC2. you could tell that it wasn't as good from the hype before release. the ONLY new feature were recruits, killstreaks and parachutes, each of which was a really small addition.

*Cough*Brand new multiplayer*Cough*

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 09:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

Halo Reach was not even close to an example of milking. It introduced so much new gameplay, and so many new locations. And it had the classiest ending of ANY halo game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought it was terrible. The characters were extremely unappealing and they killed them off before I could even remember their names. I also, contrary to the other games, had a lot of trouble actually being aware of what exactly I was doing during almost the entire game. At almost no point was I sure just why I needed to fight my way to some point or why a particular machine needed to be destroyed.
Really, the only character I felt sorry for when he died was Jorge and that was mostly because he was a SPARTAN II. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The reason why you were doing all of that stuff was not at all complicated: it's a war. You do anything you can to destroy the enemies' equipment or troops.

I had a lot more trouble following what I was doing in Halo 3.

The characters are really interesting if you pay attention to their unique characteristics and the ways the interact with each other.

The reason you didn't get to know them very well is because war is not a place where you sit around and build character. Expecially if you're facing an enemy that cannot be stopped by
the weapons your side possess.
Even so, there was buckets more character development than in halos 1-3 combined. Every single character in halo besides Cortana or the Arbiter was an extremely one-note character who remained totally unchanged at the end of everything. Emile begins as a guy who enjoys killing too much and with a tough guy attitude. By the end, you know him well enough to know that he's intensely loyal, and ready to do anything, including stay behind while Six escorts Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn. Kat begins as a distrusting figure. By the time she dies, we're just beginning to really know about here playful and creative personality. The greatest tragedy of the whole game is that oyu never get to truly know these characters of varying ethnicities and backgrounds. They die. And why? because they dared to fight back. Because war is hell, and unlike every other video game story, Halo realizes that sometimes, not everything turns out ok.

If you compare the story of halo reach to Killzone, or any other FPS, you'll see that it's a lot more original and thought provoking. How many games start out by telling you that you will lose, and then follow through on that through actual gameplay of you fighting till you truly die?

Anyways, even if you don't like the campaign, the Multiplayer and custom options are the best of any Halo game to date.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 09:30 PM
The reason why you were doing all of that stuff was not at all complicated: it's a war. You do anything you can to destroy the enemies' equipment or troops.

I had a lot more trouble following what I was doing in Halo 3.

The characters are really interesting if you pay attention to their unique characteristics and the ways the interact with each other.

The reason you didn't get to know them very well is because war is not a place where you sit around and build character. Expecially if you're facing an enemy that cannot be stopped by
the weapons your side possess.
Even so, there was buckets more character development than in halos 1-3 combined. Every single character in halo besides Cortana or the Arbiter was an extremely one-note character who remained totally unchanged at the end of everything. Emile begins as a guy who enjoys killing too much and with a tough guy attitude. By the end, you know him well enough to know that he's intensely loyal, and ready to do anything, including stay behind while Six escorts Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn. Kat begins as a distrusting figure. By the time she dies, we're just beginning to really know about here playful and creative personality. The greatest tragedy of the whole game is that oyu never get to truly know these characters of varying ethnicities and backgrounds. They die. And why? because they dared to fight back. Because war is hell, and unlike every other video game story, Halo realizes that sometimes, not everything turns out ok.

If you compare the story of halo reach to Killzone, or any other FPS, you'll see that it's a lot more original and thought provoking. How many games start out by telling you that you will lose, and then follow through on that through actual gameplay of you fighting till you truly die?

Anyways, even if you don't like the campaign, the Multiplayer and custom options are the best of any Halo game to date.
I said why exactly I was doing those things in the game. Of course I need to destroy stuff and kill guys in a war, but what exactly are these things I'm destroying and why is it strategically important to focus on them? I know these things are explained in the game, but I never really picked up any of it during my first few playthroughs.
In the other Halo games I was always aware what my mission was, why my sub-objectives were what they were and what the impact of unexpected events had on them. During my first playthrough of Halo: Reach I wan't even sure what the plan regarding going into space really was.

About the characters, what you're referring to is not character development, but rather just learning about the character. Their characters don't even get the chance to develop. They give a first impression, then you find some stuff out about what they're like, then they die, the end.

I would agree that the storyline of Halo: Reach is far better than that of most other FPS's, but it was not nearly as good as what I have come to expect from Halo games.

The Halo story was never good because of anything regarding the characters. It barely had any character development and there wasn't much depth to them either. However, what I always found endearing about the Halo story was the complexity and mystery of the Halo universe, which was extremely well thought out. There were so many backstories to events and structures, sometimes even entire planets, in the game, which made it all just so interesting. In Halo: Reach they almost completely ditched that concept and instead tried to make the characters more deep and appealing, which, as I've explained, I feel they failed horribly at.

I agree that the gameplay in Halo: Reach is great. It probably has the best MP of all the Halo games, but I'm not really a fan of MP and thus I don't really care that much.

flyingeaglemile
08-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I voted the last option, yes I do think Ubi is milking AC and while Brotherhood was still good think how much better it would be if it was coming out this year. I can wait an extra year if it means that the game will be significantly better with Brotherhood I felt Ezio's story just wasn't that good, I didn't know much about who was killing for the whole game and it was over too fast.

ProdiGurl
08-20-2011, 09:39 PM

That's what was happening to me - I kept losing track of the entire story. I kept getting lost everywhere (lots of area to cover & move on to) and one battle just blurred into the next.

By the time Reach came out, I had little interest other than some people said it was great. Well - that wasn't enough for me to spend $30 on (or whatever it was, I forget).

@ Calvarok, I'm sure it might have been good & different, but I'm much happier with my AC choice. If I get a wild hair at some point, maybe I'll buy Reach on the cheap when I'm low on games to play or something.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Chamboozer
08-20-2011, 10:08 PM
However, what I always found endearing about the Halo story was the complexity and mystery of the Halo universe.

This. The first two Halo games really felt like an exploration into the unknown, as you were traveling through places that were alien even to the aliens. The inclusion of the Arbiter as a playable character and the split of the Covenant religion caused by the discovery of the Halos caused the universe to feel deep and complex. Halo 3 changed the whole atmosphere from one of discovery to simplistic combat. After going through the Ark there was simply nothing left to learn.

That feeling carried over to Reach, we already pretty much knew what was going to happen, so the only way to make us be interested in the story was to make the characters interesting. If these were the first Spartans we had ever met, it would have worked, but we all care about Master Chief far more than we ever could about these new guys, so they never had much of a shot at being entertaining.

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Chamboozer:
However, what I always found endearing about the Halo story was the complexity and mystery of the Halo universe.

This. The first two Halo games really felt like an exploration into the unknown, as you were traveling through places that were alien even to the aliens. The inclusion of the Arbiter as a playable character and the split of the Covenant religion caused by the discovery of the Halos caused the universe to feel deep and complex. Halo 3 changed the whole atmosphere from one of discovery to simplistic combat. After going through the Ark there was simply nothing left to learn.

That feeling carried over to Reach, we already pretty much knew what was going to happen, so the only way to make us be interested in the story was to make the characters interesting. If these were the first Spartans we had ever met, it would have worked, but we all care about Master Chief far more than we ever could about these new guys, so they never had much of a shot at being entertaining. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Master Chief was never entertaining. And Reach's story was not one of discovery, but of a homage to everything Bungie had done before.

And Halo Reach had way more complicated combat than any other Halo game. It was also more varied and difficult.

Chamboozer
08-20-2011, 10:21 PM
I found him entertaining, Bungie knew their limits when it came to creating a faceless character and limited his emotions accordingly. They also came up with a plausible backstory that would allow him to be relatively silent without it being strange. He was serious at all times, but just sarcastic enough to convey that he's not just a robot. The way he speaks with Cortana in Halo 2 & 3 conveys the feeling of two lovers being alone and cut off from the rest of the world, which is figuratively the case in the beginning because of the war, and literally the case at the end because of the destruction of their ship.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 10:23 PM

That feeling carried over to Reach, we already pretty much knew what was going to happen, so the only way to make us be interested in the story was to make the characters interesting. If these were the first Spartans we had ever met, it would have worked, but we all care about Master Chief far more than we ever could about these new guys, so they never had much of a shot at being entertaining. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The worst thing is, I felt more sad about Spark's end than I did about that of any of the characters in Halo Reach.

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chamboozer:

The worst thing is, I felt more sad about Spark's end than I did about that of any of the characters in Halo Reach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hated spark, and his death scene was the worst part of anything in halo. He was supposed to be an epic boss fight, and he failed at being that.

Noble team was supposed to be a senseless waste of loyal and heroic people, who in the same circumstances as chief could have survived to the end. they succeeded at being that. They were all awesome in cutscenes and gameplay, and they died like they were just men and women after all. Which was the point.

This game was not about a galaxy wide heroic never-die mission. It was about the best of the best, faced with impossible odds, and all their skills and technology not being enough to cheat death. But they fought anyways, until the inevitable end, one by one.

Halo 1-3 were great, but their stories were so much less mature than that. Epic awesome guy drops in, explodes everything, flies off to cliffhanger. End of series. Sure, the relationship with Cortana and the action surrounding it was fun, but as a cohesive narrative, it was not that great. The halo books have much better stories, mainly because they're not afraid to tackle compelling topics and kill characters, or portray them as anything other than totally unstoppable. In particular, you should read Halo: Cryptum. It's a halo story of a far different style than even Reach. The main character doesn't kill anyone in the entire book. In a HALO book! And somehow it's still the best one ever written.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I hated spark, and his death scene was the worst part of anything in halo. He was supposed to be an epic boss fight, and he failed at being that.

Noble team was supposed to be a senseless waste of loyal and heroic people, who in the same circumstances as chief could have survived to the end. they succeeded at being that. They were all awesome in cutscenes and gameplay, and they died like they were just men and women after all. Which was the point.

This game was not about a galaxy wide heroic never-die mission. It was about the best of the best, faced with impossible odds, and all their skills and technology not being enough to cheat death. But they fought anyways, until the inevitable end, one by one.

Halo 1-3 were great, but their stories were so much less mature than that. Epic awesome guy drops in, explodes everything, flies off to cliffhanger. End of series. Sure, the relationship with Cortana and the action surrounding it was fun, but as a cohesive narrative, it was not that great. The halo books have much better stories, mainly because they're not afraid to tackle compelling topics and kill characters, or portray them as anything other than totally unstoppable. In particular, you should read Halo: Cryptum. It's a halo story of a far different style than even Reach. The main character doesn't kill anyone in the entire book. In a HALO book! And somehow it's still the best one ever written.
Again, Halo was never really about the characters and they should never have tried to make it so (in the games at least). Spark was annoying, but at least he actually did enough stuff to become someone to relate to, as opposed to any of the characters in Halo: Reach.

Halo was never supposed to have characters with depth. It was never about that. Halo was about figuring out what the hell the Halos were, who built them, how to stop the flood, how to end the war, where the confusion within the war was coming from, what the essense of the Covenant religion was, etc. They even deliberately tried to give the Master Chief as little distinguishing characteristics as possible, so that he would be universally relatable.

It really doesn't matter what Noble team was for. Their "struggle" was just really one thing: boring. They barely had any depth and they were so uninteresting I had to actually put a lot of effort in listening to what they had to say if I wanted to know what the hell was actually going on.

