PDA

View Full Version : Interesting UbisSoft news....

TooMuchCheese
05-30-2005, 10:55 AM
This may be of some interest to all simmers interested in PF and its follow-ups....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4586171.stm

LeadSpitter_
05-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Thats great news, im a proud american and I really despise the EA games company. I think they are the biggest ripp off company around.

Motor City Online for example and many other titles. They have the least ammount of content, quality and short game play life, they rely on good looking screenshots only to sell games.

I think ubisoft is growing fast, they just need more big sellers. Unfortunatly flights sims are not big money makers but large scale war games land sea and air would be that do not have monthly pay to play fees.

Besides ubisoft, novalogic is one of my other favorite game companies, codemasters, bohemia Interactive and activision as well.

Brother In Arms was a total letdown i have to admit and reminded me of a EA game.

ytareh
05-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Not sure if the photos in the second link were related to Ubisoft but as an irish kid in the late 70s/early 80s they sure brought back memories!

VW-IceFire
05-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
Thats great news, im a proud american and I really despise the EA games company. I think they are the biggest ripp off thier customers company around. Motor City Online for example and many other titles. The have the least ammount of content, quality and short game play life, the rely on good looking screenshots only to sell games.

I think ubisoft is growing fast, they just need more big sellers. Unfortunatly flights sims are not big money makers but large scale war games land sea and air would be that do not have monthly pay to play fees.

Besides ubisoft, novalogic is one of my other favorite game companies, codemasters, bohemia Interactive and activision as well.

Brother In Arms was a total letdown i have to admit and reminded me of a EA game.
Agreed.

UbiSoft has an interesting market its attached itself to. I think they have done well with the Rainbox Six and Ghost Recon franchises even when I don't like what they have done to them. I think Ubi needs to pander to some of the hardcore gamers out there like ourselves and then back that up with some more of the mass market titles. There is a place for both...people will support and respect a company that can do that sort of thing...we'll see if they can pull it off and push it up a notch in the next little while.

Bearcat99
05-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I am surprised the article didnt mention 1C.

SeaFireLIV
05-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Gah! It`s like watching the Borg assimilate everything.

I agree that EA`s respect for its consumers are **** awful. I used to be a fan of them, but after NFS4 and their attitude to the thousands of unhappy, previously loyal customers,
(they totally ignored them), I swore never to support them again. If you think UBI are not very good wait till you get a load of EA in power over all your games!

It`s one thing to want to make a profit, but a wise businessman looks after his customers too!

I just hope EA fail and bad.

Zimbarbo1975
05-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I still remember when EA first started buying out companies like Origin and Bullfrog. They had produced some of my favorite games. Quickly after, many games were canceled and important designers quit. Nothing came out of the spinoffs, or the original companies meaning we lost everything.

PriK
05-30-2005, 07:20 PM
What it boils down to is a monopolistic situation where the conglomerate only makes games that will appeal to the largest consumer body (read: the dumb console controller masses) who are only supposedly interested in nicer graphics, not depth. A console game hasn't seen much innovation in gameplay or depth for many years.

blakduk
05-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Frankly i'm surprised that EA is still in business. As Zimbarbo1975 noted they have a track record of buying up games developers and destroying any innovation they might have had. They seem to have an ethos of going for the lowest common denominator- it sells in bulk but there's bugger-all quality

PriK
05-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by blakduk:
Frankly i'm surprised that EA is still in business. As Zimbarbo1975 noted they have a track record of buying up games developers and destroying any innovation they might have had. They seem to have an ethos of going for the lowest common denominator- it sells in bulk but there's bugger-all quality

I think there's an echo in here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif