PDA

View Full Version : Beginner (How do you play)

pdetine
02-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I just bought this game and after figuring out how to install it, I'm having a little trouble with actually playing it. The single mission, with settings on easy, I find myself just flying around with no on-screen map, no other planes in sight, and not exactly sure what direction to fly. I have played MS Combat Flight Simulator before so that's what I'm using as a reference. That game provided a an on screen map(radar) with friendly's and enemies showing on the radar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a manual anywhere?

Thank you

Romanator21
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
You can go into the controls menu to see/edit certain key combinations for whatever you want to do.

M opens up your map. Depending on the difficulty settings it may or may not show your waypoints, your plane, other planes/objects, etc.

A "manual" can be found in the root folder of the game, as a pdf document.

Crash_Moses
02-13-2011, 04:38 PM
You should also check out the Nuggets Guide stickied at the top of the forum. Lots of good info for beginner in there.

S! And welcome to the game!

Treetop64
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by pdetine:
I have played MS Combat Flight Simulator before so that's what I'm using as a reference.

You're going to have to break a lot of bad habits formed with that game if you're going to be any good with this one. There are a lot of aids to help you out with 1946 at first, but eventually you'll want to gradually wean yourself away from them. 1946 goes so much further than MCFS ever did.

CzechTexan
02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
"M" key will bring up the pilot's flight map.
Put the cursor on the map and click to enlarge or hold the mouse button down to move to the area you want to see.

Putting "icons on" in the Difficulty Settings (before you start the mission) will also help you to see enemy/friendly planes that are close to you.

I suggest you download some user-made missions on other websites. Most popular is Mission4Today.com aka M4T.

...these missions are better than the stock Quick Mission Builder missions, campaigns or single player missions.
You will definately enjoy these more. The mission briefings (before you start to fly) will also help aid in where to go and what to do during the mission.

Downloaded missions are categorized as "single player" or "campaign". Place the single player missions into your IL2 folder's missions/single/and (whatever nation it is) folder.
Campaigns go into your IL2/missions/campaigns/(whatever nation) folder.

DKoor
02-15-2011, 03:48 AM
You know you had your mission completed when you pull out something like on this track;

http://www.filefactory.com/fil...14_3ea_coop_408.ntrk (http://www.filefactory.com/file/b44g5be/n/rsmg14_3ea_coop_408.ntrk)

Bearcat99
02-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Hit The Nugget's Guide linked in my sig. It is a good place to start.

Zeus-cat
02-15-2011, 05:30 AM
The Nugget's Guide mentions my training campaign, Straight From the Farm. It will show you how to take off and land from grass airstrips and aircraft carriers. The missions are all short and most only take a few minutes. Follow th elink below to M4T and download my campaign. Installation instructions are included.