But beyond everything the game lacked the one thing that was always so important in any Halo story, be it one of the games or one of the novels, and that is a strong link to the bigger picture. The only part of the game that had anything to do with the bigger picture was the part of Mendicant Bias Dr. Halsey found and uploaded to Cortana and besides the fact that they were much too casual about that, they barely gave it significance to the story. Hell, even in ODST there were still tons of references to bigger things. Not to mention that ODST did a much better job at giving the characters depth.

Halo had always been about the bigger picture, but Reach just completely ignored that and instead told a lame story about a team of Spartan III's (and one Spartan II), which imo were already the least interesting of all the Spartans.

Animuses
08-20-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't remember joining a Halo forum. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I guess it's just a matter of opinion, then. I found Reach's story more personal and relatable than any other Halos, and there was a lot more depth to each character than even the ones in ODST, who were all basically copy and pastes of generic movie soldier characters. There are so many more moments with Noble Team which convey so much more emotion, and the facial capture technology helps tell so much of the story with no words. If you go into ANY halo not paying attention to what's going on , you miss out on a whole lot of the depth of the story. I did that for Halo 3, and only on relays did I see that it wasn't that bad. (although nowhere near as good as 1)

And yes, Reach was important in the big scale of things. You're forgetting that without noble team, The Pillar of Autumn would have been melted in half by a glassing beam, with everyone in it, including John 117, killed.

I expect that my views on Halo are somewhat different than yours, seeing as I absolutely hated how dragged out and deseprate to be epic Halo 2 was. I think if I didn't like Halo 2's story, I'm not a typical halo fan. But all I can say is I enjoyed ODST and Reach's stories above all other ones, mainly because they told a personal one, not one where the entire universe hung in the balance.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 11:20 PM
I guess it's just a matter of opinion, then. I found Reach's story more personal and relatable than any other Halos, and there was a lot more depth to each character than even the ones in ODST, who were all basically copy and pastes of generic movie soldier characters. There are so many more moments with Noble Team which convey so much more emotion, and the facial capture technology helps tell so much of the story with no words. If you go into ANY halo not paying attention to what's going on , you miss out on a whole lot of the depth of the story. I did that for Halo 3, and only on relays did I see that it wasn't that bad. (although nowhere near as good as 1)

And yes, Reach was important in the big scale of things. You're forgetting that without noble team, The Pillar of Autumn would have been melted in half by a glassing beam, with everyone in it, including John 117, killed.

I expect that my views on Halo are somewhat different than yours, seeing as I absolutely hated how dragged out and deseprate to be epic Halo 2 was. I think if I didn't like Halo 2's story, I'm not a typical halo fan. But all I can say is I enjoyed ODST and Reach's stories above all other ones, mainly because they told a personal one, not one where the entire universe hung in the balance.
Agree to disagree I guess. Though I would like to comment on the thing you said about Halo: Reach being part of the bigger picture. I wasn't so much talking about the consequences of the events in Halo: Reach, but rather the significance of the information about the Halo universe that can be found in the story. The only thing that's in the game is what I mentioned, and they really barely give notice of it. They didn't even elaborate on the huge underground structure. They just went there, killed some Covenant, retrieved Cortana and then went on their way.

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 11:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

Agree to disagree I guess. Though I would like to comment on the thing you said about Halo: Reach being part of the bigger picture. I wasn't so much talking about the consequences of the events in Halo: Reach, but rather the significance of the information about the Halo universe that can be found in the story. The only thing that's in the game is what I mentioned, and they really barely give notice of it. They didn't even elaborate on the huge underground structure. They just went there, killed some Covenant, retrieved Cortana and then went on their way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's pretty much what happens in the Halo games when they find a covenant structure. They say that something built it, they say what it does, and then you kill normal enemies for it.

LightRey
08-20-2011, 11:47 PM

Agree to disagree I guess. Though I would like to comment on the thing you said about Halo: Reach being part of the bigger picture. I wasn't so much talking about the consequences of the events in Halo: Reach, but rather the significance of the information about the Halo universe that can be found in the story. The only thing that's in the game is what I mentioned, and they really barely give notice of it. They didn't even elaborate on the huge underground structure. They just went there, killed some Covenant, retrieved Cortana and then went on their way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's pretty much what happens in the Halo games when they find a covenant structure. They say that something built it, they say what it does, and then you kill normal enemies for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I disagree. The better part of Halo: CE is about figuring out what Halo is. Then there's the flood, which they find out is what Halo's for. The entire game is basically about finding out just what Halo('s purpose) is, which eventually leads to the decision to destroy it.

Then, in Halo 2, the focus turns more to the Covenant and why they're fighting the humans, which leads to figuring out all that "Great Journey" stuff is all about and how they could be so horribly wrong. On top of that there's a whole new Halo they find and more flood, even a Gravemind, which further deepens the issue of the flood. Eventually in the end there's all this stuff about 7 halos and the Ark, which is one of the many biblical references in the game, which of course sparks all kinds of ideas about just how the biblical stories fit in to all this.

Then finally in Halo 3 there are absolutely tons of references to the bigger picture. There's the Ark, of course, but also the conversations between the Didact and his lover the Librarian, which were most likely the Halo equivalent of Noah and his wife. There's Mendicant Bias and his story with the first Gravemind and Offensive Bias. There's the reference of Spark to the Shield Worlds and there's the fact that the Ark was also a Halo factory. Finally, there's of course the mysterious (Forerunner) planet-structure in the legendary ending.

These are just some of the many references in the games to the bigger picture and keep in mind I'm leaving out ODST, Halo Wars, and the novels.

It's these things that are what Halo is all about. Halo is about being on a crazy roller-coaster ride, but if you look around you can see that there are all these much more crazy/awesome things around you and it's these things that I missed the most in Halo: Reach.

Biomedical-Fire
08-20-2011, 11:56 PM
All I know is that my Noble Team statue looks good in my glass case with my Play Arts Kai Noble Team statues! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Back to the topic, I chose the last statement. Yes I feel that it's beginning to be milked, but Ubi can milk it all they want, as long as they wait at least a couple of years between games and give us quality over quantity. Oh, and universal CE's! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

odovoro
08-20-2011, 11:59 PM
oh yes! how they malik it! ( see what i did there XD ) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
but even if they malik it to the bone the fans would always buy it
but let's face it all the companies are milking their products

Jamison_J_B
08-21-2011, 12:04 AM
I voted for the first option.

I don't mind a AC game every year...as long as it has a worthwhile story, and makes sense to the canon.

I'll admit that after playing brotherhood, I am very excited to get Revelations to see what was going on with the ending.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 12:28 AM

That's pretty much what happens in the Halo games when they find a covenant structure. They say that something built it, they say what it does, and then you kill normal enemies for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I disagree. The better part of Halo: CE is about figuring out what Halo is. Then there's the flood, which they find out is what Halo's for. The entire game is basically about finding out just what Halo('s purpose) is, which eventually leads to the decision to destroy it.

Then, in Halo 2, the focus turns more to the Covenant and why they're fighting the humans, which leads to figuring out all that "Great Journey" stuff is all about and how they could be so horribly wrong. On top of that there's a whole new Halo they find and more flood, even a Gravemind, which further deepens the issue of the flood. Eventually in the end there's all this stuff about 7 halos and the Ark, which is one of the many biblical references in the game, which of course sparks all kinds of ideas about just how the biblical stories fit in to all this.

Then finally in Halo 3 there are absolutely tons of references to the bigger picture. There's the Ark, of course, but also the conversations between the Didact and his lover the Librarian, which were most likely the Halo equivalent of Noah and his wife. There's Mendicant Bias and his story with the first Gravemind and Offensive Bias. There's the reference of Spark to the Shield Worlds and there's the fact that the Ark was also a Halo factory. Finally, there's of course the mysterious (Forerunner) planet-structure in the legendary ending.

These are just some of the many references in the games to the bigger picture and keep in mind I'm leaving out ODST, Halo Wars, and the novels.

It's these things that are what Halo is all about. Halo is about being on a crazy roller-coaster ride, but if you look around you can see that there are all these much more crazy/awesome things around you and it's these things that I missed the most in Halo: Reach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For Halo 3 , you're talking about the secret terminal things. If you've seen the secret Data pad things in Reach, then you'll know it reveals an even bigger secret, even though it's not related to the forerunners at all.

go onto halopedia and search up datapads to read them all. Reach was defiantely a rollercoaster ride. Start off with ground and close quarters combat at the initiation of the battle, then beat back the initial force at a secret military compound, do some stealth sniping and fast-paced skirmishes at night, go to a large scale classic ground assault, and just as the day seems to be won and the army brings in their most powerful ship, a covenant supercarrier uncloaks above and anihilates is.

Then you go to space combat, plant a bomb on a ship and fight through it to blow the supercarrier up with it's own ship, but you lose a team member in the process, then hundreds more supercarriers show up, making his sacrifice feel pointless and you fall to the planet.

Weeks later, you make your way to a major city which is under heavy attack. You link up with the remaining ground forces and escort the last civillian transports away.

You link up with your team, and do night ops in the seiged city to try to harrow the normal covenant ground forces and cut off their communication, and clear out many buildings of covenant (and the order and content of the buildings and missions you do is randomized, so you might get a different one playing through next time, on has a cameo of buck from ODST!) but watch helplessly as the real damage is done by the covenant supercarriers glassing the city. you go back to HQ, but HQ itself gets glassed by covenant and in the escape to the radiation bunker a covenant sniper manages to take out Kat because her shields had not charged up yet after the glassing knocked her helmet off and damaged her shields.

Weeks later, you emerge from the bunker, and launch an offensive against the HQ you previously defended on some shady orders to destroy it. You find that the orders were a sham, and your real objective is to secure a fragment of cortana that contains data on the forerunners, and return it to her whole form back at the Pillar of Autumn. After defending from covenant forces, you get Cortana, and leave with Doctor Halsey. Jun stays behind and escorts Halsey in separate pelican. The rest of noble team goes to the Pillar of autumn. The leader is injured by some banshees, and you and Emile bail out. you fight through some cave until you come face to face with a scarab. Your leader doesn't have enough weaponry to take it out, but as he says, his pelican has the mass. He sacrifices himself. You continue, and blow past some scarabs and ground troops before they can get a lock on you, then fight through several compounds to the shipyard itself, and then clear out all ground forces so Keyes can land his pelican. Emile mans the mass driver. As you hand off Cortana, Emile is killed by "elite" elites. You kill the troops and man the gun, covering the pillar of autumn and destroying the supercarrier so it can escape. the Pillar escapes, and so begins halo 1. Meanwhile, back on Reach, you fight agains endless waves of Covenant until you're almost dead, and then dual wield a pistol and assault rifle an kill high-ranking elites untill they surround and kill you. Your helmet lies on the desolate plane. Years later, after the events of Halo 3, Dr halsey gives your eulogy, and Reach is beautiful and green again, as a result of UNSC terraforming.

That's an action-packed ride in my definition. but year, agree to disagree, and check out those data pads!!!

LightRey
08-21-2011, 12:44 AM
For Halo 3 , you're talking about the secret terminal things. If you've seen the secret Data pad things in Reach, then you'll know it reveals an even bigger secret, even though it's not related to the forerunners at all.

go onto halopedia and search up datapads to read them all. Reach was defiantely a rollercoaster ride. Start off with ground and close quarters combat at the initiation of the battle, then beat back the initial force at a secret military compound, do some stealth sniping and fast-paced skirmishes at night, go to a large scale classic ground assault, and just as the day seems to be won and the army brings in their most powerful ship, a covenant supercarrier uncloaks above and anihilates is.

Then you go to space combat, plant a bomb on a ship and fight through it to blow the supercarrier up with it's own ship, but you lose a team member in the process, then hundreds more supercarriers show up, making his sacrifice feel pointless and you fall to the planet.

Weeks later, you make your way to a major city which is under heavy attack. You link up with the remaining ground forces and escort the last civillian transports away.

You link up with your team, and do night ops in the seiged city to try to harrow the normal covenant ground forces and cut off their communication, and clear out many buildings of covenant (and the order and content of the buildings and missions you do is randomized, so you might get a different one playing through next time, on has a cameo of buck from ODST!) but watch helplessly as the real damage is done by the covenant supercarriers glassing the city. you go back to HQ, but HQ itself gets glassed by covenant and in the escape to the radiation bunker a covenant sniper manages to take out Kat because her shields had not charged up yet after the glassing knocked her helmet off and damaged her shields.

Weeks later, you emerge from the bunker, and launch an offensive against the HQ you previously defended on some shady orders to destroy it. You find that the orders were a sham, and your real objective is to secure a fragment of cortana that contains data on the forerunners, and return it to her whole form back at the Pillar of Autumn. After defending from covenant forces, you get Cortana, and leave with Doctor Halsey. Jun stays behind and escorts Halsey in separate pelican. The rest of noble team goes to the Pillar of autumn. The leader is injured by some banshees, and you and Emile bail out. you fight through some cave until you come face to face with a scarab. Your leader doesn't have enough weaponry to take it out, but as he says, his pelican has the mass. He sacrifices himself. You continue, and blow past some scarabs and ground troops before they can get a lock on you, then fight through several compounds to the shipyard itself, and then clear out all ground forces so Keyes can land his pelican. Emile mans the mass driver. As you hand off Cortana, Emile is killed by "elite" elites. You kill the troops and man the gun, covering the pillar of autumn and destroying the supercarrier so it can escape. the Pillar escapes, and so begins halo 1. Meanwhile, back on Reach, you fight agains endless waves of Covenant until you're almost dead, and then dual wield a pistol and assault rifle an kill high-ranking elites untill they surround and kill you. Your helmet lies on the desolate plane. Years later, after the events of Halo 3, Dr halsey gives your eulogy, and Reach is beautiful and green again, as a result of UNSC terraforming.

That's an action-packed ride in my definition. but year, agree to disagree, and check out those data pads!!!
I know it was a roller coaster ride, it just didn't have the awesome proverbial "surroundings" I was referring to.

You're right, I forgot about the data pads, but tbh, though it's quite interesting, it's only something that elaborates on something we already knew. It's not as big as just what the forerunners did/were, what their war with the flood was about, who the Precursors, who were basically the gods of the Forerunners, were, etc. The data pads only reveal something about the fact that the Forerunners left more behind than we thought and that they looked after humanity. It's really not nearly as big as The Ark or even just Offensive Bias and Mendicant Bias.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 12:59 AM

I know it was a roller coaster ride, it just didn't have the awesome proverbial "surroundings" I was referring to.

You're right, I forgot about the data pads, but tbh, though it's quite interesting, it's only something that elaborates on something we already knew. It's not as big as just what the forerunners did/were, what their war with the flood was about, who the Precursors, who were basically the gods of the Forerunners, were, etc. The data pads only reveal something about the fact that the Forerunners left more behind than we thought and that they looked after humanity. It's really not nearly as big as The Ark or even just Offensive Bias and Mendicant Bias. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The fact that humanity's every move has been controlled by AIs who have the ability to transfer their minds into human bodies isn't a big deal? Riiight.

LightRey
08-21-2011, 01:03 AM

You're right, I forgot about the data pads, but tbh, though it's quite interesting, it's only something that elaborates on something we already knew. It's not as big as just what the forerunners did/were, what their war with the flood was about, who the Precursors, who were basically the gods of the Forerunners, were, etc. The data pads only reveal something about the fact that the Forerunners left more behind than we thought and that they looked after humanity. It's really not nearly as big as The Ark or even just Offensive Bias and Mendicant Bias. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The fact that humanity's every move has been controlled by AIs who have the ability to transfer their minds into human bodies isn't a big deal? Riiight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's a big deal. Just not as big a deal as for example there being a godlike race to the race that built planets and giant ringworlds that can wipe out all sentient life.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 01:20 AM

The fact that humanity's every move has been controlled by AIs who have the ability to transfer their minds into human bodies isn't a big deal? Riiight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's a big deal. Just not as big a deal as for example there being a godlike race to the race that built planets and giant ringworlds that can wipe out all sentient life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In that case, the information H3 revealed was just as small potatoes, because it only expands on things we already knew.

LightRey
08-21-2011, 01:27 AM
In that case, the information H3 revealed was just as small potatoes, because it only expands on things we already knew.
before Halo 3 we knew nothing about a decisive battle between 2 AI's, one of which switched sides and would eventually switch sides again to redeem itself. We also didn't know what the "great journey" actually was, as opposed to something that's triggered by activating the halos. We also had no clue that humanity were not so much the descendants, but rather the successors of the Forerunners. We also had absolutely no idea that there was a first gravemind and that the current gravemind was the second one. Finally, we had no idea that Mendicant bias was split up in several pieces, one of which was basically the main "oracle" of the Covenant and another part was uploaded to Cortana.

Halo 3 was filled with things we didn't know yet that pertained to more than just humanity.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 01:44 AM
before Halo 3 we knew nothing about a decisive battle between 2 AI's, one of which switched sides and would eventually switch sides again to redeem itself. We also didn't know what the "great journey" actually was, as opposed to something that's triggered by activating the halos. We also had no clue that humanity were not so much the descendants, but rather the successors of the Forerunners. We also had absolutely no idea that there was a first gravemind and that the current gravemind was the second one. Finally, we had no idea that Mendicant bias was split up in several pieces, one of which was basically the main "oracle" of the Covenant and another part was uploaded to Cortana.

Halo 3 was filled with things we didn't know yet that pertained to more than just humanity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We knew what the great journey was from halo 2, actually. It isn't anything, really.

And I don't really find the little details of how the forerunners were defeated to be as interesting as the knowledge that humanity was controlled by AIs before they even had created AIs, and that it's possible that some important characters that we know in halo were originally AIs.

EDIT: Anyways, let's agree to disagree. This is an AC forum, after all.

LightRey
08-21-2011, 01:56 AM

Halo 3 was filled with things we didn't know yet that pertained to more than just humanity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We knew what the great journey was from halo 2, actually. It isn't anything, really.

And I don't really find the little details of how the forerunners were defeated to be as interesting as the knowledge that humanity was controlled by AIs before they even had created AIs, and that it's possible that some important characters that we know in halo were originally AIs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And that's where you're wrong. There actually was a great journey. Not all the Forerunners were whiped out. The remaining ones went on a "Great Journey" away from the Milky Way Galaxy to follow in the footsteps of their "gods", the Precursors.

As for the war. It's the very event that shaped the entire galaxy. It's why the Forerunners are gone, why the Halos and the Shield Worlds and the Ark are there, it's why the Forerunners are gone and the Flood is still there. It's much more important than AI babysitters that can literally get up in our heads.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 02:38 AM

And I don't really find the little details of how the forerunners were defeated to be as interesting as the knowledge that humanity was controlled by AIs before they even had created AIs, and that it's possible that some important characters that we know in halo were originally AIs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And that's where you're wrong. There actually was a great journey. Not all the Forerunners were whiped out. The remaining ones went on a "Great Journey" away from the Milky Way Galaxy to follow in the footsteps of their "gods", the Precursors.

As for the war. It's the very event that shaped the entire galaxy. It's why the Forerunners are gone, why the Halos and the Shield Worlds and the Ark are there, it's why the Forerunners are gone and the Flood is still there. It's much more important than AI babysitters that can literally get up in our heads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's also something that we knew about before, but expanded upon. and I really didn't know about that whole double meaning for the great journey. That's interesting, but I never picked up on that after reading through all of the terminals. If you've read Halo: Cryptum, it expands way more on the forerunner-flood war and the precursors. A WHOLE bunch on the precursors.

LightRey
08-21-2011, 02:43 AM
It's also something that we knew about before, but expanded upon. and I really didn't know about that whole double meaning for the great journey. That's interesting, but I never picked up on that after reading through all of the terminals. If you've read Halo: Cryptum, it expands way more on the forerunner-flood war and the precursors. A WHOLE bunch on the precursors.
In that sense everything we we've learned in Halo is something we knew before, but was expanded upon.
Either way, this is getting a little out of hand. let's continue this some other time :P

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 02:54 AM
In that sense everything we we've learned in Halo is something we knew before, but was expanded upon.
Either way, this is getting a little out of hand. let's continue this some other time :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well yes, but that was what you were saying about halo reach, that it only expanded on things we knew, like that was a lesser thing than the other games. But yeah, later.

fanofthecreed
08-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Animuses:
I don't remember joining a Halo forum. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Me niether and I started it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

EDIT: ok found a halo forum for you guys: http://www.thehaloforum.com/halo-reach-discussion/

ProdiGurl
08-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by odovoro:
oh yes! how they malik it! ( see what i did there XD ) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
but even if they malik it to the bone the fans would always buy it
but let's face it all the companies are milking their products

I doubt it's easy to come up with a huge success series, so I would think they would milk them. It's just when they start prostituting themselves & losing credibility in doing it that makes it cheap & crappy & causes fans to walk away.

If they can milk something right, go for it - who doesn't want to make $$ in an economy like we have going today.

By the time Black Ops came out, I read a ton of fan comments everywhere that they were anti COD now. I only played one COD (Modern Warfare 3) that came w/ my Xbox as a bundle (w/ Mass Effect 2) & it was really good - I suppose it could be that I only played 1, not the entire series to notice how repititious it might be? But theres a whole lot of gamers who are definitely complaining since Black Ops was released.
(um,that's not to get onto a new topic of COD by the way - just my observation of milking gone wrong from fan opinion).

RzaRecta357
08-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Oh god. Honestly guys?

Im sick of people saying brotherhood lacked depth and they're worried about revelations because of this.

Brotherhood was just the unfinished end to AC2 they couldn't fit in. It wasn't meant to be as deep as the others. It was just finishing Ezios revenge story. The script was already penned up with AC2.

Revelations is it's own whole new thing and will be amazing.

Brotherhood was MEANT to be like that. I just feel bad for UBI because everyone judges the game on it's own not thinking it was meant to be the end to AC2, which it was.

Chamboozer
08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
The trouble with Black Ops is that it was made by a different company than the one that made the Modern Warfare games. Many people don't realize this and so just assume it's one company pumping out repetative games. As far as CoD goes, Infinity Ward is the company to look to, and Treyarch is the company to avoid.

ProdiGurl
08-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
Oh god. Honestly guys?

Im sick of people saying brotherhood lacked depth and they're worried about revelations because of this.

Brotherhood was just the unfinished end to AC2 they couldn't fit in. It wasn't meant to be as deep as the others. It was just finishing Ezios revenge story. The script was already penned up with AC2.

Brotherhood was MEANT to be like that. I just feel bad for UBI because everyone judges the game on it's own not thinking it was meant to be the end to AC2, which it was.

Thanks for this info.

I'm nothing but impressed so far now that I get how AC works & its style.

Animuses
08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
Oh god. Honestly guys?

It was sold for full retail price, so that means it's supposed to be a full AC game, which it wasn't. The story was meh, and it took up less than 50% of synchronization. There's nothing to praise Ubi for, but they learn from their mistakes and they always improve upon the games' flaws.

RzaRecta357
08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
Oh god. Honestly guys?

It was sold for full retail price, so that means it's supposed to be a full AC game, which it wasn't. The story was meh, and it took up less than 50% of synchronization. There's nothing to praise Ubi for, but they learn from their mistakes and they always improve upon the games' flaws. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regardless of that, the fact remains. It was like the final pages of Corey Mays script that they couldn't fit in.

They deemed it well enough to be made into another game.

The fact still remains it was just the ending to AC2 and people shouldn't expect more out of it. They added Multiplayer which people seem to love and is it's own game on it's own.

They added new features and gameplay.

But in the end it was just the end of AC2s script.

Which leads to my final point that people judge the story to harshly on that merit.

Revelations was penned up fresh and will have tons of amazing moments because of it I'm sure.

You weren't wowed by AC brotherhood because it was the same story just extended. Like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix. It just didn't have the same impact being split in two.

fanofthecreed
08-21-2011, 01:30 PM
I think thats what he means.

Even though it was just the run-off of AC2 with a couple of new features it was still the full price of $60.

ajl992008
08-21-2011, 05:08 PM
brotherhood was good game, i problem was that there was a lot of focus on side missions and leaving the plot not as good as ac2, rome is such a nice city with so much history and the main premise of acb (eizo making a brotherhood etc) could have been executed better in terms of story.oh god the main assassinations were so bad and y didnt we get to kill rodrigo borgia, he died in such a lame way. they fixed my main problem in acr which is they r making a more core experience of the main plot like ac2, i was happy with brotherhood but it cud have done with a couple of extra months development, rome was a place i really wanted to go to in ac so i was very excited about acb, they did a good job but they didnt do the setting justice in terms of plot. lastly screen tearing needs to be soughted out, i got so much screen tearing that it was unplayable but im not gonna discredit the game coz its sti.l good but could have been better. i think they r milking the franchise but in case of acb i made sense to do coz u wud need to locate ezios apple and with acr in terms of getting answers so im pleased and cant wait but we need a new time period and ancestor in 2012.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 06:35 PM
The trouble with Black Ops is that it was made by a different company than the one that made the Modern Warfare games. Many people don't realize this and so just assume it's one company pumping out repetative games. As far as CoD goes, Infinity Ward is the company to look to, and Treyarch is the company to avoid.
Well Inifinity ward was mostly fired for some controversy in which they sued activision for not paying them for MW2. So they're only a shell of a company, and a different one is helping them finish MW3. And MW3 has had two years of dev time, looks the same as MW2. Which was almost universally reviled as being a glitchy and unbalanced CoD game.

Biomedical-Fire
08-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Ubi should've made it an expansion pack like Shivering Isles in Oblivion and Dragon Age: Origins Awakening. Bungie tried it with ODST, while good, it too should've been an expansion of Halo 3. The only reason why Brotherhood was made into a full retail game instead of an expansion, was so they could introduce MP to the Assassin's Creed universe. I don't know why, but all of a sudden game Publisher's seem to think that traditionally single player games need an multi-player aspect to it. When this happens, the single player campaign usually suffers story wise because they are trying to keep the MP from not tanking. Unfortunately, Brotherhood suffered because of this. Hopefully Revelations and ultimately Assassin's Creed III doesn't fail story wise because Ubi is concentrating on the MP to bring new innovations to it.

kosmoscreed
08-22-2011, 03:13 AM
They are milking the franchise?, yes, but in my opinion they are doing it in the right way, making quality games. Not counting the portable games of course.

LightRey
08-22-2011, 06:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
Oh god. Honestly guys?

It was sold for full retail price, so that means it's supposed to be a full AC game, which it wasn't. The story was meh, and it took up less than 50% of synchronization. There's nothing to praise Ubi for, but they learn from their mistakes and they always improve upon the games' flaws. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's more to the game than just the story. It also added MP, it had TONS of new gameplay features and to most people the story was good. It was more than good enough to sell at full retail price.

Ioder
08-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Voted for the first one. Assassin's Creed in my eyes is one of the best series of video games I have ever seen. (Don't start flipping out at me but thats my personal view) So far Ubi has done an outstanding job, and by the way Revelations looks, I'm sure it'll boost the popularity of the series.

hiennaz
08-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Well, no they are not milking the franchise. Actually they are milking it a bit but it was only because the fan wanted more content. Besides, It always meant to be a trilogy. And the Spin-offs are good. If you really think they are milking the franchise, just don't buy the next. They have enough material to make 20, wouldn't they extend it a bit?

luckyto
08-23-2011, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
Oh god. Honestly guys?

There's more to the game than just the story. It also added MP, it had TONS of new gameplay features and to most people the story was good. It was more than good enough to sell at full retail price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compared to some games, Yes, it was enough to sell at full retail. Compared to the other two Creeds, it was weak weak weak weak weak. I heard this from about every gamer I've talked to in person --- "Brotherhood is just a big DLC." Only the diehard franchise fans truly got their money's worth, which I did. BUT, a franchise only gets so many "free passes."

Most of the new mechanics were not very well-executed and not very exciting. Multiplayer, I could care less about. The story was weaker than its predecessors. There was plenty of missions, but there were far too many auto-fail situations for my taste.

I would overlook ALL of these things if Brotherhood had even boasted a big environment(s), then that might have made the difference. But the game went from four or more sandboxes to one, and that problem is purely "rush to market."

Still, I have a lot of faith that Revelations will be very well-executed and much more focused. I think it will be a better game. Will it be big enough? That is the major question on my mind.

Animuses
08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
There's more to the game than just the story. It also added MP, it had TONS of new gameplay features and to most people the story was good. It was more than good enough to sell at full retail price.
I realize they added MP (obviously), but they slacked on SP and if I recall, AC is a SP game.
AC2 added TONS of gameplay feature, Brotherhood did not. It added a FEW.
Also, about most people thinking the story is good, you're assuming again. From what I've seen (all over the internet), people find the story to be weak compared to the others.

LightRey
08-23-2011, 10:13 AM
I realize they added MP (obviously), but they slacked on SP and if I recall, AC is a SP game.
AC2 added TONS of gameplay feature, Brotherhood did not. It added a FEW.
Also, about most people thinking the story is good, you're assuming again. From what I've seen (all over the internet), people find the story to be weak compared to the others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Crossbows, expanded combat from horseback, assassin recruits, the ability to throw large weapons, throwing smoke bombs from a distance, kill streaks, using throwing knives or the hidden gun while wielding the sword or shortblade, the parachute, as I said, TONS.

I'm not assuming anything about the story. The fact that it won an award for it combined with the sales numbers should speak for themselves. You're the one that's assuming most people didn't like the story based on the fact that you only see people ranting about it on the internet, well guess what, that's basically all people do on the internet. People will always be more inclined to speak their mind about something if they didn't like it than if they did, especially on the internet.

Animuses
08-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Those features aren't useful enough to even be considered a lot. Most of those features are minor and the only things that actually changed the gameplay are killstreaks and the recruits.
You got me on the whole internet thing and when game critics give Brotherhood a better score than AC, that's means something is wrong.

LightRey
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Those features aren't useful enough to even be considered a lot. Most of those features are minor and the only things that actually changed the gameplay are killstreaks and the recruits.
You got me on the whole internet thing and when game critics give Brotherhood a better score than AC, that's means something is wrong.
All of that just means one thing:
It's simply your opinion and most people don't seem to share it.

Animuses
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Regardless, you are still assuming since you don't know most peoples' opinion. Your so-called evidence still does not back up the fact that you can not speak for everyone.

LightRey
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Regardless, you are still assuming since you don't know most peoples' opinion. Your so-called evidence still does not back up the fact that you can not speak for everyone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
note the word "seems" I used. As in: I don't know, but evidence suggests it.

Calvarok
08-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Brotherhood was a lot more user-friendly and beautiful looking than the past ACs. Most of the returning features were polished to work better. Gmae critics score games based on what they know the majority of people will enjoy. Brotherhood was a great step towards acessability, you had to overlook way less of its flaws to enjoy it.

What die-hard fans want is totally different from what people who hated the series want. Brotherhood improved a lot in the first area, and slightly in the second.

It was most definately a full game. But it wasn't as good as AC2. I still think that it was far better than AC1, however, because it never made me extremely bored or tired of what I was doing in-game. Some people may disagree with that, but you should know that the majority of people who played AC1 felt the same. And that means that wether you noticed or not, there was a lot wrong with AC1.

LightRey
08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Brotherhood was a lot more user-friendly and beautiful looking than the past ACs. Most of the returning features were polished to work better. Gmae critics score games based on what they know the majority of people will enjoy. Brotherhood was a great step towards acessability, you had to overlook way less of its flaws to enjoy it.

What die-hard fans want is totally different from what people who hated the series want. Brotherhood improved a lot in the first area, and slightly in the second.

It was most definately a full game. But it wasn't as good as AC2. I still think that it was far better than AC1, however, because it never made me extremely bored or tired of what I was doing in-game. Some people may disagree with that, but you should know that the majority of people who played AC1 felt the same. And that means that wether you noticed or not, there was a lot wrong with AC1.
I completely agree with this.

C112408E
08-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I think they should slow down on releasing these Assassin's Creeds so quickly. The story still is good, the scenery is always nice and new for each game, and the graphics get a good update, but I still feel like I'm playing the same game over and over. It's just the little things like the fact that each and every character runs the same way, climbs the same way, fights the same way, assassinates the same way, etc. and it's getting tedious. Not to mention the AI are still as dumb as possible.

Animuses
08-24-2011, 06:39 AM
I have never felt like I was playing the same game over and over (unless I was actually doing so). Not only does each AC game have a different feel, but each city has a different feel.

luckyto
08-24-2011, 09:25 AM

I agree with most of this. That last paragraph was spot on.

- Likely, the scores were generally higher because of the inclusion of multiplayer which seems to be a check on critics' lists. These days, it seems a game doesn't even count unless it has multiplayer.

- In my opinion, and aesthetics are quite subjective; AC1 was a much prettier game.

But yes, it wasn't as good as AC2. AC1 did have some serious issues like becoming bored or tired of repetitive missions. But AC1 didn't have any things which were outright infuriating, which ACB had in far too many places. In the end, I think they are kind of a trade-off. ACB is way overrated by critics and AC1 was way underrated by critics.

As for the general gaming populace, I think AC1 was generally far better received than its review scores would indicate. It's sales figures support that assessment. While ACB is generally less loved than its review scores suggest, at least based on the informal research I do talking to other gamers in my community.

My personal ideal would be the look, scope and weapons of AC1 with the voice acting and story of AC2 and some of the mechanics of Brotherhood (chain-kill, enemy "towers", rebuilding districts of cities.)